1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
This gun was not designed for "grouping" which has absolutely no practical application for self defense use. Take some serious classes, or buy a target pistol. Sorry I'm having a rough day!:cool:

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'd say you have a very decent-shooting pistol at 15 yards. Some days are better -- or worse --than others. A has been implied, you don't want every bullet going through the same hole in a self defense situation anyway.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Great shooting. The New Agent and Defenders are very nice weapons. I carry my New Agent a lot and it was with me all day and resting next to me on the couch as I type.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the comments.

Maybe I'm just picky, this is what was included in the box when I received my New Agent back from Colt after I had it returned to address a loose fitting slide. Shaking the gun produces a rattle from the slide, this gun has not had more than 200 rds thru it and it has the looseness of 10's of 1000's if you ask me.

I won't get into the firing pin stop they replaced to address the crooked extractor , now I can't get that part out of the slide , it had to have been inserted with a hammer ?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
For a self defense weapon like the new agent thats well within acceptable accuracy. I'd be upset if you said that was a target produced from a gold cup or special combat.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Nice target but where is the pic of the gun ?:scratch: :D

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Thank you for the comments.

Maybe I'm just picky, this is what was included in the box when I received my New Agent back from Colt after I had it returned to address a loose fitting slide. Shaking the gun produces a rattle from the slide, this gun has not had more than 200 rds thru it and it has the looseness of 10's of 1000's if you ask me.

I won't get into the firing pin stop they replaced to address the crooked extractor , now I can't get that part out of the slide , it had to have been inserted with a hammer ?
Yes sir: you are being picky but your understanding of mechanical function is probably responsible. The barrel points where the slide points even though that is in the same direction as where the frame points. Your picture shows the ability of the rattle trap when you dismiss the two fliers.

I want my fps to lock my extractor like a bank vault. A rattle trap with a locked down proper extractor with other proper relationships and good ammo will go bang twice. A bank vault slide frame fit with a drop free fps may not. You will be back to a loose extractor pretty quick. Not a good thing for reliability.

Decimal point zero zero nine (.009) can probably produce rattle if your lines are straight. If a .125 front sight displaces at or about six inches of target at fifty yards to the human eye and a BE shooter can still shoot a four inch group at 50 by hand, how much mechanical accuracy is lost by .009 looseness in slide frame fit at 15 yards when the barrel, slide and sights are a unit? Remember, a .125 front sight displaces at or about 2 inches of target at fifteen yards. As a human, can you reduce the arc of visual movement to less than .009 while you are breathing, heart pumping and holding the gun in one or two outstretched hands?

I may not rebuild engines and I may not have stayed at a holiday inn express, but I have a general understanding of the mechanics and the math at work here. A three inch gun is for saving your bacon, not camp perry.

Read some more, shoot some more, and you will acquire experience. You will develop some ability to understand the mechanism enough to know when some of the Internet folks put form over function.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, working in a machine shop environment makes me look at things mechanical with a more critical eye, my measurements showed at least .015 frame to slide clearance and I haven't measured it yet but at least .005 rise of the front of the slide when it is in battery with a round in the chamber. I also can wiggle the barrel in the front of the slide , but this is a production gun so this must all be acceptable?

Interesting on the loose extractor, I purchased a used Series 80 Colt Govt. model and I can push the extractor easily in and out with the slide assembled. I have yet to fire it so I can assume by your statements that it is going to have issues ?

I did buy a Wilson extractor that I was going to put in the N.A. when it returned as I wasn't expecting that issue to be fully addressed so it looks like a trip to the 'smith to have it installed and tuned is in order for that one?

I'm new to all this so thanks for not making look, and feel, like a complete fool ...

here is the gun in question.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
Nice shooting with trench sights. I think it is good to bag a new pistol just to see what it will do. When you stand up and bang away you find out what you will do.

·
Premium Member
15,729 Posts
They 'fitted' the firing pin stop plate to prevent extractor 'clocking' (excessive rotation). If you will examine any USGI or production-line Colt, you usually will find some minor clocking and an easily removable stop plate. I am not a fan of the tight plate for duty/carry pistols for the reason of difficult disassembly. Other than that, it is difficult to shoot a 'micro' 1911 well, and you are doing it! I'd say the pistol is GTG, but I surely would loosen up the stop plate just a tad. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1saxman, thanks for the props but that shooting is not me , it was the Colt shooter. I guess I will have to be ok with the loose slide, but I'm going to have to damage the firing pin stop to get it out. That is unacceptable to me as that is an item that needs to come out for proper cleaning. My govt. model hadn't had the extractor bore cleaned in sometime as it took about 15 q-tips run thru the bore before it came out clean.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
That is idiotic good accuracy for a New Agent.

Mine kind of... sprays bullets downrange.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Thanks, working in a machine shop environment makes me look at things mechanical with a more critical eye, my measurements showed at least .015 frame to slide clearance and I haven't measured it yet but at least .005 rise of the front of the slide when it is in battery with a round in the chamber. I also can wiggle the barrel in the front of the slide , but this is a production gun so this must all be acceptable?

Interesting on the loose extractor, I purchased a used Series 80 Colt Govt. model and I can push the extractor easily in and out with the slide assembled. I have yet to fire it so I can assume by your statements that it is going to have issues ?

I did buy a Wilson extractor that I was going to put in the N.A. when it returned as I wasn't expecting that issue to be fully addressed so it looks like a trip to the 'smith to have it installed and tuned is in order for that one?

I'm new to all this so thanks for not making look, and feel, like a complete fool ...

here is the gun in question.
I am just quoting to get the Q and A on the same page. I can see where a machinist might not find .015 acceptable on another kind of item but on a sd semi auto that is acceptable for that relationship. You want it to return to battery under the power of the recoil spring. The barrel tilts up on the arc of the swinging link and has to sneak the barrel lugs into the slide recesses. It is trying to go up and go forward at the same time.

The only way to know if the other extractor fit will cause trouble is shooting. Linear movement empty is different than rotational movement loaded or in the process of feeding or extracting. Your linear movement can index off the extractor groove. Rotational movement is another story.

I would shoot the other one first, if for no reason other than your own edification. That is one of the ways of learning acceptable vs unacceptable.

When you are new to something one can get fooled on the net. It is very easy to develop unrealistic expectations. Trust me when I tell you you do not want Les Baer five inch tight on a three inch gun.

When I was new to semi autos after being forced over from revolvers, I had a lot to learn. If the Internet existed then, I might still be scratching my head. As a matter of fact, sometimes I still do.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I like the rattle in my Colts. It lets me know that they are ready to run! My 9mm New Agent is a tack driver, and it rattles a little. The barrel to slide fit is the most important part to me.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like the rattle in my Colts. It lets me know that they are ready to run! My 9mm New Agent is a tack driver, and it rattles a little. The barrel to slide fit is the most important part to me.
You have the gun I wish I had bought , 9mm , but a defender , I need sights to help my contact lens assisted eyesight.

I guess I owe Colt an apology for assuming this is not acceptable judging by the comments of many , and I sure look like a fool , thanks to all and Merry Christmas ...

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
You do not look foolish. Your expectations were reasonable based on your work environment. Your willingness to accept what experience has taught is a good thing and getting more rare all the time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts