1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have a Kimber pro CDP with the ambi safety. There isn't anything holding the safety onto the gun on the right side. Most ambi's come apart easily, how do you take this safety out of the gun, is there a trick here. Also I have had three premature slide lock backs with HP ammo only. The slide lock only comes into slight contact but just enough to lock the slide back. The gun is being broken in and only has 200 rounds through it so far. Is there a spot on the slide lock that can be buffed to stop this. I have three Kimbers and two of them do this. Whats up with this?

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
If your safety is like the one on my Team Match, with no "bottom leg" that is under the right grip panel, like this one.....

Here is how to remove it. Remove the slide, remove the main spring housing (if desired), cock the hammer, and remove the left side safety. Once the left side safety is removed, rotate the right side safety up approx 90 degrees. The hammer pin is longer and has a groove in it which holds the right side safety in place.

Keep rotating the right side safety up until it clears the hammer pin.

Once it clears the hammer pin, it just lifts out. Here is a picture of the slot on the backside of the right side safety.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
M.A. Excellent and thank you very much for the info. Just what I was looking for. You can't even tell that it's connected to the pin nice design and it doesn't move in or out. Thanks again for the great information.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I am supprised it took this long for someone to copy the Kings design.
I really like my Kings.
I may have to order a new kimber ambi for my pro carry

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Yea, really neat design. Took a few minutes to figure out how to remove one, the Kimber manual doesn't go into frame dis-assembly. I am also going to get a couple more of this style of safety from King's.

·
Registered
246 Posts
M.A.,
Would you be so kind as to measure the width of the right-side paddle for me? I'm left-handed and most ambi's are too narrow for comfort on "my" side.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Here are 3 different brands of ambidextrous safeties. The one on the left is a Wilson Combat #192S. The width of the right side paddle is 1/8". The one in the middle is a Kimber, and it is the one in the pictures at the beginning of this post. It's right paddle is 3/16" wide. The one on the right is a King's #201-A Amdidextrous Combat Speed Safety. It has the widest paddle at 1/4" wide. Looks like it would be a lot easier for a left handed person to use due to the wider paddle width. They are available from King's Gun Works (www.kingsgunworks.com/). I don't have a use for the King's safety, so I'll probably sell it. If you decide that you want one, let me know and I can make you a deal on it. It is new, and has not been installed on a pistol. Hope this helped. Andy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Am I looking at the picture correctly?

It looks as though the right side of the Kimber safety rotates up/counter-clockwise to remove, and the King's right side rotates down/clockwise to remove.

If so, how does that affect longevity of the hammer pin and the flange on the safety pin? With a thumb on safety grip, the Kimber safety would be pushing down on the end of the hammer pin during recoil, but on the King's you'd be torquing the interconnect between the two halves of the safety....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Andy,
Thanks for the pics and measurements! The Kimber safety looks like an excellent solution for a right-handed shooter but, unfortunately, not for me. I've tried the Kings safety and it wasn't comfortable without MAJOR work. I'll have to pass on buying another one. The one I'm going to try next is made by Bul Transmark. It's a MIM part but seems to be high-quality. No blending will be required in my situation and I like the groove on the right lever that allows prying it off. This will allow me to set the two pieces together tighter than I am used to with other designs yet still permit easy disassembly.
Picture of Bul safety about halfway down this page:
http://www.bultransmark.com/index2.htm
jsbraby,
The Kimber safety might not put undue strain on the end of the pin. It depends what part limits downward travel of the lever. That dovetail might extend beyond the necessary range of travel. I try to set up my ambi's to stop positively on the top of the right-side grip.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Good catch jsbraby, never noticed that the King's would have to be rotated down/cw to remove, just opposite of the Kimber! Not really sure how this would be affected by torque over the long run.
The Transmark safety looks great, but I have no experience with them, so I can't help with them. Hopefully someone else here can help with info on them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
New ambi safty

How do I plug the hole that is left after I remove the right side ambi? Can I use a left side ambi from Kimber that will have a longer shaft that will go all the way through to the right side?
Thanks

·
Registered
15,576 Posts
A single sided safety will "plug the hole" - you cannot use half of an ambi safety. If you decide to replace the ambi with a standard safety be aware it will NOT drop in and must be carefully fitted to the sear. IMO opinion, unless you are left handed and have no choice ambi safeties are more trouble than they're worth. The King's Gunworks parts are no longer available unless you find a new old stock unit somewhere. King's stopped making parts years ago. Apparently Andy still has a new one......

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Ambidextrous 1911s safeties similar to the Kimber safety are currently availabl from 3 or 4 of the high quality 1911 & parts makers.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
If you buy a single sided safety you will also want to replace the hammer pin, standard.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
A single sided safety will "plug the hole" - you cannot use half of an ambi safety. If you decide to replace the ambi with a standard safety be aware it will NOT drop in and must be carefully fitted to the sear. IMO opinion, unless you are left handed and have no choice ambi safeties are more trouble than they're worth. The King's Gunworks parts are no longer available unless you find a new old stock unit somewhere. King's stopped making parts years ago. Apparently Andy still has a new one......
I recommend for first time thumb safety fitters on a Kimber 1911 is to buy one from Kimber which will appear identical in the area that gets filed for fitting. Compare the original safety and use it as a guide as to where and how much and at what angle you need to file. Go very slow and test often. If you have any doubts on how it should be fit, let a Smith do it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts