1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
The new Gold-Shok? ;) (combination Gold Dot and Hydra-Shok)

Actually, I'm not sure what it is. I'm looking forward to hearing what it is though.

esheato...

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I think it's a Hydra-Dot.

(The new combination Gold Dot/Hydra Shok that Federal/Speer/ATK is out with. Is this the Hydra-Shok replacement we've been hearing about?)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn you guys are good! I asked on another forum and no one came close! ;)

It IS the new Speer Gold Dot Hydra-shok in .40 cal. Ammoman just got them in apparently...

I didn't hear about this one coming out... can anyone shed any light on this? Was this a Speer thing or did Federal ask for this?

-Nick

·
Registered
398 Posts
CCV and I must have been posting at the same time. haha.

Actually, I had no idea what it was. Just a wild a** guess.

Any further information would be nice, and I haven't heard a thing about them either.

esheato...

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
So is that the "hydroshok 2" that was supposed to be in the works? Made by the same guy who designed the Ranger T?

Hope Ammolabs tests it soon.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
So, then, essentially what we have here... is something that expands and penetrates like a Hydra-Shok, yet has the Gold-Dot's bonded jacket?
My faith in JHPs may yet be restored....:D :D

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TRB, yup I would agree... this could be a good thing. But as Mus said, let's wait until the results are in... ;)

-Nick

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Im more interested in the tucked in jacket points. Looks alot like the points on winchester ranger bullets.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Hmm? Like a Ranger? Not to me... to me, it looks like what it probably is... a Gold Dot with a Hydra-Shok post, hence everyone guessing (apparently correctly) that they were Hydra-Dots :)
The Ranger actually has "hills and valleys" around the lip of the of hollowpoint cavity, whereas the GD (and these) merely have slits where the lead shows thorugh. If I recall correctly, the Ranger doesn't show any lead like that.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
They aren't going to sell that terrible killer bullet to mere civilians, are they:eek: :D.

·
Registered
398 Posts
hjk....Shhhh! Don't give them any ideas! I'm always curiuos about new defensive ammo.

esheato...

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
TRB said:
Hmm? Like a Ranger? Not to me... to me, it looks like what it probably is... a Gold Dot with a Hydra-Shok post, hence everyone guessing (apparently correctly) that they were Hydra-Dots :)
The Ranger actually has "hills and valleys" around the lip of the of hollowpoint cavity, whereas the GD (and these) merely have slits where the lead shows thorugh. If I recall correctly, the Ranger doesn't show any lead like that.
I just mean you can see that the jacket is folded over the lead into the inside of the hollowpoint like a Ranger. Its obviously supposed to be a "cutting action" hollowpoint.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's the Gold Shok/Hydra Dot, whatever they are calling it.

The HST is the Hi Shok Two; it's similar to the Gold Dot (GD) and Starfire (SF).

The Hydra Shok (HS), Starfire, Expanding Full Metal Jacket (EFMJ), and HST were designed by Tom Burczynski.

The GD, SF, and HST have pre-stressed cores and have a similar look when they expand, that ridged starfish leg;flower petal look. Not as sharp as the talons on the Black Talon/SXT, or edges of the Golden Saber (GS) jacket, but sharper than most other std JHPs.

Way back in 1991 after Dr. Fackler called the post in the HS a "gimmick" and was sued by Federal (who later dropped the suit), the FBI tested HS bullets with and without the post in them in 9mm, 10mm, and 45 ACP (they removed them by milling). They also compared them to a Federal 10mm JHP using Sierra JHPs and a 9mm 147 HS bullet w no post (melted into the cavity) made for the DoD by Federal.

They concluded:

"After conducting the tests and comparing the results, it was concluded that the post does make a positive and significant difference in the terminal effectiveness and accuracy of the rounds. However, the differences noted varied in each caliber and test.

It is possible that the difference found depends on the design and construction of the bullet. As an example, the test results of the 10mm loading are included. This loading uses a 180gr Jacketed Hollow Cavity bullet manufactured by Sierra Bullet Company, a very well designed, high quality and high cost bullet. When comparing the results of these tests, we found that the Sierra loading was marginally better in terminal effectiveness, and the HydraShok loading was marginally better in accuracy. Therefore it is evident that good design and quality construction are the critical factors in the overall performance of this ammunition. It should be stressed that the HydraShok bullet as manufactured by Federal is far removed from its original design. This bullet has been through several generational changes, and like the Sierra bullet, it is a well designed, high quality projectile.

The post did not, however, make a difference in the 40 round average expansion of the 9mm or 10mm tests. The reasons are seen in the individual shot results. Those rounds (without the posts) which held together tended to expand more than those with the post. Many of the rounds without the post expanded so much so fast that they lost the skirting (rolled back lead and jacket) resulting in fragmentation throughout the wound track and a smaller, almost caliber sized recovered projectile. The rounds with the post individually may not have expanded quite so much, but collectively held together better and created better wounds. The result is very similar AVERAGE results.

However, the percentage of rounds which failed to penetrate to the minimum depth was significantly greater in those rounds tested without the post. It is postulated that the presence of the post engenders more uniform and controlled expansion throughout the entire test series, and this in turn promotes more uniform acceptable penetration. Those bullets where the post was removed or which were designed without a post appeared to expand too much and too fast. Where these bullets did not come apart, the extreme expansion reduced penetration frequently below the minimum acceptable depth. Where these rounds came apart (usually losing some or all of the skirting) the penetration was acceptable but the wound created was noticeably smaller. These observations also held true with the .45 ACP tests, except that with this round the post also appeared to have made a noticeable difference in the average expansion."

"FBI Testing of HydraShok Ammunition," Firearms Training Unit, FBI Academy, Quantico, Virginia 22135; 7/91"

So... a GD (pre-stressed core/bondedjacket) with a HS post may or may not be an improvement, depending on how ya read the above, and what ya want your ammo to do. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts