1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hii'am new here but thought you guys here could help me out.I'am wondering if anyone here has had any experiances with the new auto ordnace 1911's that are being made by kahr arms now?I read an article in this months edition of combat handguns and it gave this gun a very favoriable review.My question is has anyone here shot/worked with one of these guns yet?I know the old auto ordnace 1911's were nothing great but these new ones are suposed to have come up leaps and bounds over the old ones as far as quality goes.I cant imagine a reputable compant like kahr who makes very high quality guns would put out a piece of junk gun seeing as they now own auto ordnace abd this could damage thair reputaion.And lastly if anyone here has shot one of these guns iad realy be greatful for any feed back good or bad because i'am considering this gun for personal defense also would you recommend it for this? being as i have just recived my state pistol permit to carry a pistol or revolver concealed. any help is great thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I read the American Rifleman piece on the Auto-Ordnance .45, also. It said pretty much what others have said on this forum: AO quality has taken a big jump since Kahr bought them. On the other hand, the accuracy data AR presented didn't knock my socks off. There, the AO seems to be in the middle of the pack. On the third hand, though, the gun is still quite inexpensive.

I would like to read a bit of personal experience with this upgraded gun. I wonder if there is any under "Other 1911s"?

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Originally posted by maxwayne:
This month's American Rifleman has a favorable review. Combat Handguns also did a nice write up a couple of months ago.
Well, OTOH, how often do the rags give a negative review?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Originally posted by pxchang0:
Well, OTOH, how often do the rags give a negative review?
How can they when 5 pages later there is a full ad for AO pistols?

I don't even bother with anything but Gun-Tests. And even then, it is a statistical sample of one gun.

The best place for reviews is right here. Many people on the site telling you if the gun is a piece of crap or not.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree that the magazines usually give 'good or better' reviews to almost every gun--still, individual opinions on gun forums are like peoples remarks about doctors/dentists--if you have a good experience or are cured of something, the doctor/dentist is the 'best thing since sliced white bread', otherwise he is a 'bum'--most of us are pretty 'subjective' when we make remarks about anything--my 02 cents worth(after 80 yrs of this world)

·
Registered
101 Posts
As stated in "other 1991s" this pistol is very well made and very reliable, accuracy leaves everything to be desired. It is in fact the most inaccurate pistol I have owned save for the Excam imported "baby" CZ-75 I owned years ago.

66 Posts
You got a dilemma how about mine. I fired a Kimber yesterday at the range. It was the base model and it was like a Colt Trooper or Ruger MKII in accuracy. And reliability was phenomonal with 75 rounds. I want a Kimber the base is priced NIB at $619. Oh easy choice huh, they also have a NIB Goverment rollmarked 1991 in blue for $499. What do I get now and what do I get later?!?!?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have been reading gun magazines for 40 years and have subscribed to a number since 1971. I now get about 6. I can read between the lines and know a good review. I realize that most magazines are unlikely to call a test piece a pos, but they dont do a bad job. Both articles that I read seemed to indicate that this was a "military style" pistol with that level of accuracy and finish. I totally agree that places like this are the best forum to review a number of items.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an AO 1911 in .45 that I purchased a year ago for $250 on consignment. It was a "beater" pistol, nothing fancy about it. At that time there was a transition in the customer service dept.’s from the old AO to Kahr and phones weren't answered, and emails weren't returned. Then after calling for about 2 months with no positive result I received a telephone call from Kahr themselves apologizing for the delay and problems and they were quite willing to assist me. AO's are not the highest quality pistol you can buy. I personally wanted a weapon that I could tinker with and not worry about damaging a $1000 gun. My old AO is now full of new parts and sports a new slide. The only thing still original is the frame and grips. It functions superbly. Look at it this way, once you're at the bottom, the only place you can go is up!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts