1911Forum banner

New Auto Shot Gun for Marines

926 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Lee114
I was scanning one of the gun rags at the local barber shop when I noticed the Marines have ordered 2000 semi-auto shotguns. I did not get to read the article, but does anyone know more about this. They looked impressive.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,846 Posts
I didn't buy the rag, but had the opportunity to read some of it on a stand.

The only thing that immediately struck me as unappealing was the weight (think it was well over 8 pounds), and the pistolgrip/skeleton stock furniture - which I find far less speedy and effective, or comfortable on any shotgun in any scenario.

· Registered
42 Posts
See here for more info on the Joint Service Combat Shotgun:
http://www.benelliusa.com/m4_super90/

I've talked to some of the Combat Weapons boys over here at West Point who actually got to shoot the HK/Benelli prototype (the XM1014) this past spring, and they liked it a lot. They said the new recoil system makes shooting 00 buckshot feel like shooting .223. The picatinny rail may also be a nice touch for mounting optics (like red dot sights, night vision, and holosights), though I don't necessarily see a need for it since shotguns would be used for CQB...

Though the civilian version of the M4 Super 90 is not yet out, a close relative to the Super 90 is the HK/Fabarm FP6, which comes in either pump-action or autoloading action. It features a picatinny rail also, but doesn't have the collapsible stock of the M4.

· Registered
901 Posts
Originally posted by LAK:
The only thing that immediately struck me as unappealing was the weight (think it was well over 8 pounds), and the pistolgrip/skeleton stock furniture - which I find far less speedy and effective, or comfortable on any shotgun in any scenario.
Well, a 9 shot 590 with standard bells and whistles isn't much less than that, though the 870's were closer to 7lbs.

I really like the Tele-Stock, over any Folding Stock. Like with an M4, you can adjust the length of Pull to suit the size of the user, and if that user is wearing LBE/Ballistic Vest's, etc, having the option to shorten it up is handy.

Also, the new Gas System may be useful, though I like the reliabilty of a Pump. No question, Benelli has their $hit together though. Still, it would have been nice if Benelli had used the M3 system, but the issue of weapon's mounted accessories prevented using a recoil Semi-Auto system, and Gas System's have proven reliable in the field, and easy on personell (women) who may be recoil sensitive.

In all, I can't wait for the M4 to be available to us poor slobs, though that Tele-Stock would make it WAY nicer for me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.