1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW BARREL > BAR-STO VS. KART?

I'm thinking about investing in a new barrel, for my friend... My Springfield 5" stainless steel "loaded" model.

The two barrels appear to be very popular, and I'd like to hear ANYONE's OPINION on the matter.

Suggestions for OTHER barrel manufactorers??

Let me hear it!!!

Thank you, in advance...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I take it from your online moniker that you're into stainless steel. For what it's worth, Kart barrels are carbon steel, Bar-sto's are stainless.

I'm the opposite and will be going for a Kart as soon as I have the dinero...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
romulus:

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Here's my .02 cent. I've had both Kart and BarSto's in my guns. What I have found is that if you shoot alot of lead bullets, Karts are the way to go and for jacketed bullets BarSto seem to work better, at least for me, YMMV. I know that Les Baer uses Kart's with his name on them FWIW. I know alot of guys I shoot IPSC with that like the Schumann's too. I believe the Kart's are the least expensive out of the three brands, but I really don't think you will go wrong with whichever one you choose.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Both Kart and Bar-Sto barrels are excellent.

People will argue the relative merits and disadvantages of carbon steel vs. stainless steel for barrels and gun slides and frames forever. Neither is a bad choice!

Perhaps the very best 1911 barrels of all are those from Will Schuemann, see http://www.schuemann.com

·
Premium Member
7,049 Posts
I've heard it said,
"Stainless is great for cutlery but poor for barrels."
With the possible exception of saltwater maritime use,
I'd prefer a chrome-moly Kart barrel.

·
Registered
462 Posts
If you're a lead fan, go with Kart (I've heard in the Forum that Karts shoots lead better).

If you're a jacketed fan, go with Barsto (I've heard in the Forum that Barsto shoots jacketed rounds better).

Kart is Chromoly while Barsto is Stainless Steel.

Karts are readily available, while Barsto is often difficult to get (waits of at least six weeks isn't unheard of), unless your pistolsmith has one available in stock.

Bottom line: both are excellent barrels.

Another option is to go with a "drop-in" although this also requires some fitting.

Don't count out other barrels such as Nowlin, Wilson, Storm Lake, Ed Brown. These are all great barrels as well.

In the end, no matter which barrel you go with, the most important aspect of this upgrade is the pistolsmith fit of the barrel.

Great barrel + marginal fit =
not so good performing barrel

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I wanted to hear, from the experienced experts...

I broke in the barrel with 1000 rounds of 230Gr ball, then went through about 2500 rounds (give-or-take) of 200Gr LSWC - when I shot IDPA.

I'm now into bowling pin matches, and have switched to 200Gr plated flat nose.
These are working out well, and I plan on staying with these.

Thanks to ALL (so far)

Please keep the info coming.

:rock:

·
Super Moderator
7,748 Posts
I like Kart and Lissner barrels. Bar-Sto is good also, but I just prefer the other two. None of my Kart barrels have shot any better or worse with lead or jacketed. I have never shot any lead through my Lissner.

I wont use another Schuemann, ever.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Many years ago, my first non-OEM barrel was a Bar-Sto for a Colt LW Commander.

Since, I've had/have a lot of non-OEM barrels and, except for one Jarvis, all have been Bar-Sto, semi-drop in or match target grade and I've never had a problem with any of them as far as accuracy [lead or jacketed] or function.

FWIW, the Jarvis, for a G34, was one of the worst barrels that I've ever had, bar none and the customer service was as bad. :(

·
Registered
262 Posts
i've always found Kart barrels to be the best value for your money for a gunsmith-fit, un-ramped .45. I've never been able to see a difference in accuracy between a kart barrel and a bar-sto that was not due to how the barrel was fit to the gun in question.

-Jared

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
If I were buying a barrel today it would be Kart unless it was for carry, then I'd go BarSto or some other stainless barrel. I carry IWB and do sweat on my guns.

In the Springfields, Nowlin barrels do well. I put a Nowlin in my stainless .45 loaded, and it worked great and is more accurate than I am (and I'm a pretty good shot). One thing about Nowlin is that they make their barrels a touch too long - the overhang is approaching 3/16" or so. I had mine cut and recrowned.

The FBI Springfield uses a Nowlin Barrel. It passed a really tough accuracy test. Nothing to sneeze at for sure.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd like to offer > many thanks to ALL that gave me their opinions... I knew I could count on you guys!!!

BTW: HAPPY HOLIDAYS...

:rock: :rock: :rock: rock on...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts