1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright,

I have an EFK Firedragon threaded barrel I'm trying to get to work with my browning hi power.

I polished it down to where I can manually cycle the gun with normal effort.

However, when I shoot it, the slide sometimes does NOT go back. It just shoots the bullet and the empty case stays in the chamber.

Also, sometimes it half cycles then STICKS when you shoot it. Sticks HARD. I had to use a rubber mallet to hammer the slide closed, and then it magically cycles by hand easily.

Any ideas? I'm getting desperate.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Need to disassemble your Hi Power take the barrel and make sure it is fitted to both theslide and frame. Take the barrel and slide-insert the barrel into the slide and watch that the locking lugs on the barrel match up with the slide lug recess. As the barrel is slide to the breech face the barrel lugs should easily fall into the slide lug recess and lock-up. If they don't match up or stick in the recess then they will need to be fitted. Once that is done the barrel and frame need to mated. Take the barrel and insert it into the frame lug-drop it into place as it would be under full recoil-the shoulders on the barrel should lie flat on the frame shoulders-if they are raised at all the barrell lug cut and frame lugs do not match and the barrel lug cut will need to be reshaped to mate into the frame lug. Also barrel and slide make sure the barrell isn't binding side-wise in the slide-it should move back and forth smoothly.
Usually the EFKs fit FN Hi Powers fine-on some of the unauthorized fake HP copies they have problems, and will require some fitting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I was able to use your help and the help of a local guy to find out what I was doing wrong.

Too bad that now there is a little extra play with my 9mm barrel. It shoots fine and groups nicely, now I'm just a little concerned about long term wear...if there is a little extra play will that cause damage over time? I can make the barrel rotate from left to right ever so slightly. I don't think my factory barrel does this, but as it is not extended, I cannot check it when the slide is closed. Sure hope I don't need to buy another one.

Also, I am using the factory barrel for most shooting and the EFK for suppressed shooting.

Using your tips I was able to get my .40 barrel to fit and function great in minimal time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts