1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CMC slide and frame gun with a bushingless bull barrel
The accuracy on this particular gun is not up to the standars I think it is capable of
I am considering having the gun re barreled and will need both a barrel and bushing

I will need a gunsmith who can handle it for in a reasonable amount of time.

I have no problem shipping the gun off, Might have ambi safety's installed at the same time.
Quality of the work is most important to me

Accuracy and reliability are paramount as I might make this my duty gun

Reccomendations on a good smith please

·
Registered
43 Posts
Firestar,

What type of barrel do you have? If you want bullseye, match accuracy in a barrel/bushing, try Kart or Bar-sto (I prefer Kart). The Kart E-Z fit barrel, which you can get from Brownell's, comes with a pre-fit, National Match bushing. These are probably the best barrels made in the business, but by no means the only good barrels out there (Schuemann also makes excellent barrels).

As far as smiths go, I can't necessarily tell you a single person to go to. I had Don Williams of Action Works smith a Para/Caspian custom P-14 for me, and it is AWESOME; however, I put Ashley Pro Express sights on it, as I am not concerned about match accuracy beyond 25 yds. Here is a list of excellent smiths who can do work for you. This is, however, by no means an authoratitive list of good gunsmiths (and I am, by no means, an authority on guns), but call them up, and that should get you started:

- Don Williams (The Action Works)
- Richard Heinie (Heinie Specialty Products)
- Dane Burns (Burns Custom)
- George Smith (Evolution Gun Works)
- Scott Mullerkin (don't know if I got the spelling right-- SDM Fabricating)
- Bob Hunter (Hunter's Custom)

I'm sure if you do a search on this forum for 'gunsmith', you'll have plenty of more names to choose from. Good luck and happy hunting!

USMA Pistol

------------------
GO ARMY!!!
BEAT NAVY!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gun is for general carry and possibly duty use
It was set up as a "games" gun but I'm no longer interested in that. Just want the most reliable and accurate 1911 I can get.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts