1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would post a few pictures of the latest Baer for all to enjoy. A couple days ago, I took the afternoon off to pick up this PII and spend some time at the range. There are obviously some modifications made to this one, including magwell, hi-viz front sight, serrated top and rear slide, checkered trigger guard, flgr, button, hex screws, delete ambi, and 3.5lb trigger.

This is the first blued gun I’ve bought in years, been buying all stainless as of late. I’m pretty happy with it, the guys at LBC did a great job with it. It is tight as a vault, hard to rack, and snapped that plastic bushing wrench like a twig…had to throw it away. I suspect those plastic bushing wrenches are thrown in as sort of a joke. I imagine the guy packing the gun just giggles like a kid when he tosses that in.

I think I’m really going to like the front sight, it’s pretty good at an indoor range and great outside. Not sure if I like the hex screws, though; I think I’ve gotten used to the slotted ones. I’ll probably change them out at some point. The magwell looks great; I’ll probably just loc-tite it in place and never remove it. The trigger is awesome, just where I wanted it. The serrations are pretty much just cosmetic, but I really love’em. Only complaint was that I expected a wide thumb safety; it has a tactical one (like the one on the TRS). First impression, the gun scores a solid “A” in quality.

I’ve been able to take it to the range twice over the last couple days since I picked it up, only had one problem with it. Half way through the second magazine the trigger didn’t reset. Gun just wouldn’t fire. I expect that the gun must have been slightly out of battery due to the tight barrel lug fit (which is really tight, by the way). I racked the slide and kept shooting. About 300 rounds so far, that was the only issue. The trigger really makes this gun easy to shoot. I’m amazed at how easy hammers are with a trigger like this. I’ve been able to put it through its paces already in speed drills—runs like a top. The gun is breaking in nicely, but still has a way to go. Seems like it took at least 1000, sometimes closer to 2000 rounds before my other Bears were broken in completely. I still can’t really press check either of them easily. I plan to shoot this gun in a match this weekend, looking forward to it.

Customer service gets an A+. Tim, Stacey, and Angie (I think those names are right) were pretty patient. I changed the order around a bit (OK, more than a bit), but they were VERY patient and always polite, when I would have told myself to go away and hung up on myself.

·
Registered
367 Posts
So I guess all that ammo is just what your going to use to break it in?:D

I'm a soon-to-be Les Baer owner, should be about another 6 or 7 weeks before mine comes in. I'm still a bit concerned about the whole tightness thing.
It is tight as a vault, hard to rack, and snapped that plastic bushing wrench like a twig…had to throw it away. I suspect those plastic bushing wrenches are thrown in as sort of a joke. I imagine the guy packing the gun just giggles like a kid when he tosses that in.
I was looking at a "lightly used" Baer at the gun store last weekend, and the bushing was completely chewed up! The previous owner apparently got fed up and used a pipe wrench to get the bushing off. Not a happy picture.

Glad you are enjoying yours! Look forward to hearing how it mellows as it breaks in...

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Congrats on the new Baer. Lube it up with Breakfree and buy a case of ammo. I like Federal American Eagle ( Natchez shooting supply is selling it for $8.35 a Box if you buy a Case, 20 boxes or more). as for the Bushing wrench, Brownells sells a Nice Aluminum one. It wron't scratch your gun and is a Must have for Baer owners. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
The serrated top is a very nice touch.

-Dave

·
Registered
809 Posts
Is anyone else having a hard time seeing the gun in the pics? I'm wondering if it is my monitor. The pics are very dark on my end.

Thanks, Theo. :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Joel45-nice pistol and creative photography interesting with the ammo in the background. Enjoy the Baer.

Robert1911-don't be concerned, all pistols need some break in time. After you get 500+ rounds thru it try some Slide Glide and it will rack like it's on roller bearings. Just use regular lubercant for the break in period so the slide and frame will do some lapping for a perfect fit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts