1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Administrator
74,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up, there's a new "miniseries" movie about Bonnie & Clyde that'll be showing on A&E, History, and Lifetime channels, I think around December 8th or so. All the promotional stills show the actor who plays Clyde Barrow wielding a 1911, so it might be of some interest if it doesn't otherwise suck.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
One thing I know about it is that Holliday Grainger plays Bonnie.

She was most recently seen as Lucretia in The Borgias. The young lady has a problem keeping her clothes on.:(

·
Registered
487 Posts
Why is there so much bad guy/criminal worship in today's movies/media? Do we really need to push such shows considering behavior of individuals in today's society? I really wonder.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Why is there so much bad guy/criminal worship in today's movies/media? Do we really need to push such shows considering behavior of individuals in today's society? I really wonder.

Really? Today's movies/media?

I'm pretty sure this isn't the first portayal of Bonnie and Clyde, Dillinger, et al.

People like the bad guys, who don't play by any rules other than their own.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I'd rather see on one Jelly Bryce but we aren't driving the dynamics.

·
Registered
490 Posts
This is not a modern phenomenon. Bonnie & Clyde, John Dillinger, Al Capone, etc, etc, etc, all had hero worshiping followers while they were alive too. Mankind has always had a fascination with evil villains. Historically (even presently) they are broadly seen as strong, decisive, leaders, not afraid to buck trends and champion change. Heck, why do you think Hitler was democratically elected!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just a heads up, there's a new "miniseries" movie about Bonnie & Clyde that'll be showing on A&E, History, and Lifetime channels, I think around December 8th or so. All the promotional stills show the actor who plays Clyde Barrow wielding a 1911, so it might be of some interest if it doesn't otherwise suck.
Along with the 1911, I understand Clyde Barrow also favored a B.A.R. that had some of the barrell cut down.
I'll be watching this series as I kinda like this type show.
Hard to say what other guns of the day we'll see. I'm guessing a Thompson.
I'm also sure this will be based on fact-as someone saw it! :D

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
One thing I know about it is that Holliday Grainger plays Bonnie.

She was most recently seen as Lucretia in The Borgias. The young lady has a problem keeping her clothes on.:(
Have you turned in your Man Card, or never had one? :hrm:

It's entertaining. Bogart was a superstar "badass" long before color film. You sound like your Man Card is in serious doubt as well.

Bob

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
That was actually a phenomenon of the bandits during The Great Depression. Charles Arthur Floyd was known as The Robin Hood of the Cookson Hills in Oklahoma due to his reputation of tearing up bank mortgages during robberies. In the days before computers, that was a big deal. It made it hard to find him in Oklahoma.

People were struggling due to the bank collapses and the government seemed to protect the gangster bankers.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I would rather see a movie about Frank Hamer.

Rosco
I would rather see one about Charlie Miller. The fact is, Hamer wasn't a ranger nor was he in Texas when the ambush took place. His participation and leadership of the ambush was hardly a 1 Riot, 1 Ranger ethos.

Charlie Miller was a 1911 guy and Frank Hammer was a single action colt guy.

·
Registered
177 Posts
That was actually a phenomenon of the bandits during The Great Depression. Charles Arthur Floyd was known as The Robin Hood of the Cookson Hills in Oklahoma due to his reputation of tearing up bank mortgages during robberies. In the days before computers, that was a big deal. It made it hard to find him in Oklahoma.

People were struggling due to the bank collapses and the government seemed to protect the gangster bankers.
Uhh, it's hard to find anyone in the Cookson Hills.
Ever been to Marble City? I have, and it is kind of scary.

·
Registered
13,561 Posts
Hollywood will make whatever we will watch. We don't watch shows/movies just because they make them. They try & often fail.

When a show or film is made, & nobody watches it, it bombs & disappears. More shows & movies have gone extinct than have made the Bigtime.

So what you see on TV & in theatres is the result of the ultimate democratic system. The People have spoken--- Glitter sucked. Ishtar sucked. & Fly Fishing With Gary is barely holding on to it's 2:00 AM time slot. We vote with our viewership.

Now, is a movie about Bonnie & Clyde the worship of evil? No. It's entertainment. All it has to do is be interesting to watch. If it's lame, I'm out. If it's fun, I'm in.

As for guns, I would love to see one of those Remington Model 8's with the rare long, curved magazine.

·
Administrator
74,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Bonnie and Clyde were both cop killers at the time but Hollyweed somehow love to glamorize vicious villains.
You guys are hitting on one of the most curious aspects of American culture- not only do we have a fascination with outlaws but the rest of the world seems fascinated by them as well. Why else do you think the Wild West and Chicago gangster era are such indelible parts of American culture that even people in France or Saudi Arabia instantly recognize the image of a cowboy or gangster, and even the Tommy Gun or Single Action Army? It ties right in with our fascination with firearms as well. When we think of famous Americans we don't just think of Abraham Lincoln or Elvis Presley. We also think of Jesse James, Billy the Kid, John Dillinger, "Pretty Boy" Floyd, and yes Bonnie and Clyde. The fact that these last six individuals were really nothing more than cold-blooded killers doesn't seem to hurt their popularity with the media, in fact it was often embellished. We know who these people are but I doubt anyone on the street could name even one of their victims. We're just as bad about it today, for how many of us could name just one victim of Adam Lanza, Eric Klebold, or even Ted Bundy?

Like it or not outlaws are a part of American life. It's just funny how people are both fascinated and repulsed by it at the same time.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Villains are infamous in all cultures. It's just that we have Hollywood to help promote ours.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
Stop thinking it's just Hollywood or the USA that has gangster/crime films, ala Bonnie and Clyde and Public Enemies.

The French are known for producing very high quality gangster films. Among their best is one that covers the career of Jacques Mesrine. The two--film
story of Mesrine has the general title of Mesrine: Public Enemy. His ending was similar to Dillinger and Bonnie and Clyde. The French police machine gunned him and his lady right on a busy Paris street. It stars Vincent Cassel who may be known to Americans for his starring role in Eastern Promises as well as comic relief in Oceans Twelve, or was it Thirteen----no Twelve. Or maybe Thirteen.:confused:

And while Leon: The Professional maybe thought of as an American film, it's really just as much French because of its director.

I particularly like the French '40s and '50s crime films because all the handguns seem to be German P-38s and U.S. 1911s. Oh, oui, 1911s.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Really? Today's movies/media?

I'm pretty sure this isn't the first portayal of Bonnie and Clyde, Dillinger, et al.

People like the bad guys, who don't play by any rules other than their own.

The new Bonnie&Clyde will probably be based more on fact than the movie made a few years ago.

If memory serves me,Warren Beatty was Clyde Barrow but I can't remember who played Bonnie. It was full of bullets flying & get away chases.

I think it's been on as a TV movie several times.

Speaking of violence in tv movies, who all saw the Hatfields & McCoys on History channel? Supposedly based on fact.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts