1911Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Just a reliabilty CYA on this one. I used a Wilson and Ed Brown on a couple others and there were no issues. Are you thinking its unnecessary? Maybe save the higher shelf for problem feeders?

·
Premium Member
8,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Nice work. Must have taken awhile to do this.
Thank you. It did take longer. But the time passed quicker since my mind was more engaged. The watching, assessing, and adjusting the texture beat just filling inside the borders with stipples. The border takes a spell to do also. I have other ideas for this.

I have been observing the lighting effects on the previous frontstraps I did previously. On this one I used two different punches to get the psuedo-holographic effect. If a plan doesn’t work I can just stipple over it. I think it was the last front strap or the one before it, I didn’t put characters in the strap, it was more of a mild patterned texturing. The whole idea is not to have bold, discreet borders. Its more of a blended effect I am seeking.

Reactions: japsco113

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Just a reliabilty CYA on this one. I used a Wilson and Ed Brown on a couple others and there were no issues. Are you thinking its unnecessary? Maybe save the higher shelf for problem feeders?
Yeah. With the higher shelf now you have to see if your mag body is hitting your ejector and file clearance if it is and you also eat up some of the space for the mag stop and frame to play together.

You should check for those things regardless but with the higher shelf, those issues might present themselves unnecessarily.

·
Premium Member
8,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Gotchha, thanks

·
Premium Member
8,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ejector installed and preliminary tuning done. I may shorten it after doing some dummy round ejection checks. Assembled pistol in the rough awaiting sights, test firing, and final tuning if needed. Then the final blending and parking.
Bumper Automotive exterior Gadget Carbon Electronic device
Wood Blade Tints and shades Automotive exterior Musical instrument accessory
Wood Composite material Wood stain Tints and shades Electric blue
Tool Wood Rectangle Auto part Strap
Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry
Air gun Wood Trigger Everyday carry Gun barrel

·
Registered
52 Posts
Any updates? I am doing a similar build with the same Remsport Slide and a Caspian frame. I was looking to parkerize as well, just curious how it turns out, if there is any color variations and what solution you use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Sorry, I got distracted with obtainimg a companion piece to the pistol…

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Reactions: Topperdog

·
Premium Member
8,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well, installed sights and took the in the rough pistol on its maiden voyage. Initially it ran well and ai had to drift the rear sighta little to the right. Used 2 other mags and some feed issues. I had ensured magazine and cartridge would not contact the EGW ejector nose when inserting a magazine and while the mag was in the pistol. However, the high shelf EGW mag catch caused the case rim to contact the forward half of the ejector when feeding, not in the back during the bench static checks. So learned another bench tuning step. Looks like reduction rhinoplasty surgery there (ejector nose) is in order. (Already done).

Some pics of fitting burnish marks.

Blue marked pics are barrel locking point against slide lugs.
Bicycle part Rim Gas Carbon Cable
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Carbon

Orange ring pic is where the barrel is cammed into the bottom of the barrel bushing.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Gas Automotive design Tints and shades

Red ring pic is where the barrel is cammed into the topnn of the barrel bushing.
Office supplies Tints and shades Nickel Metal Tool

Two pics of the top and rear of slide stop pin with hard contact by both barrel lugs.
Household hardware Auto part Door Metal Titanium
Wood Tints and shades Auto part Metal Font

·
Premium Member
8,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Now some performance info. Did some closer in stuff to adjust the sights, the pistol was shooting Ammunition used was Winchester White Box, 230 grain ball.
Target shown was about 28 yards, standing two hands. Two seven round mags. The red circles were called fliers.
The green circled shot was a lower recoiling round though not a squib. The gun shoots. m

Wood Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Gun barrel
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Wood stain
Sports equipment Wheel Precision sports Sports Recreation

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Did you ever correct that ejector issue? You filed off the thicker part of the ejector that puts the nose closer to the breech face making it a government profile ejector.

I’ve found that a 9mm ejector likes to hit high for good ejection. It looks like you have a pretty good bevel on the top making it contact lower on the case.

·
Premium Member
8,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
  • Haha
Reactions: Art Blackstock

·
Premium Member
8,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Did you ever correct that ejector issue? You filed off the thicker part of the ejector that puts the nose closer to the breech face making it a government profile ejector.

I’ve found that a 9mm ejector likes to hit high for good ejection. It looks like you have a pretty good bevel on the top making it contact lower on the case.
I shortened and reshaped the ejector but I haven’t test fired it again. Refined the trigger pull.l a little.

The ejection of the pistol was good even with the no magazine in the pistol test. The pistol consistently kicked the brass to about 4:30 and about 8” above the pistol as observed in my peripheral vision. I know the direction of ejection was consistent because all the brass was in the same area to right and behind me.

While investigating the misfeeds I could not get a loaded round to eject unless it was brisk movement of the slide. Then I had to remove the mag to get the round out. So an inertial feed occurred one couldn’t roll the pistol to get the round out.

Here is a pic after the rhinoplasty. If the brass kicks out too high or bombards my forehead I’ll undercut the ejector nose and lose the bevel if I have to.
Wood Grey Gas Metal Monochrome photography
Rectangle Grey Tints and shades Monochrome photography Font
Grey Automotive tire Rectangle Wood Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
8,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
point taken. Thank you.

I remember John Harrison saying, “That all important top inside corner” in a thread once. I have typically had good results this way.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts