1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made it to the range today to try out some reloads for my new rifle. The results were very pleasing.

The load: 300gr Barnes TAC-TX, WLP primers, 35.0gr Reloader 7 (Rx7) powder with an OAL of 2.250", once fired Starline brass.

The rifle: Wilson Combat Tactical Recon, iron sights, rail mounted bi-pod

The range: 50 yards

My biggest weakness would be 62-year old eyes. Birght sun, scattered clouds, and 10 to 15 mph breeze coming left to right.

Since this is a new caliber and data is pretty scarce I'm feeling pretty good about these.

Average velocity 1,450.72 fps, Extreme spread 30.59 fps, and standard deviation 12.88 fps.

It appears this old dog has learned something new. :)

The photo is a five shot group. Heck I'm not this good with a scope most of the time.

Grumpy

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Good shooting, you did well on your first reloads. :p

Nice rifle sounds like you will be busy with new loads. Iron sights are fun.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Holy mackerel, Grump. That's good! And an SD 12.88 !

The wind would have trouble upsetting those 300 grain
bullets, but especially on a breezy day that's a good group.

This should be your home defense rifle,
you post that target on the front door
and the dogs can sleep like a baby all night.
No one gonna stop at that house.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Nick’s right Grumpy, if you were bucking 10 – 15 mph wind that is impressive shooting
Cool to see a nice tight group with BIG holes in it!

Long live the 300 grainer Brother!
Love the 300 grainer, in anything that will shoot one
I even like saying “300 grainer”…..300 grainer…..yep, totally sconless.

Looks like you got yourself a new fun machine up…and running well.

Continued good luck with the SOCOM Grumpy, you deserve it. :)

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Loading for the SOCOM has given me some sleepless nights. First off working the cases can be a real pain. They are so short that if your expander/decapper rod is not adjusted correctly the neck will still be being resized when it is being expanded (not a good thing). I had to remove two stuck cases before I worked out the issues. I ended up decapping the cases with a universal decapping die, then resizing them. I also have a new found love for Imperial Sizing Wax. :D I then expand the cases with a M die, that's a lot of steps but the results seem to be worth it.

Gerk, I wonder how those Barnes TAC-TX bullets would work in my .458 Win Mag? Compared to the Hornady and Remington bullets they are more expensive but I can't argue with the results. :rock:

Grumpy

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Loading for the SOCOM has given me some sleepless nights. First off working the cases can be a real pain. They are so short that if your expander/decapper rod is not adjusted correctly the neck will still be being resized when it is being expanded (not a good thing). I had to remove two stuck cases before I worked out the issues. I ended up decapping the cases with a universal decapping die, then resizing them. I also have a new found love for Imperial Sizing Wax. :D I then expand the cases with a M die, that's a lot of steps but the results seem to be worth it.

Gerk, I wonder how those Barnes TAC-TX bullets would work in my .458 Win Mag? Compared to the Hornady and Remington bullets they are more expensive but I can't argue with the results. :rock:

Grumpy
TAC-TX BT .458 SOCOM

DIA. .458
WEIGHT. 300 gr.
LENGHT. 1.235” (Long legged little bastard Huh?)
S.D. .204
B.C. . 236

You know Grumpy, the big .458 WIN Mag may like them.
Most conventional 300 grain bullets in this caliber have a B.C. in the ~ .190 - .200 range.
The .236 of the TAC bullet is a noticeable improvement for bullets this diameter and weight, even higher than many 350gr. bullets.
They may fly really nice in the big Magnum.

And you’re right, seems like the Barnes folks price there bullets with lots of “pride” in them, if you know what I mean.

:)

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's good shoot'n. You are gonna love that 458 socom.
It's a fun round to load.
One thing I've learned a lot about reloading for the SOCOM is how to deal with a stuck case. :grumble:

I stuck a couple before I got my procedures worked out. Today while working up the cases from the last range trip I didn't like the "bell" I had placed on the cases, so I ran them through the resizer again to remove the existing bell and was then going to re-expand them. Just got done resizing them, only going to remove the bell so I ASSUMED a little lube on the neck only would do. Think again Grumpy! Stuck the first one I tried. After removing the stuck case I applied lube to the entire case and the rest of the lot went without problems. :)

Moral of this story, do yourself a favor, don't take shortcuts.

Grumpy

·
Banned
4,947 Posts
I want one so, so bad. How does it shoot? What's the recoil like?

What length barrel do you have? I thought advertised for the 300 grainers was like 2000 fps. Is 1450 your accuracy load or just where you started?

I think this would not only be a good home defense round, but would be killer (pun intended) for those dirty communist white tails trying to infiltrate my FOB.

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want one so, so bad. How does it shoot? It shoots like a dream. The SOCOM is the first AR style rifle I've owned so I didn't know what to expect. I was VERY PLEASANTLY SURPRISED. :)What's the recoil like?Quite a kick but far from unmanageable.

What length barrel do you have? 16" I thought advertised for the 300 grainers was like 2000 fps. Is 1450 your accuracy load or just where you started? This is just where I started. There is so little "factory" information out there I wanted to start low and work up. I could push them faster (I believe I have 3 or 4 grains to work with if I want to go higher)

I think this would not only be a good home defense round, but would be killer (pun intended) for those dirty communist white tails trying to infiltrate my FOB. I have heard it works great on hogs so a whitetail would be well within its capabilities. I have not put any optics on mine (yet) but at 50 to 75 yards it's spot on. Most of the whitetail habitat in my area is wooded areas and fence rows so anything over 75 yards is normally not needed. BTW, :( Illinois only allows shotgun and black powder so I'd need to travel to try it out on whitetail.
I emptied my "rat hole" to get this one. It's a Wilson Combat Recon Tactical with their TR-QDSS flip up sights and their TR-VP2T bi-pod in Armor-Tuff black. :rofl: I guess this one is truly a "black rifle". :rofl:

Grumpy

·
Banned
4,947 Posts
Thanks for the answers and picture. I would just need a top end but I still have a long way to go. If you want to come up here to the UP, season starts this Friday. Out of state license is $138 but I've a couple empty bunks at camp. You just have let me try that 458 out and you're in.

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the answers and picture. I would just need a top end but I still have a long way to go. If you want to come up here to the UP, season starts this Friday. Out of state license is $138 but I've a couple empty bunks at camp. You just have let me try that 458 out and you're in.

Grumpy

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I've had a Wilson upper on backorder for 4 months now. They quoted me 6-12 months, but I can't wait to get it!

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've had a Wilson upper on backorder for 4 months now. They quoted me 6-12 months, but I can't wait to get it!
Mine seemed like it took forever but in fact it was only 9 months. I ordered it in June/July of 2012 and took delivery in mid February. After the incident at Sandy Hook I got really worried I might not get it after all.

Believe me when I say it will be worth the wait. :D

Grumpy

·
Banned
4,947 Posts
I've got to start saving my beer and pop cans for one of these.

Who all makes these, Teppo Jutsu, Rock River, Wilson... They're all like 850 and up. I usually piece these things together by buying an upper, then the barrel, then a bolt, BCG.... Kind of distributes the pain over a longer period of time.

Who sells the individual parts?

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Earl, I'm doing same thing. But right now EVERYONE is dry of parts for every cartridge
except 223 and 300BLK. So we just gotta wait and be patient.

The heck with patience, get Grumpy up there and shoot his smoke pole. Woo Hoo !!!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Here it is.

Grumpy
Nice photo of the Wilson rig Grumpy

If you have time, post a pic of a finished cartridge as I’m sure there are some reading this thread who don’t know what the .458 SOCOM looks like.
Very cool looking round

1 - 20 of 26 Posts