1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had some initial problems with my new CBOB that I discussed last week. It had to do with seizing after a few ‘grabby’ racking attempts. I thoroughly cleaned and lubed using Hoppes Elite gun oil (no local sporting goods or gun stores carried FP-10, I had to order online). I could not see or feel any burrs on the slide or frame, but I still had serious seizing problems that resulted in a partial dis-assembly and using a wooden mallet to drive the slide from the frame, more than once. I covered the end of the slide with a microfiber cloth. After a few evenings of trying to get my CBOB to function correctly, I contacted Keith at DW to discuss. It was decided to return the CBOB to DW. I was depressed to say the least! As I was waiting for the RMA FedEx label to arrive, I got my FP-10. My CBOB was already bubble wrapped and waiting to go but I thought I would try the FP-10 on it, so I unwrapped the CBOB, disassembled, drove the slide off the frame, and cleaned and lubed with the FP. I reassembled it and tried racking it, it was still grabby but less so, and while before it would only return to battery at about 60% and seize, it now closed to about 30%.
I decided to use my dremel tool with some wheel and bullet shaped felt tips to polish the contact areas on the slide and frame with a very mild metal polish and some jewelers polish. I called Keith to discuss this with him and he agreed that it would do no harm to polish all contact surfaces.
I spent a couple hours over a few evenings doing this, then cleaned everything, used large amounts of FP and put everything back together. I tried racking it and was able to rack it ~ 10 times with little grab and no seizing. When I released the slide from the locked position, it returned to ~90% and did not seize at that point. I racked it a few dozen times and now the slide returned all but a ¼” from closed, and I was able to close fully by just pushing with my thumbs – success!

The next day I got out to the range and put ~175 rounds through it using 3 different magazines, the two DW, a Wilson Combat 47D 8 round from my Colt as well as a 10 round CMC. I had two FTF’s – both times the second round out of the 10 round CMC, all mags and the CBOB worked flawless after that. The CBOB was getting good and warmed up so I added some fresh FP and opened a box of WWB 100’s and did some rapid fire at center mass, just trying to heat up the slide. My target is shown below; all shooting was at 15 yards.

I apologize for the long read!

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Welcome to the DW Forum, one Mod. is a Master PistolSmith (Dave),
and one member is a Custom Pistol Grip Maker (Sarge43).
We will give you info, and our opinions, and yes, we joke around sometimes amongst ourselves.

Glad you fixed your own CBOB, not bad shooting, but why the Fliers????????

Clyde

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad you fixed your own CBOB, not bad shooting, but why the Fliers????????

Clyde
The only time I used the sights for accuracy was the 4 red circles, all the other shots were as fast as I could pull the trigger, point and shoot, both eyes on the target. the fliers were most likely the last few rounds out of the magazine, probably the 10 rounder.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
I'm glad it worked out for you.

I'm sure after experiencing the problems you were having, you were probably sick to your stomach. :barf: I would've been.

I'm sure you felt overjoyed when all that lead starting flying with minimal problems.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I am glad it all worked out for you. Enough can't be said for using the right oil. :)

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
Soon as you said "I got out the dremel" my first thought was "Aw hell..."

Keith gave ya the go-ahead though, and it worked! Glad you're back in business. :rock:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I believe DW's get homesick and want to go back to their workshop the only home they've ever known,that's why they get a little grabby. One of my three gave me a fit when I was new to nicely fitted DW pistols. I had to send it in, even though DW service is top notch the seperation anxiety is atroshous. :bawling: Good oil and a fine tool stone and some magnifiers along with attention to detail and TLC will make a big difference and help keep your baby at home and flawless function on the range. Just like a newly assembeled hi-performance engine once broken in properly she'll run ! :rock:

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Maxniman I had to agree with 2TA. When I saw the word Dremel, my stomach lurched. Really glad that it worked out for you. The only lube that I've ever used on my CBOB is FP-10. I racked the slide at least 300 times with FP-10 before cleaning and relubing prior to my first range event. Great gun, great lube, great story on yours.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maxniman I had to agree with 2TA. When I saw the word Dremel, my stomach lurched. Really glad that it worked out for you. The only lube that I've ever used on my CBOB is FP-10. I racked the slide at least 300 times with FP-10 before cleaning and relubing prior to my first range event. Great gun, great lube, great story on yours.
I have used the Dremel and felt pad combo to polish the ramp on some other weapons I own and know it does a great job of polishing the metal surfaces - it contains a very small amount of abrasive material. It did a great job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts