1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CD fans. I just received a new full size CD two tone, stainless frame/blue slide. This is known as the Superior Grade model. Suggested retail is $469.95. This gun was ordered from a distributor for a customer, and was the first CD that I've seen up close.

First impression was fair to good. The black plastic grips are cheap but are easily replaced with nice wood or rubber.

The frame is a dull finish stainess with no checkering or grooving on the front strap. Again this is remedied fairly inexpensively by the use of wrap around rubber grips. All the components of the frame are blue steel including a flat blue/black steel spring housing, mag release button, beaver tail grip safety, extended slide release and ambidextrious safety. These items seem to be fitted well, and their coloring is uniform. Hammer and trigger are what CD terms "combat" variety. The frame is marked KBI & Made in Philipines on the bottom in front of the trigger guard.

The slide is a dull satin (read un-polished) dark blue/black with a high ramped front and a high rear fixed sight. Both sights are dovetailed into the slide and offer a good sight picture. There are slide cuts fore and aft which I personaly don't like, but some people do.

Finish on the slide is somewhat of a concern. On the right side of the slide, just under the ejection port is what appears to be a rusty palm or fingerprint swirl. This appears to be a result of a failure to clean the slide before the bluing process as the white of the bare metal shows through under the rust. This may be fixable with a touch of cold bluing, but then again, why should you have to on a new gun? I am surprised that this gun got through the quality control process as it is very noticible. I also noticed some binding between the slide and frame when working the slide.

The customer (a police officer) has refused delivery because of the blemish on the slide but otherwise was satisfied as to the appearance. He thought that the CD was a good value for the money and was disappointed that he will now have to wait for a replacement before he can shoot it.

My impression of this pistol is that the name "Superior Grade" is a serious misnomer. It is basicaly a two tone field grade quality pistol at best. The obvious finish problem on the slide and the frame to slide fit indicates poor quality control.

On the other hand, it comes with many standard features that most shooters pay extra for. It would have been interesting to test this particular pistol at the range for function and accuracy.

Overall, I think the CD pistols have some potential as shooters. The frame and parts appeared to be well made and put together. Based on the cost of a stripped stainless frame and equivalent parts and labor (or time) to install and fit them, the CD may have some value as a base for a buildup. It may also be a good choice to use with the Carbine Conversion Unit made by Mech-Tech. Finaly, you are not going to get a highly polished, top of the line pistol for the cost a CD. You may however end up with a functional, servicable, pistol that looks good from a distance. ;> ). After all, you get what you pay for!

(note; the above writer is a 24 year police veteran, the last 14 as a command officer in a small department. He is the department range officer and armorer among other things and has held an FFL for 20 years {not quite the stereotypical basement gun dealer as vilified by the ATF and Clinton}. He's been a fan of 1911s and Jeff Cooper since the early 1970's and his first duty pistol was a self purchased nickel plated Colt series 70 government model carried cocked and locked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to hear about the slide problem, but hopefully it will taken care of promptly. I would like to know if you think the frontstrap is thick enough for checkering? If it is, for what you pay, I think it would be a good base for building. Let us know how the new one shoots. Thanks, Terry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts