1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New CD

I bought a Charles Daly because I was bitten by the "cheap 1911 to tinker with" bug. It has Novak sights (dovetailed front no less), lowered and flared ejection port, front cocking serations, comander style hammer and beavertail grip safety with release button (memorygrove, whatever you want to call it) and the worlds worst magazine.

I will get some more Wilson Combat magazines for it, I only have one at this time.

If this were your pistol, what would you change first? I have my own ideas, but I'm interested in other ideas as well.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

I hunt, therefore I am.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I would definitely change the extractor, mine wore out at only 700+ rounds. This seems to be a common problem with CD's. I've installed a Wilson's but I've heard Ed Brown's are good too. Also, I have good luck with McCormick Mags and their hammer/sear combo. 'hope this helps and safe shooting!

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I can't stand cast extractors on any gun, but mine was still going strong after maybe 5000 rounds.

The trigger is just plain bad, so almost any $20 replacement would be a big step up. Polish the disconnector, hammer and sear (lightly, less is best), trigger bow and you may be happy enought with the trigger pull to stop there. If not, a matching hammer and sear + disconnector would be in order.

Replace the firing pin and all springs.

The grips would be next to go.

Other than that it should be good to go.

I've 12K+ rounds through mine with only the polishing, trigger, extractor, firing pin, and springs replacement.

I ended up with 4 of their mags and actually like them. I also like the $10 Shooting Stars.

I have 25 Wilson mags for my .38 Super and have to replace the followers every year due to cracks, so keep an eye on those things with wilson mags.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts