1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the range yesterday to play with my new champion only to come back discouraged. It shot the first two mags just fine then I started having ejection (Thanks to those who replied, I now know it is supposed to be extractor. Thanks to all) problems.

From what I can gather (I'm new to the 1911 side of the house), is that they ejector (Extractor) is releasing the case as the slide is going the the rear. The case is not stuck as I can pull it out after I clear the gun.

The slide will continue back, try to pick up a new round and get jammed when it runs smack dab into the case.

I'm using Winchester Factory 230 FMJ, and the two factory mags that came with the gun.

Other than that it shot just as good as my Sig :)

Any suggestions? Cleaning, cockpit error, etc.

Thanks,
Bwana

[This message has been edited by Bwana (edited 01-16-2001).]

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Sounds like an "extractor" problem, not "ejector". Maybe the extractor tension is not properly adjusted.

A call to Springfield may be in order.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See I said I was new, ejector/extractor.

Second new gun that had to go back to the shop right off the bat.

What ever happened to quality control?

Thanks,
Bwana

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I' m not clear on what you're describing...Could you change the wording and try again...I get the I'm discouraged part...It's," this is what happens..."
Is the pistol firing and not ejecting, is it feeding, firing, jamming? "Juan MO' Time" if you please....How's the weather up there anyway? It's sunny here and I'm headed to the range!

------------------

>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply.

The gun fires, the slide goes to the rear, leaving the spent shell case about 1/2 way out of the chamber.

Then as the slide goes forward it tries to pick up a new shell, which it doesn't because the chamber is still occupied with the old case.

Maybe I should have spent some extra and got a Kimber

WX is clear and cool, temp is 30 degrees and a light dusting of snow.

Go Bronco's.

Bwana

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
What ws the first one? Out of curiosity, what're the serial #'s/...I don't know about thye extractor above...I'm thinkin' mine is too tight...That makes several to too many, just in this forum in the past few days!!!
Champions with weird feed or ejection...

------------------
My #'s 39xxxx...I think mine's too tight, adjusted it a little, still holds a case securely, I'll try it out today...

>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

[This message has been edited by gyp_c (edited 01-01-2001).]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The serial number is 41xxxx.

After reading some of the posts, I took the slide off and took a look at the extractor.

When I put a case under it there is no pressure to hold it against the frame. Hence my guess is the extractor is not adjusted correctly.

Customer service will have a nice nasty gram in their inbox in the morning.

Bwana

·
Registered
975 Posts
No need to send it back just bend the extractor a bit.
Use the firing pin hole (after you remove the fireing pin and spring of course and bend the extractor a bit to put some tention on the brass.

You will feel like a gun smith after it works.

------------------
Mike Benedict
Talon Tactical Holsters

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bwana,
I also has problems with my new SA. I have a Ulta Compact and experienced a similar problem. The last round was being ejected but was damaged as if was being caught in the slide. The solution was an adjustment to the extractor and replacement of the recoil spring. There was too much tension on the spring causing the slide to not provide a full recoil. My solution was to return to the place of purchase (they have a gun smith on site) and replace the recoil spring and adjust the extractor. I have also sent a message to Springfield Armory notifying them of the problem/solution and get their blessing so as to not void any warranty.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Don't be sayin' the "k" word 'til you go check out their postings...not much different. Their both just production guns...sometimes a few of need some tweakin'...No different than anything else that comes from a factory. You could do a LOT worse.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update.

Customer service must be overwhelmed, it is only taking 7 days to answer an email.

I've sent a letter to both the President/CEO and Customer Service Manager, plus faxed a copy of the letter to SA HQ.

We'll see what happens.

If in fact it is an extractor problem, and in fact the is one of the most common problems, then the quality control process should have identified it. Makes me wonder what else they 'forgot' to check.

There really is no reason to ship a gun with this type of problem. Some may use the excuse of the shot show. Doesn't this event occur every year? Then they should know how to cover the bases, 100% so nothing gets dropped between the cracks.

All told my first experience with SA has not been good.

We'll see if they care enough about one customer to make things right.

Bwana

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Hey Bwana! Well we finally got our first real snow...still comin' down too!
About a foot since last night...

Do you tinker with your guns?
There's a very real possibility that you can adjust that extractor yourself...There's been enough posts about that in the last month for you to get a pretty clear picture of the process...Also, I found this VERY HELPFUL LINK:
http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/reliability_secrets.htm
http://www.m1911.org/technic.htm

These will help if you have any interest at all in foolin' with it.

I understand you have other pistols and you may not have the need or even the desire to do it yourself. I agree that it should work from the factory, however, I cannot afford to be unarmed right now... With the help of a few posts and 30 minutes of my time, 1 hour overall, I corrected my problem with the extractor and gained some knowledge in the process. If you'd rather wait on e-mail and have SA contact you...That's fine...I understand...If you have the time to call, that may be quicker...If you have an hour and a fingernail file, you might be able to put the matter to rest permanently...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

[This message has been edited by gyp_c (edited 01-16-2001).]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gyp_C,
We only have about 2 or 3 inches up here. But the foothills have about a foot.

I'm not so much mad about the extractor as I am about the apparent lack of concern from the customer service group.

I tried calling in for two days, only to be greated with "all circuits busy". So I figured someone would at least read their email once a day. Apparently not. I've seen this before in struggling customer service organizations where they were undermanned, overworked, and don't have the tools to do their job effectively. Usually caused by rapid growth or management that doesn't want to invest the time and effort in correcting the problem. In other words there are other issues here besides mine.

Yea I could have messed with the extractor, in fact I did yank it out and thought about bending it a bit (per a reply to my post). But I didn't want to give the SA people any excuss for the gun not working (plus I wasn't sure of the warranty ramifications).

I originally purchased this gun as a possible replacement for my Sig, but now I'm not sure. I compared SA with Kimber, PA, Sig, and Glock and thought this would good quality weapon to add to my functional collection.

It'll probably will be working fine when it comes back, but the product confidance damage is already done. I'll have to shoot well over 1k rounds before I felt confidant in even using it for competition, let alone personal protection.

Maybe I'll keep it, maybe not. All I know is my Glock, Sig, and Ruger never had this problem.

Enough SA bashing. Long live the 1911.

Bwana

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I understand...

Cold as a witchs" t&* down here in the "south" !!! I gotta' go out too, sure hate to, perfect sleepin' weather...

Good Luck, Hang In There...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, finally got the damn thing back. They 'fixed' the extractor so well that the first round would not feed. It was getting jammed under the new extractor. I took it apart and corrected that problem.

It did come back with a new problem. That being the fact that it would not lock back after the last round. Same problem with both mags. Actually it would sometimes, I'd say about 10% of the time.

I put about 200 winchester factory rounds through it, without any extraction problems.

Looks like I'll be calling them again in the AM. Back it goes.

Any idea why it won't lock back. From what I gather it may be the magazine, but I can pull the slide back and it will lock back everytime.

Besides that it is a very accurate gun, when it works

Bwana

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had similar extractor problems with a custom 1911 from Springfield Armory. Their quality control on extractors is awful and so was the customer service. On the other hand, the gun is great. I switched the extractor for a $2 junk box one from a gun show and the feeding problems went away - I contacted Springfield customer service and instead of sending me a replacement extractor, they said thanks for letting us know about the problem and sent me a HAT!

I then bought a Wilson Combat extractor and haven't had any problems since. I heard from several other people in my area that all had problems with extractors from Springfield. I would sugest putting in a more reliable one, especially if it is a defense pistol.

OldGuy

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Man the customer service issue with SA and Kimber as well are outta' control!
I think I'm gonna' start savin' for a BCP and get on his list NOW!

Screw this...grrrrrr

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The gun went back last night. Second time in a month. Heck the service department has had it longer than I have.

Hindsight is 20-20, should have saved more pennies and bought something else.

You live and learn.

Bwana

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
The threads runnin' on customer service are incredible...Have you checked out the Kimber board lately...pitiful

I'm not spendin' any more dough, unless I find a nice used pistol that suits me.
I'm gonna' sign up for a BCP and "that's the bottom line" as old StoneCold says...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

[This message has been edited by gyp_c (edited 01-23-2001).]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts