1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought my new Champion home last night.Haven't had a Springfield around for awhile. It is a 2000 model and I got a great deal on it. My dealer had three so I picked the one I thought had the best trigger and finish. This will be my regular carry weapon as soon as I check out its reliability. Reading the manual, I noticed that you have to hold the recoil spring in place when stripping or reassempling the slide and frame. Anyone have any other tricks or hints particular to this pistol?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Had a Champion, am fimiliar with your prob.. Buy a guide rod from Wilson. In the mean time shove a aluminum cleaning rod thru front of spring cap until it bottoms. Remove slide with parts in unison. Re-install in reverse. WEAR GLASSES!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip. I don't have anything exciting planned for tonight so seems like a good time to strip the new pistol. LOL

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Originally posted by popeye:
Had a Champion, am fimiliar with your prob.. Buy a guide rod from Wilson. In the mean time shove a aluminum cleaning rod thru front of spring cap until it bottoms. Remove slide with parts in unison. Re-install in reverse. WEAR GLASSES!!
I didn't think Wilson offered a FLGR in a 4" configuration. I was looking for one myself.

As far as reassembly, I do it pretty much like the book says. The hardest part is getting the guide rod seated... that spring is one tough puppy!

Personally, I recommend throwing the safety glasses on when dealing with the recoil system. It's not worth the risk.

Mac

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had the chance to run 150 rounds of mixed ammo through my new Champion this afternoon.
I used S&B, PMC, and my reloads. Used the two mags that came with the gun, a McCormick, a Colt mag, and a couple of bargin bin cheapie mags that I had laying around. No failures to feed, fire or eject with any combination of ammo or mag. This includes RN, SWC, and HP so I am happy. Accuracy was very good given my ability and perceived recoil only a bit stronger than my other all steel 1911's. It's a keeper right out of the box.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I'm surprised by your comment regarding recoil...If anything, mine seems to handle a little better than my 5' versions with the standard set-up have...They're all different though, aren't they...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I'm surprised by your comment regarding recoil...If anything, mine seems to handle a little better than my 5" versions with the standard set-up have...They're all different though, aren't they...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

[This message has been edited by gyp_c (edited 08-13-2001).]

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gyp_c, Just reread my original post and realized that I failed to mention that my new Champion is the Lightweight version, which I think accounts for the slightly greater perceived recoil I experienced. Thank you for your comment. Regards.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Ah! ...makes total sense now... Although I hate to hear it...These steel things are ALWAYS HEAVY!!!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Originally posted by Maclean3:
I didn't think Wilson offered a FLGR in a 4" configuration. I was looking for one myself.

Mac
Wilson's does make a FLGR for the Champion. I just bought one this weekend at a gunshow. I went out to the car, installed it, took it back out and got my money back.

You have to tighten the rod with a supplied allen wrench (two piece rod) and when I would tighten it, the pistol would bind up and would not cycle by hand. When I tried to loosen it, something snapped into place and the pistol would cycle, but very rough. It also used up some of the cycle length.

If you want to use their spring plug, you will have to machine your spring tunnel to get it to fit. I used the spring plug that comes with the gun, that might be what caused all the problems, but the guy who sold it to me said it would work.

So far, I'm not to impressed with anything that Wilson puts out except for their mags.

------------------
Any day above ground is a good day!!!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Thanks foor the info Double Tap. I just found that guide rod in my Brownell's catalog last night, it's listed as the SA compact version I believe (Champion slide on a uc frame).

A special thanks for your warning, you probably saved me a bit of money there

Mac

1 - 11 of 11 Posts