1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got it a little early. Was quoted end of June. It feels awesome in hand and everything is perfect. I can be a little picky at times but Rob has given me nothing to nitpick. I like that they decided to blue the hammer. I think that is new but I might be mistaken. Even have a new summer special just for it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Congrats, @STGS.

I think you are spot-on about the hammer ... all the website pics and even my own Classic Carry have a non-blued hammer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats, @STGS.

I think you are spot-on about the hammer ... all the website pics and even my own Classic Carry have a non-blued hammer.
I wonder if Rob was getting some complaints about the hammer showing rust or something. Dan wesson went through that with their tool steel hammers. I'm not sure if the other nonblue hammers are stainless or raw tool steel.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm not sure if the other nonblue hammers are stainless or raw tool steel.
From the ACW FAQ page: The hammer, sear and strut are made precisely using EDM Wire technology machining. Disconnectors are constructed from tool steel.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Congrats! These are very nice "work" pistols. I really like mine and I'm sure you'll feel the same about this beauty.

JW

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
They are A2 tool steel. Yes, I decided to start bluing them to cut down on corrosion. In the case of our OP, I think the gun looks better with the blued hammer. Probably should have been doing it from the start.

If you're not near the ocean and don't leave your gun out in the rain, tool steel ignition parts will not readily rust. It's definitely more corrosion resistant than straight 4140. Custom guns have been made for decades with raw tool steel hammers and this "go round" with ACW is the very first time I've ever had to field a "complaint" about corrosion on hammers. In October, I will have 33 years in this business and this is the first I've seen it. The internet causes people to start looking at their guns under a microscope. Don't worry though. This Gen X'er is tougher than old shoe leather, and takes action when he hears even a whisper of discontent from the masses.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I have said this before, no 1911 feels as good in the hand as an ACW. None of them.

Reactions: 1911_Bandit

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
They are A2 tool steel. Yes, I decided to start bluing them to cut down on corrosion. In the case of our OP, I think the gun looks better with the blued hammer. Probably should have been doing it from the start.

If you're not near the ocean and don't leave your gun out in the rain, tool steel ignition parts will not readily rust. It's definitely more corrosion resistant than straight 4140. Custom guns have been made for decades with raw tool steel hammers and this "go round" with ACW is the very first time I've ever had to field a "complaint" about corrosion on hammers. In October, I will have 33 years in this business and this is the first I've seen it. The internet causes people to start looking at their guns under a microscope. Don't worry though. This Gen X'er is tougher than old shoe leather, and takes action when he hears even a whisper of discontent from the masses.
Microscopic corrosion or not, I still kinda like the non-blued hammer. Probably never gonna rust here in Las Vegas….🤷‍♂️

1 - 20 of 23 Posts