1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the gun show in Raleigh, NC last week, I picked up a pound of Clays. I usually load Bullseye or VV 310, but thought I'd give it a try. Loaded 3.7gr over a Montana Gold 230 gr. JHP, Speer brass and winchester primer. I ran the target down range to 20 yds and fire rested on my gun bag. The first five shots printed a one hole group measuring .5 inch center to center. Just to make sure this wasn't a fluke, I repeated the test with a new target with identical results. Recoil was mild and there was none of the residue on the end of my slide like when I fire my Bullseye reloads. Forgot to mention that I was using a Les Baer Premier II at the time. It appears that I have stumbled upon a new load that is indeed a pleasure to shot with very, very impressive results. Just thought I'd pass this on.

Chief

------------------
Chief

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm starting to shoot more of the HODGDON powders. They meter well and shoot cleaner.DON'T YOU JUST HATE ONE HOLE GUNS? THEY ARE A WASTE OF AMMO!!!!!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Yea, no kidding! I got so bored last week shooting my new (to me) officers model, that I had to start aiming all around the hole just to make it bigger!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Himmm seems that center fire pistol loaders are finally finding out that some of the new powder's desigined for shot shell reloading are also great pistol powders and very clean to boot.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
CLAYS is one of my favorite powders in the .45 ACP. It is comforting to see others are having the same experiences.

TiteGroup works very well, too!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Chief, is that load good enough to meet the pf (major)? Anyway I will try using Clays starting with your "load" 3.7. I saw a couple of posts recommending 3.9 grains so I might load 100 3.7 and 100 3.9

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Golden Dragon,

I ran a few of my 3.7gr Clays loads through a chronograph last weekend. Here are the results:

725 fps
721 fps
713 fps
718 fps
725 fps

The average for all shots was 720 fps. All rounds were with 230gr Montana Gold JHP and were fired in a five inch customized Springfield 1911. The power factor computes to 165.7 which would qualify for IPDA.

·
Registered
128 Posts
A few weeks back, I posted a request for a Clays recipe for 230 gr. LRN Laser Cast bullets. I tried one poster's advice and now I am missing the left side of my face...just kidding. Actually, I made up some loads using 4.0, 4.2, and 4.4 grains of Clays and I was surprised at their accuracy, at least at 7 yards, and the powder was clean buring to boot. This was the first powder I tried for the .45 ACP, and it looks like I got lucky; I doubt I'll use any other powder.
DAL

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dal, maybe you can get a part in the play Phantom of the Opera :D I am using Bullseye right now 4.4/230 FMJ and it works pretty good. But like everyone else I am looking for the "best" load.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Chief, just got back from the range. Man I wish you could see the pic of my target. I don't know how to attach a photo. Anyway it worked like a dream. The guy inside the booth next to me left early and he gave me a box (leftovers) of 185 Winchester FMJ and they shot smoother than my reloads. Double taps in the A zone were awesome. Have you ever tried 185's? I forgot to tell you that I used a Kimber Custom II because I can't afford a Les Baer :(

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Golden Dragon`

Yes I have tried 185gr bullets, but only with usual Bullseye load. I'm glad that the loads I gave you worked well. If you want a new experience try the same 3.7 Clays load with 200gr JHP. Remember, my loads were with Montana Gold bullets. What did you use? Regardless of the bullet type, when you shoot, I recommend that you shoot from a rested position to get a true idea of the load's accuracy. If you have access to a ransom rest that's better, but you can get fairly stable position by resting on your gun bag. If you want to duplicate my results, you will need to acquire some montana gold bullets. They are reasonably priced and I have not shot a bullet that was any more consistent or accurate. I don't shoot anything else.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Capt Drydock..

One of my shooting buddies gave me a handfull of 200gr soft points and JHP. (all montana gold) So, I gave them all a try with my standard Clays load. I've only shot them through my Baer, but the groups were a tad tighter. I'm going to beg a few more and run them through the chrony next week.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I too just got turned on to Clays powder for my Kimber. After using Bullseye, 231, WSF and a host of others, the results of the last few weeks at the range have forced me to use Clays for my target loads from now on. Here are my Chrony results from a load consisting of 4.0 grains of Clays under a 230 grn FMJ seated to 1.250":

This load averages around 775 fps. Not too bad.

cheers

1 - 20 of 36 Posts