1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that the new Colt's feed most anything reliably. The reason being the modifications they now do to the barrel/feed ramp. I've looked at many new ones and it looks like they take a "rat tail" file and file a circular groove in the barrel ramp interface. They also look like they are done by hand as they vary so much from pistol to pistol. Some look barely touched, some look like they merrily filed away. My question is "If this is all it takes to make a 1911 feed well - why don't others copy Colt?" Sure looks like a simple (and inexpensive) enough alteration.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,290 Posts
Because Colt went out of business, years ago! Sorry, couldn't resist.
I don't know that anyone's paying attention to what Colt is doing. I think the standard barrel throat shape has been successful enough that nobody feels the need to vary from that. There's a lot of inertia in the manufacture of any product, and I think people don't want to change unless there is a real demonstrated need (or, unless the market demands it). I've never had a 1911 pistol with feeding issues, so I haven't been looking for a fix.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts