1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a Colt 1991A1 9mm government Series 80 (not enhanced) yesterday. It was the first and only one that I have been able to find locally. I did end up selling my .38 supers (El Rey and Mark IV) since I had accuracy issues which may have been me or may have been the guns. At any rate I had a buyer and got a great price so away they went. Went to the range today and the 9mm performed great. A little eradict on the case ejections but no FTFs or FTEs. Extremely accurate, smooth, balanced, and fun to shoot. Only had two mags, the original colt mag that came with it and a new MecGar that I purchased separately. I couldn't find any blue factory colt mags, just stainless. Slide locked back with both mags. The outer finish of the gun looks a little worn but internally it seemed new so maybe it has just been around awhile. At any rate, I wanted it and may refinish it later anyway.

It sure it fun to shoot and the ammo is certainly cheap, much cheaper than the .38 super and the .45 cal. Now I have another Colt to keep my Gold Cup company. Still looking for the elusive Special Combat Government (NIB). I have to wait 1 year from yesterday to buy it since I made a $100 bet with a friend that I wouldn't buy any more guns for a year, regardless of what I might sell. Pretty bad bet huh??? What was I thinking!!!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I can't even remember how many times I told so many people that "This is going to be my last trade or purchase" and that "I'm keeping this one forever...." Yeah, right. Like QB, I've also made bets with friends (and girlfriends) that I wouldn't "trade this one off" And when I'd loose the bet, as usual, I'd just buy her some flowers and she'd forget all about it
Or, as I read months ago on this BB by a gentleman I can't remember, when you bring home a new gun you say: "Honey, look what I got for US!!"

Works everytime. Thanks to whomever originally posted that tip.

·
Registered
49 Posts
QB, aren't you in the D/FW area? If so, The Bullet Trap had a NIB Special Combat the last time I was there. Have you been by there lately?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, Bullet Trap has one but supposedly it is an "older" one that the owner had in his collection. The price is a bit high for the condition of the gun and the fact that I'm not the original owner for warranty purposes. I'm just picky about my purchases and want to be the first one to put a scratch on it. I do still look at it every time I go to shoot but would really like to find one of the stainless ones that someone has squirreled away. I did just pick up a SA Super Tuned .45 SS that is absolutely stunning in it's functioning and accuracy. It's giving my Gold Cup Trophy SS a run for the money (but I still will NEVER get rid of my Gold Cup). The Super Tuned may just put the idea of the Special Combat out of my head for awhile.

Thanks for reminding me about that Special Combat.... you've got me thinking about it again.. ha ha!!

[This message has been edited by QB (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
So, your bet to buy no guns for a year...lasted two days?
:)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, no.... I haven't bought another gun since the bet. The GCT and Super Tuned I mention were bought prior to "the bet". Whew!!!!

The dealer I purchased mine from said it was NIB and it did have the case, all the paperwork, etc. but the finish looked "worn". I checked out the gun (internally and externally) and it appeared to be new but still it looked as if the finish was worn.... not scratched or anything, the blueing was just "thin" in places. I just don't now if it was new and just handled alot at the shows or what.

It is a series 80 with the big 1991A1 rollmark. Since it is the ONLY one I found at any price (other than a customized and refinished bright stainless/gold commander 9mm) I purchased it and was glad I did.

I just don't know if they are available from Colt still or not. I'll try to find out also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts