1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all! I just got a O4040CS Custom Carry Limited in the other day. I had been looking for one but really wanted a 45. The one finally popped up for MSRP and I had to have it. I have been reading a lot of good things about this pistol. I'm unsure if I'm going to shoot this pistol or keep it as a collector as I have many other 1911's that scratch my 1911 shooting itch. These could become pretty collectible pistols one day, maybe.

I'm pretty impressed with the pistol as Colt's go. I love the ion bond and Decobond Colt finishes. The summation of all of the parts makes for a very attractive pistol in my opinion. Some things that I really like are:
*All of the Stan Chen parts
*Trigger (great, even as a 80 series)
*Flush cut and crowned barrel
*Much fewer MIM parts

The list of dislikes is short. For the money, I wish they could get a tighter slide to frame fit. Colt is well known for not being that big on tight slide to frame fits. I have 3 Dan Wessons as well. The Vbob ESPECIALLY has an amazing tight slide to frame fit. There is absolutely zero play in any direction on that pistol. On pistols like the Vbob I run FP10 oil on the slide rail's. I run TW25B grease on slide rails like Colt's have that have the clearance to allow thicker lube. I tried grease on DW slide rails once and the gun malfunctioned pretty bad because the slide was slowed down so much with grease in the very tight tolerances.

As I do with any new 1911, I got it home and immediately detail stripped the pistol. I do this with all new-to-me 1911's to see what makes them tick and see the quality of the internal parts and whatever hand fitting was done. The only hand fitting that was clearly noticeable on this pistol, other than the thumb safety, was the barrel bushing. The bushing to barrel fit was done after the part was finished. The barrel to bushing fit is not hard fit but it's plenty tight enough. My CCS M45A1 may have a slightly tighter fit there but not by much. The disconnector also appears to have some hand polished done at the top. Perhaps the tip and bottom edges of the trigger were also fit by hand.

The only MIM part in the pistol that seemed fairly evident to me was the hammer. I think the hammer may be MIM due to the just barely rough finish on the front of the hammer. I don't see a clear injection spot though. The sear and disconnector appear to be machined parts. The barrel bushing, plug, slide stop, disconnector and sear are sourced from EGW. Great tool steel parts. The Chen parts are obviously all machined parts. The quality is fantastic on the Chen parts. This pistol has Stan Chen magwell, beavertail grip safety (blending perfectly), angled mag release, rear sight, and thumb safety. The magwell is a pretty slick part. It has a 360 degree funnel. In order for the magwell to be installed on these pistols the bottom of the frame has to be trimmed up 1/4" or so and the MSH pin relocated higher. What is really cool about that is that you get a huge magwell with a grip that is no longer than a flat bottom government/commander grip frame. Most other magwells add to the length of the grip as they are added at the bottom of the stock grip. Super cool.

I'd like to post some photos I took of the pistol and it's parts while I had it apart to document them for those looking at these pistols in the future.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
117 Posts
Awesome pictures. Thanks. I have always wanted one since the 2016 shot show tease. I am trying to order one in DLC black color with polished flats. No luck so far from CCS. I doubt there is a MIM hammer on that. Chen would never let his name be associated with any MIM parts. Then again money talks I guess.

·
Administrator
76,482 Posts
Nice looking pistol. I could do without the mag well, but that's just me. As for shooting it or just drooling on it, I don't know what to say. Judging by the Gunbroker auctions I've seen this past week it's a financial risk to shoot or modify anything made by Colt anymore. Even the plain vanilla guns have shot up drastically in price. I would say that's just the result of greedy sellers, but they're actually selling at those prices.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I doubt that hammer is Mim also. Looks like an expensive Harrison or equivalent. Cool gun. I would just change out the grips for something more traditional.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have owned, shot, worked on and collected a range of colt 1911s across various periods, mostly after 1970 and found non to be acceptable for what my expectations are, they would not group anywhere close to what a modern high quality 1911 can do, all sold. Then this finger bushing, just junk. I still look over new production colts at shows e.g. next week I will take a close look at shot show. They are always the same, no fitting of any kind, loose, rattling, no finishing touches, just nothing nice about them at all AND you are expected to pay top $ union dues to buy one. What I meant to say is this: If you like a solid honest gun with minimal to no fitting, then Ruger is a way better company to do this and I like their budget 1911s very well. Nice aesthetics too. I also think CZ may as well close up Harford, use the brand name only and build someplace else.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome pictures. Thanks. I have always wanted one since the 2016 shot show tease. I am trying to order one in DLC black color with polished flats. No luck so far from CCS. I doubt there is a MIM hammer on that. Chen would never let his name be associated with any MIM parts. Then again money talks I guess.
Perhaps. I saw in a magazine article on this pistol that the hammer is a Colt hammer with an oversized hole. The hammer just looks to be MIM due to the slightly rough finish on the front surface of the hammer. Fully machine tool steel hammers are usually smooth and have machining marks on all surfaces. I could be wrong though.

Nice looking pistol. I could do without the mag well, but that's just me. As for shooting it or just drooling on it, I don't know what to say. Judging by the Gunbroker auctions I've seen this past week it's a financial risk to shoot or modify anything made by Colt anymore. Even the plain vanilla guns have shot up drastically in price. I would say that's just the result of greedy sellers, but they're actually selling at those prices.
Yea, the market it crazy. I think a lot of it is because Colt isn't making much of anything right now. At least it seems that way. I bet a NIB railed Colt Combat Unit would sell north of 2k these days. Crazy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have owned, shot, worked on and collected a range of colt 1911s across various periods, mostly after 1970 and found non to be acceptable for what my expectations are, they would not group anywhere close to what a modern high quality 1911 can do, all sold. Then this finger bushing, just junk. I still look over new production colts at shows e.g. next week I will take a close look at shot show. They are always the same, no fitting of any kind, loose, rattling, no finishing touches, just nothing nice about them at all AND you are expected to pay top $ union dues to buy one. What I meant to say is this: If you like a solid honest gun with minimal to no fitting, then Ruger is a way better company to do this and I like their budget 1911s very well. Nice aesthetics too. I also think CZ may as well close up Harford, use the brand name only and build someplace else.
There is no comparison between a Ruger SR1911 and really any Colt. Ruger frames are cast. Colt's are forged. That alone separates them a good bit in my mind. The Ruger pistols are very nice for the price though. But so are Magnum Research, actually far nicer than Ruger in my opinion. Both have cast frames. I think with some of the lower end Colt's you don't get what you pay for. I agree. You get plastic triggers, plastic MSH and it's full of MIM parts. But it still holds its value better than any other production 1911 out there. I don't have any lower end Colt's. I only have 4. A cherry 1918 M1911, Colt Combat Unit in 45, Custom Shop M45A1 and this Custom Carry Limited. The CCU is the lowest price of any of my 3 modern Colt's but the quality is still great. It has a lot of MIM parts, yes, but it shoot lights out and is very reliable. Colt doesn't fit slight to frames very tight due to reliability under adverse conditions but everybody knows slide to frame fit doesn't have anything to do with accuracy. Barrel to slide, bushing to slide and bushing to barrel fit does that. My two custom shop Colt's have those totally nailed. They're tight as a drum. The general consensus about this Custom Carry Limited is that it's the best 1911 to come out of the custom shop in recent history, perhaps since the Custom Shop Rail Gun. It has all of the finishing touches and it put together with all good parts. One wouldn't expect Colt to produce all of the internals out of bar stock for ONE pistol project when all of the rest of their line has the standard MIM parts. The Stan Chen parts are most excellent as are the EGW parts. I'm a big DW fan as well and have several of them. They're put together with 3rd party parts a lot of the time as well and have the hand fitting where it needs to be and tighter machining. But they will never hold their value like a Colt will.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Banshee, good thoughts. I will seriously look over the CC at Shot next week and talk to the VP of engineering in great detail about your points as well and get to the bottom of it and then post my findings here. Dont get me wrong, I love guns, 1911s and America and would like nothing more than a great American made gun that I'd love to own. I do believe they have damaged the Colt reputation that no one is seriously considering them for serious shooting. I rarely see one at matches and if so then by a newbie and they quickly trade them away again after handling something real. DW hold their value like no other. None are available anywhere and none on the used market either. I know this because I am always adding more to my stash. Years ago I had collected loads of Colts before know anything much about 1911s, then I got a cheap left over Les Baer that sat at a LGS for 10 years in the case. I ended up selling all of the Colts because they patterned like shotguns in comparison to those Beers (got into them for a while too). In the meantime all the Baers are gone although there are lots worse guns out there. I ended up focusing on DW. I shoot about 1,000 rounds/month through 5 of them in rotation. I really love them greatly. Colt to me is a sad story and not all that different from Remington. Junk and probably too far gone to revive unless they scrap the site and build a decent gun someplace in the south using the brand name only, Kansas City or Arizona under they watchful eyes of Angus (he won't do it...).

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just fyi, I'd put my Colt Competition 9mm up against any Ruger for quality/fit/finish/parts/trigger, but maybe I just got a good one. ;) A Colt from the past few years is not the same as 20-30 years ago. I do have a couple from 25 years ago that are customized from then local gunsmiths, but even then the frames and slides and other parts that I used were good. Those two Government models (stock) were not as good as the Competition from a few years ago.

My CCO and my Pocket Nine are both exceptional for the same period of about 25 years ago. YMMV.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Banshee, good thoughts. I will seriously look over the CC at Shot next week and talk to the VP of engineering in great detail about your points as well and get to the bottom of it and then post my findings here. Dont get me wrong, I love guns, 1911s and America and would like nothing more than a great American made gun that I'd love to own. I do believe they have damaged the Colt reputation that no one is seriously considering them for serious shooting. I rarely see one at matches and if so then by a newbie and they quickly trade them away again after handling something real. DW hold their value like no other. None are available anywhere and none on the used market either. I know this because I am always adding more to my stash. Years ago I had collected loads of Colts before know anything much about 1911s, then I got a cheap left over Les Baer that sat at a LGS for 10 years in the case. I ended up selling all of the Colts because they patterned like shotguns in comparison to those Beers (got into them for a while too). In the meantime all the Baers are gone although there are lots worse guns out there. I ended up focusing on DW. I shoot about 1,000 rounds/month through 5 of them in rotation. I really love them greatly. Colt to me is a sad story and not all that different from Remington. Junk and probably too far gone to revive unless they scrap the site and build a decent gun someplace in the south using the brand name only, Kansas City or Arizona under they watchful eyes of Angus (he won't do it...).
Totally agree bud. Dan Wesson’s are amazing. I’m a HUGE fan. I like the Colt’s for the collectibility and really pretty darn good quality as of late. The quality of the frame and slide are fantastic. It’s evident when they’re fully stripped. Especially the M45A1 frame. It’s an absolute tank. I think Colt has a great chance to prosper. The following is already there. There are people still desperate to spend their hard earned money on their guns. They need to keep putting guns out like this Custom Carry Limited and CCS M45A1. The M45A1 is a super slick package with the Colt branded green Pelican case, test target and 2 7-round Wilson mags. Superb quality pistols. If they can keep the hits coming out of the custom shop, continue making winners like the Colt Combat Unit line, great quality Pythons and continue to keep their quality standards high in the 1911 line I think they’ll be just fine. One thing that really ticked me off recently was the M-16 reissue. What a total piece of crap. They didn’t even make the rifle, they just licensed it out and charged $2,500 for it. That stuff has to stop. They’ve already lost the ‘go to M4 pattern rifle’ reputation in the LE6920 so they’d have to work pretty hard to get that back.

But, to not get too off track of this thread, this Custom Carry Limited is a slick piece of kit. If you were local I’d be glad to let you take a look and see what you thought.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Banshee, good discussion. I am looking forward to giving them a real close go over at the show and will ask Vince to let me break down one and see. DO NOT get me started on the Pythons or even worse Anaconda. I examined an Anaconda last week and the trigger was good to go directly in the garbage. The DA pull is stacking more than a turkey club sandwich. When they launched the Python, what a drag that was, a dozen defects to iron out and it's still a less than mediocre gun. Definitely prefer a GP100 any day. Regardless, my point is, CZ has their work cut out for them and I really do not see how they can do it. The Python is a very ill design based on the action and can not be tuned. They are stuck with that lousy design. Shops have them and after the initial sales were satisfied I see no interest in them. They are basically laying there in the cases.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts