1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Flat surface polishing like that took at least an hour. So add what you paid to have it polished and blued to the MSRP to see what it MSRP would be with that finish from the factory.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Nice.
Bluing used to be a staple of virtually every gunsmith, but now it's rare to find someone who can do it without making things worse.
I took a gun to a local shop, with the surface finish I wanted, already, and the guy not only rust blued it, killing the polish I'd applied, but took "rust" too seriously, and left pitting all over it.
Up till a few years ago, there was a small local shop with a blue tank. I'd do my own polishing or glass-beading and let them tank it. They charge me like $40. Soon after I started dealing with them , they asked me to show them how I did slides. Told them ya need a FLAT surface, I use a granite surface plate. Depending on what the surface looks like, I'll start with anywhere between 600 and 1000 grit silicon carbide wet/dry paper backed by the cardboard back from a legal pad. Then 1200, 1500, 2000. Wet the paper with oil. Then I use an old piece of thick hard leather to back a piece of canvas or denim with progressively finer polish. I use a straight piece of wood as a guide. NO BUFFING WHEELS!!!!!! You can get a nice flat mirror finish with no waves. They showed me a slide they tried to clean up on a surface grinder, dry! :whistle: I coulda told them it was gonna warp like ****!

I did know a guy that did outstanding slow-rust bluing. But he's passed on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts