1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new Government this weekend at the gun show. This gun is flawless, simply put. I am very impressed, can't wait to try it out. The lady who sold it to me used to work at Colt, she said the new rollmarks were a mistake at first, but since customers like them so much, they'll keep making them. Don't know how accurate that is, but I have a hard time believing that. I couldn't believe how much bull*&%$# I got from so many dealers about Colt. I defended and informed as best I could, but that only made the dealers more pissed. I shut a few of them up real fast when I showed them the new Government I had just bought. One of them still wouldn't give up his act. "Oh, those slides were made to replace the MKIV slides a few years ago and they are just using up whatever parts they have left before they shut down....." I hope Colt gets some ads out there fast, because this is becomming very annoying.

·
Banned
5,947 Posts
Originally posted by emmo:
Picked up a new Government this weekend at the gun show. This gun is flawless, simply put. I am very impressed, can't wait to try it out. The lady who sold it to me used to work at Colt, she said the new rollmarks were a mistake at first, but since customers like them so much, they'll keep making them. Don't know how accurate that is, but I have a hard time believing that. I couldn't believe how much bull*&%$# I got from so many dealers about Colt. I defended and informed as best I could, but that only made the dealers more pissed. I shut a few of them up real fast when I showed them the new Government I had just bought. One of them still wouldn't give up his act. "Oh, those slides were made to replace the MKIV slides a few years ago and they are just using up whatever parts they have left before they shut down....." I hope Colt gets some ads out there fast, because this is becomming very annoying.

Hi Emmo...
Trust me, the new rollmarks on the Colt Government and Commanders are not mistakes. The request was made for a change in the 1991A1 rollmark, Cindy listened and brought up the request in a meeting. They made a marketing decision to change the rollmark, and now you see the final product. No mistake, just very good marketing on Colt's part. Take what the lady at the gunshow said for what it's worth. Not much.(It's a mistake, therefore it's rare, better buy it quickly, etc.)
Regards,
Sam
PS: Colt collectors will confirm for me that they have never seen this rollmark before, on a MK IV or any other previous Colt. Some of the gunshow folks really are a piece of work aren't they?

[This message has been edited by SamColtFan (edited 10-28-2001).]

·
Administrator
73,386 Posts
Ahhh yes, the ex-used car salesmen that seem to set up tables at every gun show. Colt's out of business. But I still have a couple of these like-new WW2 1911A1s that have been sitting in a temp-controlled vault for the last 60 years. Only $1200, better get one fast! Another guy just went to get some cash to buy this, and look, here he comes now! What? The big orange repro tag hanging on it? That shouldn't be there, let me remove that.....

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

101 Posts
Originally posted by emmo:
"Oh, those slides were made to replace the MKIV slides a few years ago and they are just using up whatever parts they have left before they shut down....."
I'm with you. The list I hear is similar. It never ends. What is sad is that these gun dealers/stocking gun shops are the liaison between Colt and gun buyers like us. They have the power to put Colt back on the map or break them completely. The way things are going, I'm afraid it's going to be the latter.

We have all written of Colt's need to advertise in the rags again. They need to directly appeal to Joe Sixpack that they are making guns for good-ol' civilians, as well as law enforcement.

Colt has lost the battle in the gun shops. They need to get wise, and fast! With enough advertising revenue to three magazines, these rags can catapult Colt back into the race. Why is Colt stalling with this ad campaign?

Rob

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I'd prefer Colt to have a catalog first.
Then, run some kind of promotion (not Ruger's rebate, but like Beretta did with the little safe. Something with a big pony on it :)

Then, once they're up to speed, start advertising in the gunrags.

But, right now, distributors are stripped clean of AR-15's, and that's where Colt's money should be right now. Handguns are also important of course.

·
Administrator
73,386 Posts
I agree Colt should resume printing a catalog first. It only needs to be a 8.5"x11" one with a couple of pages listing their products, but something to show folks they're still operating.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

101 Posts
Originally posted by dsk:
I agree Colt should resume printing a catalog first...something to show folks they're still operating.
OK, but where do you normally find these catalogs? At the gunshops, of course. This is our problem.

Let's give the shops the benefit of the doubt. Maybe through the recent years they have grown tired of Colt being in, being out, offering the 1991, discontinuing the 1991, offering fill in the blank, discontinuing fill in the blank.

My point is that the shops are probably so tired of Colt having a mission statement du jour/catalog du jour, they no longer are interested in Colt. When a customer walks in, the shop steers the customer away from Colt using excuse X, Y, or Z.

This is why a catalog will be suppressed in the gun shops. They will go in the trash faster than coupons for a $99 auto paint job.

Colt needs to go to the public and clearly state they are producing guns for civilians. List all the models available. Tell the customer to "tell your friendly neighborhood gunshop to order the model of your choice if he doesn't have it in stock."

I had to do this with my repro. The shop owner is not hostile toward Colt. He truly didn't know about the repro and kept trying to tell me it didn't exist. I finally gave him the Colt order number of O1911A1. That shut him down instantly. He ordered the gun.

Rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I went to my local gunshop trying to "sniff" around for some colts. The owner just said that they get them in sporadically and he couldn't give me a definitive date when he would get any more models in. He didn't trash talk colt at all. He then told me that they had a full line of Kimbers always in stock and showed me one. It is a very nice gun but I am completely loyal to colt. I truly feel that the plain and simple truth of economics is the dealers have to sell and push the product that they have on hand and the one that offers them the most profitability. This doesn't mean they can't have diversity and cater to all groups but I think most of these guys are having a hard time actually getting colts. This is what is going to kill the company. In a way I can't blame these guys for trying to really push other models. I don't think any negative talk is necessary but Colt in a twisted sort of way is doing this to themselves. There giving away their market niche the one they practically single handidly created. They just have to get themselves squared away before its to late.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by In service to His Majesty:
My point is that the shops are probably so tired of Colt having a mission statement du jour/catalog du jour, they no longer are interested in Colt. When a customer walks in, the shop steers the customer away from Colt using excuse X, Y, or Z.
If you run into a shop that throws away the catalogs so that they can claim "Colt isn't selling guns" so tehy can either A: sell you another make or B: sell their Colt's for more, then there's nothing you can do to save them.
I still think Colt's at weak point profit wise, and would rather see them concentrate on getting more financially stable before dropping money into advertising.

That said, I'd love it if Colt did like they did in 99, come out with the "Colt Buyers Guide" which was a magazine that went to magazine shelves, was only about Colt & it's history, and listed all their models.

Assuming of course, that the XSE is finished, and that it won't be replaced with a different model a month after the book comes out :)

Either way though, I think Colt is in decent hands, and hope the company does well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Originally posted by Series 70:
A couple of weeks ago I went to my local gunshop trying to "sniff" around for some colts. The owner just said that they get them in sporadically and he couldn't give me a definitive date when he would get any more models in. ....I truly feel that the plain and simple truth of economics is the dealers have to sell and push the product that they have on hand and the one that offers them the most profitability. This doesn't mean they can't have diversity and cater to all groups but I think most of these guys are having a hard time actually getting colts. This is what is going to kill the company. In a way I can't blame these guys for trying to really push other models. I don't think any negative talk is necessary but Colt in a twisted sort of way is doing this to themselves. There giving away their market niche the one they practically single handidly created. They just have to get themselves squared away before its to late.

I agree with this. Colt up and announced that they were withdrawing from the civialian market. It was a BIG promotion. Front page stuff. Then as if they had simply intended a publicity stunt....they crawled bcak saying...well...Uh....Maybe...er ....we maight make a few models. Then without announcing exactly what they sold a few pieces. Dealers never knowing if they were the last Colts ever to be seen or just the last of that model or what!!!???

I believe that for what-ever the reason, it suits their purpose to keep these rumors alive or at least not to commit to exactly what their plans are. Making a few of these and a few of those. Putting out feelers that such and such are going to start production and then monitoring the response to assess demand.

Who knows what Colt will do? Not I! Who knows what their game is? Not I! Can you plan on getting merchandise in 90 days? No one knows! They stopped shippimg suddenly before why not again?

PigPen

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by Series 70:
A couple of weeks ago I went to my local gunshop trying to "sniff" around for some colts. The owner just said that they get them in sporadically and he couldn't give me a definitive date when he would get any more models in.
From Nov99 to end of last year, this was true, nowadays, Colt's are pretty available.
Most of the distributors we deal with have XSE Gov's & Commanders in, with 1991's also. LW's are just hitting shelves, but they're still available in numbers. the 1911 repro's are also out there and accessible.

Kimber is a good company to deal with, since you call them and order direct, you don't have to ask a distributor, who asks Colt and sometimes you get an answer.
Kimber is a lot like HK or Benelli though, you get it when you get it. If they have it in stock, they take a week to ship it next day. If they don't "it should be a few weeks".
The few weeks is anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months.
Colt's go through the same distributors we get all our other guns from, Kimber you have to order $4,000 as a qualifying order.

We don't stock Springfields, and since people want to handle the gun before buying it, that means we don't have a lot of orders, but I don't tell people they're bad guns, just that we don't sell them well enough to bother stocking them.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by PigPen:

I agree with this. Colt up and announced that they were withdrawing from the civialian market. It was a BIG promotion. Front page stuff.
Washington Post reported that Colt was no longer selling firearms to civilians. I called Colt that day to ask if it was true, and was told that they never said that. A comment by a worker that they were dropping some models (the .380's, and the DA revolvers) was taken out of context and turned into a story.
Several other factor's combined into Colt's ailing availability of that time, but they never intended to discontinue all sales. They also sent a letter to distributors saying there was a price increase, and that tehy would only be making their 1911 models and their single action armies.

Everything else is rumor.

·
Banned
5,947 Posts
Originally posted by FirearmsPlus.FL:
Washington Post reported that Colt was no longer selling firearms to civilians. I called Colt that day to ask if it was true, and was told that they never said that. A comment by a worker that they were dropping some models (the .380's, and the DA revolvers) was taken out of context and turned into a story.
Several other factor's combined into Colt's ailing availability of that time, but they never intended to discontinue all sales. They also sent a letter to distributors saying there was a price increase, and that tehy would only be making their 1911 models and their single action armies.

Everything else is rumor.
FirearmsPlus is right on the money. Colt NEVER stopped selling their firearms to civilians. That was nothing more than the old Washington Post up to their usual inaccurate news reporting for their own private agenda.

Forget the gunrags for the time being. I'd like to see Colt do a quarter to half page ad in USA Today, with a Colt .45 pictured and pictures and information connected to the Colt and the defense of our country during the 20th century. Tie it all in with our current war against terrorism and "Homeland Defense" and announce: Colt: For over 90 years, protecting America and it's citizens. Let the American public know Colt is still alive and kicking. That will put a hole in the Washington Post lies and misrepresentations. Plus many citizens will learn the POSITIVE CONTRIBUTION COLT HAS MADE TO OUR COUNTRY.

Regards,
Sam

[This message has been edited by SamColtFan (edited 10-29-2001).]

·
Registered
557 Posts
Cheap fix....Internet Web Site.
Use same ad in gunrags that you use in Internet when you get the money.

Unfortunately, even with world events being what they are, you still could suffer a political correctness backlash by advertising in USA Today. Better to go with the Wall Street Journal, or another financial rag. The word would spread from there.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think SamColt has the best idea yet. Putting a huge ad in USA Today would have astronomical results, considering the folks who see the ad and decide to go down to the dealer to pick one up, don't get the usual crap story from stubborn dealers who'd rather "sell ya' a Kimber." I'd bet 90% of gun owners in America think that Colt is done. And one nice ad would flip them 180 degrees guranteed. Now is the time to advertise, considering the unfortunate events in the world lately, because people are buying guns like crazy. A local shop in town sold $14,000 worth of guns ON 9-11. And he said most of the sales went to first-timers who didn't know squat about firearms (although that is a bit frightning). My point is right now there are millions of non-gun owners who feel they need to buy their first gun. However most of them believe that the all-American "Colt .45", the gun EVERYBODY knows, is not being made anymore since dumb-assed Washington Post screwed that up. I think one Sunday run of a nice full page ad in any common periodical in the near future would be ideal. It would certainly let the patriotic American public know that their favorite gun will always be around.

·
Banned
5,947 Posts
Hi emmo....
Thanks for your support for my idea for Colt to take their marketing outside the usual channels. Colt should appeal to the end users of their products. If Colt can stimulate retail market demand based on name recognition & history, current perceived need for the product and patriotism, retail gunshop owners would be fools to turn away customers willing to buy Colts. If the Colt name was good enough to defend America for 90 years, it can do the same today.

Regards,
Sam

[This message has been edited by SamColtFan (edited 10-29-2001).]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts