1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Sebastian. I am new to the forum and a new Colt owner. Fall in love with the gun the minute I held it in my hand. Looking towards learning all I can about the gun, hopefully no one will get annoyed with millions of questions I will be asking. Here's a picture...

posted two more pics in the colt picture section if anyone is interested...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Welcome Sebastian!!

I have several different Colt's, but just bought an unmodified Series 80 like yours recently. Just something about that stock "GI" look it I love.

Let us know when you shoot it.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Congratulations and welcome.

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
Congrats Sebby! .....Start with maybe 10 or 15 questions. I'm not retired yet:biglaugh:................................TW

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There are several experts here that will be glad to help with your questions. Remember, we all started somewhere. By the way, collecting Colts can become addictive.

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
Nice. Are those the original grips?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Welcome aboard. :rock:

This is a great forum; many nice and knowledgeable members.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Welcome - this is a great forum with knowledgeable and helpful and experienced members.

The only thing I would caution you about your new gun - it will spoil you for anything else !!

:D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Looks great----congrats and Welcome!!

tc,
GTD:cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The gun shoots great, it is very accurate and the recoil on it is minimal (comparing to my glock or M&P). The issue that I am experiencing is that depending on ammo i use the gun performs worse or better (which is correct with any weapon, but never to this extend). When I first got it I shot Winchester Hallow point ammo through it just to get the feel of it. The gun performed great, I've decided to get another box of 50 rounds and the only ammo available at the range was Wolf 45AUTO and that's when the problem started. Very often (i have to explain this in simple terms) the slide would open&lock and the last round in the magazine would not fire. Also it seemed like the gun did not spit out the case in time and it would get stuck on the slide. I don't know if this is accruing problem with 1911's or not. however when "better" ammo is used the gun is unbeatable. Just the feel of it, how well designed and made the gun is... well it simply blew my mind. I love it. This is a picture of a target when I shot it for the first time....

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
The gun shoots great, it is very accurate and the recoil on it is minimal (comparing to my glock or M&P). The issue that I am experiencing is that depending on ammo i use the gun performs worse or better (which is correct with any weapon, but never to this extend). When I first got it I shot Winchester Hallow point ammo through it just to get the feel of it. The gun performed great, I've decided to get another box of 50 rounds and the only ammo available at the range was Wolf 45AUTO and that's when the problem started. Very often (i have to explain this in simple terms) the slide would open&lock and the last round in the magazine would not fire. Also it seemed like the gun did not spit out the case in time and it would get stuck on the slide. I don't know if this is accruing problem with 1911's or not. however when "better" ammo is used the gun is unbeatable. Just the feel of it, how well designed and made the gun is... well it simply blew my mind. I love it. This is a picture of a target when I shot it for the first time....

Looks good to me. You might like CCI Blazer ammo better than the Wolf for pracitce. i think the grips came from the factory - here's what mine looked like from the factory -

Only change is the low mount thumb safeityI added,

:)

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
looking good...
Bill

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and you have good taste in 1911's. Pretty good shooting for the first time out..........
How many questions do you have left ? :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First time shooting the 1911 but not first time shooting, but thank you for the complement :)
Another question I have is what does adjusting or tuning extractor means, also will it really make as big of a difference in how the gun will shoot as people say? Also one thing that I would really want to do is get new sights for the gun. What are some good ones that you guys would recomand? Also how much would I have to pay to get them installed?
Thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome - this is a great forum with knowledgeable and helpful and experienced members.

The only thing I would caution you about your new gun - it will spoil you for anything else !!

:D
I kinda know what you mean... It really doesnt get any better than the 1911. I cant imagine how modified 1911 shoots....:rock:

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I love Colts. They feel different than the others to me. Many questions you have can be answered by reading the how to stickies in the forums home page, at the top of the page. Also, read the gunsmithing section regularly. Many of the top smiths hang there and answer questions about problems. Reading those will give you great insights to potential problems and solutions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts