1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my first 1911 yesterday from my FFL. I dont have a camera, so no pics. Someday I need to get one. What I got was a Colt government model stainless series 70 with rosewood grips. The instruction maual says model O. The question I have right now after reading the manual. Yes I read it all. On page 20 under ammunition selction it has a note: extensive use of +p ammunition will accelerate wear in your pistol.

Now I know that alot of the info in there is for the people that spill coffee on themselves at Mcdonalds and those that kill other people after eating twinkies but this mention of the +p ammo did surprise me. I havent seen it mentioned here and after spending alot of time reading and getting some education on this forum I thought about throwing this topic out there. I dont know how much I would use +p but...

Everything other than the sharp edge on the front of the slide is great. I am really happy with my new toy.

·
Administrator
73,995 Posts
All manufacturers have the same warning. Extended use of +P ammunition is rough on guns and will wear them out faster over time. The only pistol I have that I run +P ammo through on a regular basis is my 9mm Glock 19.

·
Registered
872 Posts
That surprises me because they run 10mm in almost the same guns with double the chamber pressures..Even double the +p I think...So! I have a question too on that one..

I don't see a need for +P in a .45 anyway...I'll bet my life on [email protected]

·
Administrator
73,995 Posts
Nobody says you can't use +P. But it will accellerate wear, that's simple common sense. It's also a fact that all else being equal a 10mm 1911 like a Delta Elite has a lower lifespan than a standard .45ACP Government Model. Manufacturers still warranty their guns with +P, since it's still SAAMI standard. However they throw in the caution about +P's because of all the ding-dongs out there who think they can blast away with the hottest stuff they can get, then later complain that things start breaking.

Personally I have no use for +P in any caliber above 9mm. Shooting it in a .45 only gives you increased recoil and blast, and forfeits a lot of the advantages of using a 1911 in the first place. In a .45 it also hasn't been shown to give any appreciable increase in stopping power. Apparently they're also now making +P .40S&W ammo as well. Considering that caliber was loaded a bit too hot to begin with I'd say we're getting way past the law of diminishing returns.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
The pressure is not really the issue, per se, it is the momentum (bullet weight x velocity) and associated higher rearward slide velocities usually associated with some of the stouter +P ammo.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Hi all.
I have a 1911 pistol that I just don't shoot, and It does not show any signs of wear at all, I do take It out every once In a while, and dust It off, and then put It away till the next time! I also have 2 S&W revolvers In 44Mag,
#1- Is a 629 with a 6" Brl. that I shoot from time to time and #2- Is a Mod. 29 very deep bluing, 6" Brl. full tang that I never shoot at all, ( Safe Queen ):biglaugh:.

When the Colt 10MM ( Delta )? 1911 first came out ( The FBI CYA round ) didn't It have a limited warranty If any at all. That's If my failing memory serves me right??? Something like that. I have always taken very good care of all my tools, and In turn so fare, they have never let me down!!! I guess the harder you use something the more wear It gets?

My body has been telling me that for the last couple of years now. I hear that death Is natures way of telling you to slow down:confused:

One thing that has always served me well, I have learned to always try to keep my toung planted firmily In my cheek:biglaugh:

Semper Fi all. Hank D.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts