1911Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my second real Colt 1911 -- a CCO pattern Gunsite Service Pistol, model 09840CGP (alloy officers frame with commander slide). My first Colt 1911 was a WWI repro that I haven't shot yet. I have prior 1911 experience with two Para Ordnance models, both of which have been reliable and accurate out of the box.

I took my new CCO to the range yesterday for break-in and function testing. I had 10 mags with me -- mostly CMC but a few Wilsons. All but two of the mags had Wilson springs and polymer followers, and all of them function 100% in my PO 1911's. I had several boxes of PMC 230 FMJ, and 1 box of Winchester RA45T 230 HP (my carry round of choice).

The Colt's trigger was a little creepy, but I know that can easily be adjusted. I ran into two problems, however. The first was that the slide would often fail to lock back when using the mags with Wilson followers. It always locked back on the few mags I had with metal followers, but at least half the time would not lock back with the polymer followers. Again -- these mags lock the slides on my PO 1911's just fine. :scratch:

The second problem was that I got consistent feed failures with the Winchester RA45T HP's. They were the classic halfway-into-the-chamber jam, with the bullet jammed against the top of the chamber. The failures always occurred on the last round in the mag, and I never got them with the FMJ ammo.

So ... should I send it to Colt for service? Or should I just take it straight to a good 1911 'smithy to address these issues?

· Registered
7,864 Posts
I am far from being some expert, but your situation sounds like mag issues to me. Chuck S is correct....dont expect Colt to do warranty work when you are using non factory mags...( of course we all do, but that would be their position on a warranty claim).

· Registered
685 Posts
Shoot it with the factory mags first and see if the problem exists with them as well. But like others have said, always give the factory a chance to fix it before you farm it out. I have a buddy with a SA Mil-Spec that wouldn't shoot hardball from day one but would feed high end JHP reliably. I told him that there was no excuse for a 1911 that wouldn't feed FMJ. I also told him that SA has the best no questions asked lifetime warranty in the business and to send it back to them. He ignored me and has had it in the hands of three different smiths, one of which did a lot of nice mods like Novaks and a beavertail and an extended safety, etc. Guess what...it still won't shoot hardball. I can't help but believe that the factory would have made it run reliably on FMJ or replaced it free of charge.

· Registered
833 Posts
One other option is to first polish the barrel throat, extension and feed ramp. It's quite simple to do--just don't polish too far--with a little metal polish and a slow running dremmel. Also, polish the breechface and extractor hook. This allows the cartridge base to slide much easier under the extractor which will allow a smoother and more consistent feed angle into the chamber. If you decide to do this, make sure to thouroughly clean the barrel and slide before and after you polish it.

Hope this helps.

Gotti.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chuck S said:
I'd not expect the manufacturer to do warranty work on non-factory aftermarket magazines.

-- Chuck
I should have been more clear. The last round feeding problem occurred without regard to what magazine I used. It occurred with the factory mags as well as aftermarket mags. To me, that's not asking the manufacturer to do warranty work on an aftermarket mag, it's asking the manufacturer to fix a feeding problem with the gun. The fact that the problem occurs regardless of which mag I used tells me it isn't a mag problem, as does the fact that those same mags work fine in two other 1911's.

The failure to lock back is certainly related to the mags, and I wouldn't expect that to be Colt's problem. After all, it only appears to be an incompatibility with one type of aftermarket follower. Still, that happens to be a very well thought of follower from a reputable manufacturer (Wilson Combat), so I consider it to be a problem. There is no reason that a 1911 shouldn't lock back on an empty Wilson mag. What is the fix for this problem, short of saying "don't use Wilson followers"?

· Registered
141 Posts
Hi ksd,:)

If you'll do a search, I think you'll find several posts about your exact problem & the remedy therefor.

It has to do with the amount of metal on the slide stop & if/how the bullet ogive contacts it on cycling. The solution is to relieve the slide stop slightly with a file, but you need to check exactly where (which you'll find with the slide off , slide stop installed properly in its hole, and a manual attempt to slowly feed the last round with your finger/s pushing the last round forward & out from the mag).

But... I think best bet is to call Colt & then send it back, getting your trigger tweaked simultaneously. Be certain to explain that in detail as well with your accompanying letter.;)

· Registered
2,944 Posts
Yep, yip yip, get out that dremel tool... NOT!!!!

Call Colt first to get a Repair Order # and perhaps a FedEx label. Ask if you should send along your magazines that you intend to use with this pistol. (Make sure they are the Officers ACP length, whether Wilson or CMC.) Send your pistola back to Colt's for adjustment, along with your magazines shold colt want them. Have them send it over to the Custom Shop after they fix the slide stop for a crisp, 3.5 to 4.5- lb. trigger job with no overtravel or creep for $60.00 on your dime before they send it back. Well worth it.

Regards,
Andy

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,393 Posts
Send it back to Colt.

· Registered
833 Posts
Andy said:
Yep, yip yip, get out that dremel tool... NOT!!!!

Call Colt first to get a Repair Order # and perhaps a FedEx label. Ask if you should send along your magazines that you intend to use with this pistol. (Make sure they are the Officers ACP length, whether Wilson or CMC.) Send your pistola back to Colt's for adjustment, along with your magazines shold colt want them. Have them send it over to the Custom Shop after they fix the slide stop for a crisp, 3.5 to 4.5- lb. trigger job with no overtravel or creep for $60.00 on your dime before they send it back. Well worth it.

Regards,
Andy
Dremel to lightly polish the feed ramp and throat for his feeding problem. I said nothing of grinding on the slide stop, thank you very much.

Best.

Gotti.

· Registered
375 Posts
this is kinda funny - the two factory Colt mags that came with my CCO work great. The two Wilson Officers mags I had fed great, but wouldn't lock the slide back, so I sold them off. The best thing I've found are the Chip McCormick/Shooting Star Officers mags...mine are 7 rounders for a total of 8 rounds in the gun, and they all run 100% all the time....I'd suggest tracking them down and giving them a run through your CCO - increases your capacity by one over the factory mags and they work great!

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
inspcalahan said:
this is kinda funny - the two factory Colt mags that came with my CCO work great. The two Wilson Officers mags I had fed great, but wouldn't lock the slide back, so I sold them off. The best thing I've found are the Chip McCormick/Shooting Star Officers mags...mine are 7 rounders for a total of 8 rounds in the gun, and they all run 100% all the time....I'd suggest tracking them down and giving them a run through your CCO - increases your capacity by one over the factory mags and they work great!
That's exactly what I experienced. My Wilson mags won't lock the slide, but both the factory mags and my Chip McCormick mags (with the stock McCormick metal followers) will. It's something about those polymer Wilson followers -- they're just not compatible with the Colt's slide catch, I guess.

I typically am not a fan of the metal followers, though, as I seem to get more feeding issues with them than with the Wilson followers. That's why most of my 1911 mags have been converted.

I tried calling Colt, but they're closed until after the New Year. My plan now is to wait until they open, and then call them up. I will definitely ask them to address the last round feed issue, and also send it to the custom shop for the trigger job. If they are willing look at the slide lock issue (I'll have to tell that that it involves non-factory mags), then I guess I'll send along a Wilson mag and let them try to fix that, too. If they won't, that's fine. I'll either have to live with using only CMC followers, or have a 'smithy try to address it.

Anything else I should have done at the Colt custom shop besides the trigger job?

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,393 Posts
Don't fret until you try them. Guns have mag preferences that can't be predicted. My Colts don't like Wilson mags, but plenty of folks swear by them.

· Registered
375 Posts
RickB said:
Don't fret until you try them. Guns have mag preferences that can't be predicted. My Colts don't like Wilson mags, but plenty of folks swear by them.

Exactly! All my other 1911's use the Wilsons exclusively - my full size Colt Gunsite, my Springfields and my old Colts - it's just the CCO model that doesn't like them... so she gets the McCormicks

· Registered
2,944 Posts
You might want tritium sights installed. I'd go with the bar/dot configuration. While waiting for Colt's new year, you might want to test various factory loads to see which operates the best. Then, bench your pistola with the contenders and pick out the most accurate. If the preferred round doesn't hit POA/POI, Colt can adjust the sights accordingly if you send them the range you're shooting at and the amount of correction desired.

· Banned
4,085 Posts
I haven't tried them yet, but it looks like Virgil Tripp's CobraMag followers may well be "The Perfect" 1911 follower... long skirts for stability (no tipping forward), no impact damage to aluminum feedramps from follower tip, metal shelf to activate slide lock... I'm going to try out some of these puppies!

http://www.trippresearch.com/products/upgrade/upgrade.htm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.