1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I went and done it again !

I was walking through the fun store and stumbled across a new Colt GM, NRM 1991A1 Blued pistol. Sure looked good ! To make a long story short, I traded a Savage FV12 HB .308, with a Burris FFII 4.5X14X42 scope, bipod and choate stock plus $50.00 for the Colt. Been wondering ever since I left the store why ? Any way, after I got home, I wondered if these series 80 pistols were good shooters & reliable. It was a spur of the moment purchase, Guess I got a weakness for 1911 pistols :)

Didn't figure the Savage would increase in value over the years like a Colt would, and considering the cost of reloading the .308, I figured I made a decent decision, Aww well whats done is done :confused:

Later

Dog

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
You'll never regret the trade for a Colt. Much more fun to shoot and easier to carry!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AZ,

Thanks for the moral support ! Not knowing anything about Colt's, I have read post describing the series 80 pistols as something less than "standard".
Sure hate to think I picked up a lemon ?

Dog

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Dog...
I am not a fan of the 80 series, but they have been in business for a while. You'll hear from some of our senior members that love them. I'm just old school and believe less is better. The Series 80 has thousands of fans, and I'm not going to debate them.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
DogBreath

I suggest that you go shoot your new pistol and not think about what you have heard. If you spend enough time reading here and on other forums you will find plenty of reports, including reports from major gunsmiths, that Colt is now producing pistols as good as, or better than they ever have. You may find reports of pistols with issues, but in most cases these issues are cosmetic and not functional.

Now to answer your second question. Yes, Colt pistols shoot well and they are reliable.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
True statement...My neighbor and friend Ted Yost builds on 80's all the time, and he's one of the best in the business.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think you made a good choice! Don't worry about the complaints you heard this is where some people come to complain. For every complaint their are hundreds if not thousands of people who just love their gun. Just shoot and enjoy your pistol you will love it!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Congratulations on your fine bartering skills! Looking forward to reading your range report.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
You will not regret picking up a nice NRM. The Series 80 models, IMHO, can achieve just as good of a trigger pull as the Series 70s.

My John Harrison 1991 has a great pull with all of the Series 80 parts intact. That being said, the only thing you need to be careful of is disassembly and re-assembly. Just make sure you pay attention to where all the parts are when you do a detail strip and put them back in the same way.

WJR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts