1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do all new Colts come with a fired cartridge in the box. The reason I ask is that only one gun store in my neck of the woods (NY) was able to find a "new" stainless gold cup.(It is coming from a distributor in CT.) I went to the store today and inquired about its status. They said it needs to go to COBIS which is apparently a place where the new gun is test fired twice and the casings are kept in a data bank.
Does that mean that my gun is not brand new or does it mean that not every new gun comes with a cartridge.:confused:

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
That's a standard practice with Glocks (they include a test fired shell casing from the factory), but I've never heard it with a Colt (I own 3).

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Some states require them. Some makers do all their guns and the cases are shipped with the guns in an envelope. Some makers only do the guns going to the states that require them. They are pulled at the dealer and sent to the state gestapo in the states that require them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Colt does not provide fired cases. It is up to the dealer and the state to do that. According to a friend at Glock, sending fired cases with a gun adds $10.00 to the wholesale price.

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
Agreed. Haven't seen from Colt and the 1911s I got from Kimber didn't have them either. I am in states that do not require them. Maybe in states they are required?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Agreed. Haven't seen from Colt and the 1911s I got from Kimber didn't have them either. I am in states that do not require them. Maybe in states they are required?
Colts are a PIA to get in MD because they were not shipping with a fired casing. There is a legal work around, have the gun sent to a 07FFL and have them fire the gun but that adds time and cost. The lack of a fired casing has probably cost Colt more than a few gun sales here.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just recevied a new COLT S80 Combat Commander last week. No fired case/cartridge included.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Colt does not provide fired cases. It is up to the dealer and the state to do that. According to a friend at Glock, sending fired cases with a gun adds $10.00 to the wholesale price.
So with the shell casing it runs about $70 to ship a Glock?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've read that some states require empty casings on file for "fingerprinting" new guns. So how does this work if you buy a new barrel for the gun_____ or caliber conversion upper-assembly?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just bought two NIB Colt New Agents and they did not come with a fired case. Distributer was in NY, I'm in Tennessee. I bought a Bond .45lc derringer and it had a fired case.
Cherokee Slim

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes, our lovely state requires the fired shell casings. And yes, I tried for months to find a workaround so I could buy a Colt. It was so much hassle I gave up... and bought a S&W 1911. (Couldn't be happier with it). I called Colt and they told me that if I paid shipping and insurance to them from the FFL, and a $45 fee to them and shipping and insurance back to the FFL, they would fire the gun and send it along with the spent casings. Too much trouble.

The FFL is required to send the spent casings to the State Police. They keep them on file...and from what I have learned the forensics on said casings are iffy at best anyway. In addition, as someone posted in another thread, change the FP or barrel and they are worthless...So, yes our screwed up state laws are costing Colt sales.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts