1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting a new build here shortly, a commander size 9mm with a 9x23 barrel fitted up as well. I love the capabilities of the 9x23 but lack of ammo is an issue.

Buffalo Bore seems to have a few good offerings and I'll just order some of their ammo for when I might need to do "serious" stuff. For the rest of the time 9mm is (only slightly, currently) easier to get my hands on.

I'm at the beginning of the parts acquisition stage, but will post progress. Anyway, "cool story bro", I know. I like following build threads so I figured I'd do one myself.

Going to use this slide:

1911 Commander Carbon 9mm Slide with Rear and Top Serrations and Novak Sight Cuts

I don't know about the quality of these. I'm taking a risk I guess but for the price with those options, I'll take a flyer.

Going to use a Jem frame and install one of the Stan Chen gen 2 magwells, which will be fun.

I used to have a commander 9x23 years ago that I built and I lament ever selling it, so time to do a new one! Old one is in pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'm starting a new build here shortly, a commander size 9mm with a 9x23 barrel fitted up as well. I love the capabilities of the 9x23 but lack of ammo is an issue.

Buffalo Bore seems to have a few good offerings and I'll just order some of their ammo for when I might need to do "serious" stuff. For the rest of the time 9mm is (only slightly, currently) easier to get my hands on.

I'm at the beginning of the parts acquisition stage, but will post progress. Anyway, "cool story bro", I know. I like following build threads so I figured I'd do one myself.

Going to use this slide:

1911 Commander Carbon 9mm Slide with Rear and Top Serrations and Novak Sight Cuts

I don't know about the quality of these. I'm taking a risk I guess but for the price with those options, I'll take a flyer.

Going to use a Jem frame and install one of the Stan Chen gen 2 magwells, which will be fun.

I used to have a commander 9x23 years ago that I built and I lament ever selling it, so time to do a new one! Old one is in pics.
That is the same slide I used. ,Seems to be of good quality, I had no real issues.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I just upgraded my EDC gun, which uses a Detonics style frame. I used the same type of slide from RemSport, but in carbon steel for Parkerizing. Currently, as set up, I can go between 9x23 or 45 acp, by switching slides. I’ve got 3 boxes of Winchester 9x23 Silvertip. Perfect ammo for SD ammo.
Pic is of the new RemSport slide in 45 acp mounted on the gun. The 9x23 slide is on top.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
The only issue I had with my remsport slide (45 commander) was the firing pin hole needed to be deburred. Used a storm lake barrel that mated up nicely. I think remsport makes pretty decent stuff.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
+1 on Remsport.
I have used a couple and have more ferretted away, clearly the product of sharp, quality tooling.
+1 on Storm Lake, only used one so far on a commander 45 but quality barrel, fitted nice and accurate, will use again.
Remsport barrels are another good option, have 2 on the shelf haven't fitted yet.
JEM really like the extra width, 2011 rail on 1911 frame. One of their frames on a slab side build is on my bucket list.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the slide last week. Looks pretty nice to me. This going to be a custom, kind of a "no compromises" gun and I expect the final bill will be $1,500 +

To me at least, it's worth that to have something just the way I want that is going to look and function amazing.

For that reason this is probably going to take a while as I acquire stuff a bit at a time.

Now the slide is off to Pistolwrench for some cool stuff!!!

Somewhat related, I sent some functional but old and kinda ugly 1911 mags off to Ed Brown for a couple of their 38 Super and 9mm mags to go with this gun through their $10 mag trade in program. Great deal IMO.

Attachments

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Question regarding this project. What would be the proper commander recoil spring weight for this gun in 9x23? In 9x19?

It's been so long since I built the last one, I have no idea what I used.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
I build my own 1911 and STI 2011 guns. I have had very good results with Rock Island Armory slides. I have been able to purchase 1911 9mm Commander length slides (4.25") complete with fiber optic front sight and an LPA style fully adjustable rear sight for $189.

My last gun build was an STI 2011, with a commander length slide (with adjustable sights), an $89 commander length barrel (also purchased off E-Bay), a Rogue Tactical STI steel frame ($250), and found a used STI 2011 polymer grip for $99. With all of the ancillary parts (hammer, leaf spring, mainspring housing, slide stop, guide rod, etc., I have less than $900 in the gun, and it shoots very good...... A good used STI 2011 Commander would most like sell for $1,300 or perhaps more.... I am happy with the gun, and I enjoyed building it and enjoy shooting it! ;)

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a fun update. Chuck Rogers did some work on the slide for me. Just cosmetic in nature but I think it looks pretty sweet. I also ordered the frame from Jem but that's apparently about 1-2 month lead time right now, so progress is going to be slow. Also ordering the Chen Gen 2 magwell. Will post some more updates once I get the other parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A little bit of progress today. Reamed out the slide for an EGW reverse plug. I went a few thousandths deep with the reamer to leave the plug just a hair proud of the end of the slide, then blended it so it would be as flush with the end of the slide as I could get.

FYI, in case anyone tries this combination of plug and slide, the plug did not originally fit the slide. The area where the "ears" are that engage the bottom of the barrel were a bit too wide. A little filing of the slide and the plug got it done, but just know this might not be a "drop in" part if you use the same stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Small item of progress. Got the sights installed. I used the appropriate angled file for Novak front and rear sights to open the dovetails a bit. Both dovetails took a good bit of filing. There was no way the sights were going to fit without that.

Can confirm that this slide does indeed have both the rear and front Novak dovetail. The Remsport site was not specific on the front dovetail.

Went just a bit too far on the front dovetail and it's probably too loose a fit to use as-is, so I'll just pin it with a roll pin.

Rear sight is made by 10-8, front is Dawson fiber optic. The rear is their "extra tall" .375" sight. I don't think I necessarily need one that tall but it was a take-off from another gun that I decided to put a different sight on. Front, is the same height as what was on the other gun, .225". Hopefully the same setup will work on this one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've made a couple 1911s, a blued government model and a stainless commander. I'm partially along with my 3rd, it's going to be a blued government 10mm. All of mine (and one I helped my brother with) came from 1911builders. They are really striking and get lots of comments when someone sees one of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's an update and a question. Got the 9mm (Fusion) barrel fit to the slide. The 9x23 barrel is on order from Bar-sto and it's going to be a while.

I also fit the FP stop and Aftec extractor. Next will be blending the extractor to the back end of the slide so that it's perfectly flush and serrate rear of slide/extractor 40 lpi. Apparently, altering an Aftec extractor in any way voids the warranty but after having them in many guns I'm not worried about that.

It seems like maybe the Remsport slide is on the tighter side of things dimension-wise. With the other barrels I've fit I did not need to take as much material off, and it was the same thing with the sight dovetails. Not a big deal, in fact it's a good thing. Can always take more off. A lot harder to put it back on. Just putting that out there as an FYI.

So here's the question. You can see the guide rod sticks out a little at the end. I think I want to leave it that length. If I do, I want to put a 45 deg. bevel on the end, such that the base of the bevel will be right where the front surface of reverse plug is.

To ensure the bevel is even around the rod, I will need to somehow spin the guide rod and file it as it's spinning. This guide rod is all machined out of one piece of material so I cannot unscrew the rod from the base.

I don't have a mill or lathe. Anyone know how to rig something up to spin the guide rod, so that I can file a 45 into the end as it spins?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got a little bit more done. Blended extractor to back of slide and serrated it 40 lpi. I have this 1/2" think aluminum plate lying around so I rigged up a jig thing to hold the slide while I started with the file.

I liked using this big plate because I know it's very flat and it's nice and wide so the entire file rides on it as I start cutting lines so there's no way the file can tilt and the lines can't be anything other than perfectly horizontal.

Of course once, the file is only 1/2" wide so as I get up higher on the slide, the only thing to guide the file is the serrations I've cut below and that gets a bit trickier. The slide has has an arc to it both top to bottom and side to side, so keeping all the lines straight on that compound curve can be a challenge. I've done this same job a few other times and I seem to remember it being easier/faster and having better results. I can tell my eyes and hands don't work quite as well as they used to. Getting older sucks it.

Anyway, not saying this is a good way to do it, but it's the way I did it and I think the results are OK. I may end up hitting it one more time before I send it off for finishing.

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Grey
Table Automotive exhaust Wood Flooring Audio equipment
Wood Bumper Gadget Automotive exterior Hood

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I figured out a way to bevel the front of the guide rod. This would be so much easier with a lathe/mill, but I have to make due with hand tools.

Turns out the round raised area on the back of the guide rod is the exact same size as the ID of a spare recoil spring plug I had laying around, so I just epoxied it on there and the plug was perfectly centered. Just chucked it up in my drill, spun it, and filed the end.

It was strong enough to do the job and after I was done, I just broke the plug back off easily by hand and I'll just clean the very small amount of epoxy left on the rod by media blasting it.

Again, not saying it's a great way to do this, but it's A way.

Wood Kitchen utensil Tool Office supplies Hardwood
Wood Nickel Electric blue Tool Metal

Wood Material property Cylinder Gas Auto part

1 - 20 of 75 Posts