1911Forum banner
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
So I polished the feed ramp on the 9mm barrel and was still experiencing feeding issues. Long story short, I don't think the feed ramp has anything to do with the problem at this point.

Even when a round is past the ramp and basically chambered and in the position shown in this pic, the round will bind in the chamber. In this pic, "something" is binding and keeping the round from chambering. The binding is enough to overcome the force exerted by the recoil spring and can hold the slide open in this position. I can get the round to fully chamber by pushing on the back of the slide but there is resistance and an audible "click" before the round will chamber.

View attachment 623724

I can fully chamber a round and pull back on the slide a little bit, maybe about 1/2" and it will hang up and have to snap past that resistance each time I do this.

I'm using an Aftec extractor, and what I discovered is that if I take the springs out of the extractor and reinstall it in the slide, and go through the same process as above, the rounds no longer bind up at a point most of the way to fully chambered.

So the problem seems to be "too much extractor tension", but that's the whole reason I use Aftec extractors. I've never had this issue before and my understanding is that using springs instead of relaying on the extractor itself flexing was done to eliminate this issue. I've never had to "adjust" an Aftec extractor.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Maybe you need a EGW extractor. And a extractor tension tool and checking device from Brownells use your trigger pull gauge to check the tension. Good luck. Nice looking build.

·
Premium Member
9,193 Posts
If the front soght ismoving around so prevalently, you may consider cutting a small shim just smaller than the dimensions of the front sight. It shoukd be thick enough for a light press (tap) fit. THEN pin it.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Maybe you need a EGW extractor. And a extractor tension tool and checking device from Brownells use your trigger pull gauge to check the tension. Good luck. Nice looking build.
Maybe so. Possibly without merit but I've always thought the extractor was sort of a weak link in the design of the 1911. Just seems like relying on that piece of metal to flex and have just the right tension, and keep it, is less than ideal. I can't think of many (any?) more modern designs that don't use a spring to tension the extractor. I had previously used Aftec extractors in my competition and other guns and it was always just a drop it in and forget it affair.

Could be a "tolerance stacking" type deal, just because of the slide and other parts I used? I have another .45 1911 set up with a slide with an EGW external extractor (same as the Sig 1911 uses I think), so it's fair to say I'm just not a fan of the original 1911 extractor. I'm not advocating this for anyone else. Lots of people get 1911's to run with "normal" extractors. Just my own personal hang up. In any case, the mod I did to the Aftec seems to be working (for about 50 rounds at least). I should be able to put 100 rounds of 9x23 through it this weekend so we'll see.

If the front soght ismoving around so prevalently, you may consider cutting a small shim just smaller than the dimensions of the front sight. It shoukd be thick enough for a light press (tap) fit. THEN pin it.
Hmmm...if this comes up again I will try that. I realize that the TDC is very thin, but after plating, the sight was not moving around like that. I actually had to drive it into the dovetail with a plastic tipped punch, then I pinned it. Next time I'll also just try to be a little more patient as I fit the sight to the dovetail. Thanks for the tip though.

·
Premium Member
9,193 Posts
Maybe so. Possibly without merit but I've always thought the extractor was sort of a weak link in the design of the 1911. Just seems like relying on that piece of metal to flex and have just the right tension, and keep it, is less than ideal. I can't think of many (any?) more modern designs that don't use a spring to tension the extractor. I had previously used Aftec extractors in my competition and other guns and it was always just a drop it in and forget it affair.

Could be a "tolerance stacking" type deal, just because of the slide and other parts I used? I have another .45 1911 set up with a slide with an EGW external extractor (same as the Sig 1911 uses I think), so it's fair to say I'm just not a fan of the original 1911 extractor. I'm not advocating this for anyone else. Lots of people get 1911's to run with "normal" extractors. Just my own personal hang up. In any case, the mod I did to the Aftec seems to be working (for about 50 rounds at least). I should be able to put 100 rounds of 9x23 through it this weekend so we'll see.

Hmmm...if this comes up again I will try that. I realize that the TDC is very thin, but after plating, the sight was not moving around like that. I actually had to drive it into the dovetail with a plastic tipped punch, then I pinned it. Next time I'll also just try to be a little more patient as I fit the sight to the dovetail. Thanks for the tip though.
Good the plating gave you a tap fit. That last little bit of fit goes FAST. Probably 50% as much time in final fitting than getting to the final fit stage.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Put close to 100 rounds of 9x23 through the gun. I think a heavier recoil spring is in order. I used a 20 lb commander spring and while the pattern was consistent, the cases were landing about 10-15 feet away. Overall, the gun worked great. The magazines...not so much.

I used a couple of Ed Brown 38 Super mags and even before putting them in the gun I could see that there might be issues. When I loaded the full 9 rounds, the top most round would be angled horizontally or even a little downward, and sure enough it would smash right into the bottom of the feed ramp when I'd go to chamber a round.

If I loaded 7 or fewer rounds in the magazines, the gun ran 100%.

So, what is the best/most reliable magazine for 9x23? I guess I could also replace the mag springs with extra power springs instead. Other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
So, what is the best/most reliable magazine for 9x23? I guess I could also replace the mag springs with extra power springs instead. Other suggestions?
I've had excellent success with Wilson magazines in all three of my 9mm 1911's, a Dan Wesson Commander, a Colt Combat Commander and full-size Nighthawk Thunder Ranch.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I've had excellent success with Wilson magazines in all three of my 9mm 1911's, a Dan Wesson Commander, a Colt Combat Commander and full-size Nighthawk Thunder Ranch.
I use Wilsons in my .45 1911, and generally I think they are right near the top if not the best 1911 mags. I have read stuff about their 9mm and 38 Super mags sometimes not locking the slide back, but I'd give up the slide locking back if the damn things will feed 100%.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I use Wilsons in my .45 1911, and generally I think they are right near the top if not the best 1911 mags. I have read stuff about their 9mm and 38 Super mags sometimes not locking the slide back, but I'd give up the slide locking back if the damn things will feed 100%.
I've heard this before but after 1,000's of rounds thru each firearm, I've not had any issues with the slides not locking back, nor have I personally met anyone who has experienced this issue. In no way can I claim that it's not a possibility, just that is has not been an issue within the community that train and shoot with.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts