1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took new SA 2001 loaded compact (matte)from store to range, shot about 40rnds; Impression; I can only compare with Gov 1911A1 from WWII (which I like very much). firstly, seemed slightly fatter. maby this was just due to shortness of barrel and grip, but more likely was due to prounounced awareness of sharpness of checkering on wood grips. secondly; the sucker shore does kick up its nose! better make the 1st shot count 'cause it'le take me a while to get things pointed in right direction for next shot. thirdly, slide serations will likely take the hide off my fingers before too long (again, sharp edges). ?problem; with hammer at half cock my old GI .45 wont let the hammer fall when trigger is pulled, however, the SA lets the hammer drop from half cock when trigger is pulled. figure I'll consult with SA about this, since it is a safty check on the old .45. All rnds fed, fired & ejected fine except the last empty case remained in chamber. shot 2 more rnds & all seemed well.
All shots landed consistantly low & slightly to right. SA book says their point of aim is higher. don't know if is mee or gun.
Guess I'll be doing some filing, sanding, and a lot more shooting (to keep nose down!)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Congrats, I picked up a V10 Ultra Compact, and love it. I was very surprised by the gun's consistency/accuracy for a compact.

I agree, the serations on mine will take skin as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ARRGggg, took slide off to assess diferences between this gun and GI gun (& to clean). Now I've got a problem (and less skin). I can pull back the slide (empty mag in place), it locks back as it should. can take mag out, or leave in place, but the slide release will not budge (& neither does the slide), unless I remove the mag. Haven't tried it with a rnd in place. Any sugestions? this is a different 1911 than the GI and I expected better for the bucks it cost.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Since its a new gun, put a little rear-ward preasure on your slide just like you were going to rack it, and you should be able to disengage the slide stop.

Mine is tight too, but I'm sure that is due to the fact the gun is new and the springs (recoil and mag) are so tight.

My Kimber used to be the same way, but after putting about a thousand rounds through it it has loosened up a bit.

One thing I try to do on the range,,,,rather than using the slide stop all the time to close the gun, I try to stay in the habit of just grabbing the slide,,,,giving it a good tug all the way to the rear and allowing the slide to disengage the slide stop when reloading. That way if I ever have to use my gun to save my life, rather than being in the habit of fumbling with the slide stop, I grab the much bigger slide so that I do not have to depend on fine motor control in a stressful situation.

Thanks,
H4444

1 - 4 of 4 Posts