1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered this CQB in February and opted for 25LPI checkering instead of the usual 30LPI.

This frame is a little different than my aluminum CQB, X-Tac, and Compact.

This one has a thinner frontstrap and magwell is beveled into the MSH. I would imagine it slicks up a reload a tiny bit, but if you ever want to change the MSH it will add some work.

The checkering is not quite even from top to bottom or side to side but it’s pretty close. I really like the other frames better as they had just a little more meat on the frontstrap. This one is about like an Ed Brown. Not quite as thin as most Colts.

This pistol is a typical Wilson in that it was slick right out of the box. It ran 100% on ball and 147gr HST, which is it’s primary function in life. No break-in or goofy tricks. Just lube, load, and go to work.

For reference, the front of the steel baseplate is flush with the front of the grip on my other Wilsons and Dan Wesson.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Nice CQB, I like the thinner front strap better. I enclosed a pic of my last WC, the front strap is really beefy. Yours is more like my other WC and EB. I seem to like the look better. The Vickers is still a great 1911, very smooth and accurate. One of my favorites.

I am waiting on a build now, hope I get that frame.

I really like the all black look of yours. Interesting to see how well the AT holds up on the barrel hood.

Enjoy shooting the new WC.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one on that Vickers is the thickest one they had last year. Too thick, like a Baer.

I’ve had a barrel finished in black from Alchemy, it’s pretty close to Armor Tuff and it shows wear where the slide touches the hood and on the bushing end but I don’t mind.

·
Registered
919 Posts
The one on that Vickers is the thickest one they had last year. Too thick, like a Baer.

I’ve had a ba
rrel finished in black from Alchemy, it’s pretty close to Armor Tuff and it shows wear where the slide touches the hood and on the bushing end but I don’t mind.
I am waiting on a CQB finished by Baron. I hope the frame is closer to yours than my Vicker's. I might be sick if its thick like the Vicker's.

Beautiful 1911 you have there. The wear on the hood and bushing will just show that you use it.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
They're building me a couple of CQBs right now. One of them is a rebuild of a gun that had a frame like aaronsappl's. They tried thinning it a bit, but it didn't work out so they're building me a new gun. It'll be interesting to see if my guns come with this new frame.

·
Registered
919 Posts
They're building me a couple of CQBs right now. One of them is a rebuild of a gun that had a frame like aaronsappl's. They tried thinning it a bit, but it didn't work out so they're building me a new gun. It'll be interesting to see if my guns come with this new frame.
Bradd, I wonder why the different changes in frames. When i purchased the Vickers, I thought it was the Vickers grips so I ordered a different set from WC without change. Not complaining about WC, but I would have thought since they make there own frames, they would all look alike.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Are we sure this is a new frame and not just the difference between a 45 frame and a 9mm frame? They're most certainly not the same size...at least they aren't on my 45 and 9mm CQB's but these are a few years old so I don't know how it compares to what they're building today.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only thing that bothers me is that the checkering is not straight. It’s closer to the grip at the top and the whole right side is closer to the grip than the left.

It’s not the grips, these aren’t the ones that came on it.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
These are the threads about my frame. When I got it back from Wilson it looked great at first. It was late when it arrived and I didn't have time to look it over very well. Once I did, though, it turned out the frontstrap was angled relative to the grips and the checkering was 25 LPI instead of 30 LPI. The MSH was still 30 LPI. Apparently, they do 25 LPI standard now (which I actually prefer). I contacted Wilson again and they had me send it in. After evaluating it, they told me they were going to build me a new gun.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=949642

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=961410

One thing I will say is that the service given by Wilson is like no other company I've dealt with. It is absolutely top shelf. Whether it be resolving my concerns with this frame, ordering a new build, or getting sights put on a few of my Glock slides, they go above and beyond.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The only thing that bothers me is that the checkering is not straight. It’s closer to the grip at the top and the whole right side is closer to the grip than the left.

It’s not the grips, these aren’t the ones that came on it.
Like this?

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are we sure this is a new frame and not just the difference between a 45 frame and a 9mm frame? They're most certainly not the same size...at least they aren't on my 45 and 9mm CQB's but these are a few years old so I don't know how it compares to what they're building today.
All of mine are 9mm. Same frame as a 45, just cut for a ramped barrel.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ve talked to a couple of people at Wilson about the differences I’m seeing between checkering, beveling, and trigger feel between pistols that spec’d out exactly the same.

They said they it was probably new gunsmiths that do things however they want.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for posting, this is the best looking undercut and front strap I have seen on a new Wilson in years. Hopefully a sign of what is to come. The super thick front straps had me all but writing off Wilson

·
Registered
785 Posts
After spending that kind of money I would not have been happy with that answer. I couldn’t live with the hacked checkering.

I’ve talked to a couple of people at Wilson about the differences I’m seeing between checkering, beveling, and trigger feel between pistols that spec’d out exactly the same.

They said they it was probably new gunsmiths that do things however they want.

·
Registered
785 Posts
After looking at it a little more, I think your frame was cut for a magwell then they removed it after realizing the mistake or it’s a recycled frame.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
That’s what it looks like to me too. Looks like it was one of the thick frontstrap frames with a magwell that was recycled. Scrap pile build.

I don’t dislike it, but it annoying that it not what I expected it to be.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
What caught my eye was the s/n being earlier than the current ones. From what I remember, didn't the 14*** s/n range have the thicker front straps?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts