1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new CQB this afternoon, and will take it to the range tomorrow. The directions indicate that 300-500 rds should be fired through it before first disassembly. This goes against my instincts to field strip, clean and lube. I'm going to grit my teeth and follow the directions, but it sure doesn't seem natural.

G

·
If it was mine I'd put 500 rounds through it the first day I owned it.

Follow the directions, unless you think you know more about Wilson 1911's than Bill Wilson.

No flames meant............

·
Registered
841 Posts
i didn't follow directions :eek: and went ahead and stripped and cleaned my cqb when i first got it and then went to the range... maybe that wasn't a good idea but my CQB is well broken in now. Butter smooth action :cool:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Congrats!!!!

Follow the directions and you'll be fine.

I shot 450 rounds through mine the day I picked it up.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I'm visiting my father over in LA, and was able to go to the indoor range here this morning, and put about 425 rds down range. No problems except I had a couple hundred rds of Georgia Arms JSWC rounds which ftfeed several times. All of the UMC 185 gr fmj, Rem GS, Fed EFMJ and PowerBall went through with no problems. I'll disassemble, clean, lube and be back at the range tomorrow for some more "break in". I've used up the Georgia Arms ammo, am going to pick up some more of the UMC this afternoon. I confess that between mag loadings, I did put a little CLP onto a patch and wipe the exposed barrel with it. The only other problem I had were with two Ed Brown 8rd mags, which consistently failed to lock the slide back on the last round. They work flawlessly in my Kimber Gold Combat. A Chip McCormick which I used had no problems. Fortunately, I'm well stocked with Wilson mags. Thanks for the feedback.:D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Its my understanding that the carbon residue tends to help polish moving parts of the Wilson. I couldn't stand it either. While I didn't disassemble the weapon during break in, I used a bore snake, and used some grease on the rails. Read somewhere that Les Baer says 500 rounds are good, and 750 is better when it comes to breaking in the 1911. I went with the 750 count and haven't had a problem.

G

·
mssig,

You're going to love it.

I love mine. I bought it used with, IIRC, 1200 rounds through it. I have ZERO problems with it to date and I've put at least 1K rounds through it. All kinds of ball and HP ammo, not a single problem whatsoever.

It shoots better than I do as well. I can keep groups as tight as I ever could with any other handgun I've ever owned.

The CQB is really my favorite handgun ever.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Lee Woiteshek said:
Its my understanding that the carbon residue tends to help polish moving parts of the Wilson. I couldn't stand it either. While I didn't disassemble the weapon during break in, I used a bore snake, and used some grease on the rails. Read somewhere that Les Baer says 500 rounds are good, and 750 is better when it comes to breaking in the 1911. I went with the 750 count and haven't had a problem.
I heard this from a smith also. He said he's unsure if it really does make a huge difference in performance. He says it won't hurt the gun if you took it apart and cleaned it and then lubed it up and went to town with it at the range.

A lot of the guys that bought their CQB's didn't follow this procedure - only one guy bought the gun and went right to the range to blast 500rds. He said his FTF a bunch of times at around the 380rd mark.

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
I had tears in my eyes, but I did what Bill told me to. Man, was my stainless Classic a mess after 500 rounds! It was tough not breaking it down, but I made it. That gun is one of only two I've ever owned that has NEVER malfunctioned.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
The second is my SigSauer P226, born in 1988. I'm not counting my three newest (Kobra Carry, Colt new 70, & Kimber SLE) because none have over 1000 rounds yet. They are all feeding perfectly, but are still new.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Good luck with your CQB but then, there's no luck involved due to the quality that Wilson puts into their pistols. You will enjoy it. I do mine. ;)

I followed the directions about not breaking my CQB down until the 500 round count. Actually I went over the 500 count [650 or so] on my second range session with it and then broke it down while at the range for a complete cleaning.

I figured, seeing as how I spent the $'s for it that I did, I may as well follow the instructions of the outfit that built it.

I did run a Bore Snake thru the barrel a couple of times during the initial sessions. I was shooting a couple of different lead bullets thru it along with jacketed. I don't like to shoot jacketed thru the barrel after lead without cleaning the barrel first. The Bore Snake with a little Break Free did a good job on this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts