1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was intrigued by this new rifle and had inquired at a local dealer about these and was told he was having trouble getting these. I walked into another dealer today and they had one in stock. I lucked out and found one that accepts 92F mags and I already own a 92FS. Well, I decided to go ahead and pick it up. It did cost me in the area of $675. Fortunately, they were kind enough to throw in 2 boxes of ammo for me to begin the break in of this new toy.

The ergonomics of the gun are great. The bolt release and mag release required no adjustment to my grip. The safety was easily taken off with my right index finger without adjusting my group. The bolt and ejector are reversible for left or right hand shooters.

I shot it at 25, 50 and 75 feet. All in all I was happy with the accuracy as it pretty much shoots POA. It points easily as it's right on target once I put it in my shoulder. It recoiled a little more than I expected for a 9mm. I was shooting rapid fire at 25 feet and found that if I leaned into it a bit, I could keep some decent groups with it. The trigger was a little heavy, but broke clean. I'm going to put some more rounds down range and see how it breaks in.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I put another 130 or so rounds through it today. I used a mix of Amer Eagle and PMC 115 ball. Zero Malfunctions. I'm still adjusting to the AR style sights (I'm still paying off my AR, not to mention got to make room for it) as I never really shot much with these style sights. I'm sure I'll get more proficent as time goes by. Anyways, I'm happy with the overall accuracy of the gun. I'll keep practicing and get the feel for it as I make adjustments to it (like adding the 2 additional spacers to the stock.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
So would you recommend one?

I've been eyeing the CX-4, and the Kel-Tec Sub2000 and the Mech Tech CCU and another ($199, I forget the name) 9mm carbine.

I'd really like SOMETHING like this, but I don't really understand the differences and the varying price points.

Mike

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Michael_Aos said:
So would you recommend one?

I've been eyeing the CX-4, and the Kel-Tec Sub2000 and the Mech Tech CCU and another ($199, I forget the name) 9mm carbine.

I'd really like SOMETHING like this, but I don't really understand the differences and the varying price points.

Mike
the 199 one sounds like a Hipoint if i had to guess...am i right? if so its not a bad little gun, but dont expect it or the kel tec to be accurate...neither one is.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Yeah, that's it.

My local store had the Kel-Tec on sale this weekend for $279.

I think the 9mm CX4 Storm was $625.

They sure LOOK like fun, but I'm sort of waiting to hear what everyone else thinks of them before I spend the $$$.

Mike

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I've got a Hipoint--my brother and I each got one of for $148 when they first came out (brand new). Last time I saw one it was $169 new. I have had zero malfunctions with it and it is surprisingly accurate for what it is--certainly on par with the Marlin Camp Carbine I used to have. Great little guns for the money. I'm sure its not a Beretta, but then for the money...and you can't ask for better than faultless reliability and decent accuracy, especially for the money.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd recommend the CX4 as a great plinker and probably not bad as a defensive gun either. I've found the sights pretty quick to line up (they are AR style sights). I'm going to spend some time to see how tight a group I can get with this weapon. It is very much combat accurate though.

BTW, the accessories for it (i.e. the top and bottom Picatinny Rails) will not be available from Beretta until late Jan/early Feb '04.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Any other pistol-caliber carbines I should check out before I take the plunge and buy the CX4?

9mm, because ammo is inexpensive. The only other requirement is that it's lots of fun!

:D

Mike

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are 5 versions available. There is the 9mm version that takes 92 mags, a .40 S&W version that takes 96 mags, and then versions that accept Cougar Mags that are chambered in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 acp.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took my CX4 out again today. I picked up two aftermarket 20 rounders for it and they functioned pretty good overall, had one ftf. I'm impressed with the accuracy and the simplicity for cleaning. Now if Beretta would just get off their laurels and get the accessories out to the consumers. I tried to call Beretta the other day to get an update on the accessories, but I got tired of waiting on the phone for them.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've shot both the Beretta and the Kel-Tec SUB2000.

While both are quite acurate, I found the Kel-Tec to stay on target better and prefered the LOP on the Kel-TEC to the very short CX4. I also like the fact that it folds up to a very compact size.

The CX4 was going for $539.00 at a gun show. I picked up a NIB Kel-Tec at the same gun show for $249.00.

Fun gun... :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
If only there were 20 or 30 round mags for the CX4. A high cap CX4 chambered with 135gr high velocity .40 would be an awesome defensive carbine. With any hope the AWB sunset will bring about some hi-cap mags for the CX4

·
Registered
332 Posts
I wonder if the upcoming 45. chamber takes 1911 mags. Boy that would be nice. Probably not because it doesn't modify the clip port right?

·
Registered
177 Posts
variablebinary said:
If only there were 20 or 30 round mags for the CX4. A high cap CX4 chambered with 135gr high velocity .40 would be an awesome defensive carbine. With any hope the AWB sunset will bring about some hi-cap mags for the CX4
There are a lot of 30+ rd pre-ban Beretta 92 mags on the market. Check sportsmansguide & cheaperthandirt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kimber_man said:
I wonder if the upcoming 45. chamber takes 1911 mags. Boy that would be nice. Probably not because it doesn't modify the clip port right?
I'm sorry to be the bearer of BAD News but the .45 CX4 uses the Beretta .45 Pistols Mags!

·
Registered
332 Posts
DerRottweiler said:
I'm sorry to be the bearer of BAD News but the .45 CX4 uses the Beretta .45 Pistols Mags!
I expected that much

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After about a 2 1/2 month wait, I finally got the top picatinny rail for my CX4. There are three screws to mount the rail on the gun, but only one of the holes is pre-drilled. You have to drill the two remaining holes. The rear most drill is pretty easy as you can just drill straight through the plastic with nothing to get in the way when drilling after disassembly. The middle hole you have to watch as you have to drill above the barrel. There is a tool that comes with the gun to makes it easier to screw it in. I couldn't find the tool, so I just used a very long flat head screwdriver to hold the bolt in place while I put the last screw in. All in all it was pretty easy to assemble, but I have to admit that I find it odd that Beretta didn't have all these holes pre tapped for the rail.

I picked up a Meprolight Reflex Sight just for this gun, but was disappointed to discover that the sight sits to high for me to use my iron sights with it. I'm looking at picking up a Tasco or Burris red dot so that I can use the iron sights or the red dot interchangeably. However, I'm going to use the Reflex sight on it for now until I figure out what other gun to use it for.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts