1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my first DW yesterday. I went with a Pointman 45. It is super tight and the slide feels smooth as glass. The trigger is crisp with just a little bit of takeup and came in ~4lb 3 oz on my Lyman. I'll be shooting it Sunday. For the record, and because the seems to be a topic of issue, I am using FP-10 as a general cleaner/oil and put a little TW25b on the rails...both of which they suggest. I have worked the slide a few hundred times on the couch and it's smooth like on bearings.

I installed a set of WC Starburst grips and a WC Magwell that I had. I have a set of DW grip medallions that I was hoping to swap into the WC grips, but they are larger by a few hundredths. I am sending the medallions to Michael at SGM Grips and he is making me a set.

A quick and dirty pic...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Nice! Looks like you are doing all the things that should help with a good range session. Let us know how it shoots!

·
Banned
41 Posts
That's as pretty a 1911 as I've seen and I've had over 50yr of looking!!
For comparison, my CZ Wesson CBob in 10mm. 2009 version

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
That's a beautiful DW,, if I were to get another DW it would be the PM45.
Let us know how the range session goes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Congratulations! You're going to love it!

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got it to the range today for it's first session. It ran it's first 150rds flawlessly. All ammo was winchester whitebox 230 grain and I used 4 different brand/styles of mags. Every round fed properly, ejected properly, and the slide locked back on every empty mag every time. It was cold and windy, but when I did my part, it seemed very accurate. I am VERY happy with it.

Every 50 rounds I ran a few patches through the bore, wiped everything down with a light coating of FP-10, and cleaned and re-lubed the rails with a little TW25b.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I got to run another 100 rounds through the DW today. It shot flawlessly again. It seams like I am getting a lot of barrel wear for only 250 rounds. Does this look normal?...

·
Registered
257 Posts
I got to run another 100 rounds through the DW today. It shot flawlessly again. It seams like I am getting a lot of barrel wear for only 250 rounds. Does this look normal?...

Completely normal.....maybe this is your first 1911. They all do that. Very nice pistol BTW. Enjoy it.

Side note: Thanks for not saying "I just got my first DW and WOW just WOW". I don't know why that bothers me, but it does and I've seen it a few times and its usually from somebody that hasn't even shot it yet.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Nice! Gotta love it when new pistols are treated right during break in. Your barrel looks normal as well. Keep everything clean, clean, clean for 500 rds. and it will perform as intended. Congrads!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
It means your gun is fit to DWs tolerances and is completely normal.
Enjoy your gun!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Similar experience to my PM45 I purchased about 8 months ago. Started with S&B 230 grain ball ammo, using the prescribed FP10 lube every 50 rounds. My first 30 rounds or so, a few FTF and problems going into battery. One more into the second 50 rounds. After that, perfectly reliable and smooth shooting. I wasn’t a fan of the fiber optic front sight for my indoor range, lighting is sparse and my 55 year old eyes didn’t pick it up very well. Called DW service, they sent me out the proper Trijicon front sight, they already knew the proper height. My smith installed it, I sighted it in with a bore sighter...my new trip to the range after a few tweaks on the adjustable front sight, it was one-ragged hole. I’ve owned many Colts, a Springfield, a couple of Les Baers (a thunder ranch that was a jam o matic) and an Ed Brown Special Forces than would stovepipe every 20-30 rounds. Their answer? Only use Ed Brown mags. Nice. I shot about 50 rounds through a borrowed Wilson Combat CQB, it was freaking amazing but twice the price of the DW.

No such problems with the DW. This is the best 1911 I’ve ever owned. Delighted, she’s a keeper!

·
Registered
82 Posts

Yep, I like the Pointmans (Pointmen?), as well. I picked up a PM-9 back in Jan, like too much. My girlfriend bought me a matching PM45 as a present.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to shoot the .45 yet.
I do wish I got my hands on a 2019 model, but with the 2020 changes, I still like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Very nice! I love my Pointman 45. I also have the Pointman in 38 Super.
My only changes have been to install some thin profile Lok stocks...Enjoy!!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Beautiful gun for sure. I have 3 Dan Wesson's now. My 45 target is a Patriot - Expert. That is the predecessor of the PM45 from 2005. Sounds like you are doing everything correctly. Keep in mind though, if you read what Dan Wesson is saying about lubes, the FP10 is one of the recommended lubes so to protect the Duty Treat (black finish). In a stainless gun, that is not so much of an issue. But, it is a great lube. I use it also and it works just fine.

Enjoy your PM.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts