1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, I've been looking for a nice high quality 1911 for a while. I've got an old collector 1943 colt a1 that shoots very well for an old gun, but wanted to add something special to my gun safe.
On the firearms table laid: an Ed Brown Special forces, a nice Les Baer, and a DW Valor.
After fondling then for a while I chose the DW valor. All are fine pistols but the Valor " just spoke to me".... can't explain it.

Heading out to the range with it, my old a1 and my Glock mod30 carry gun.

( I'm thinking I'll head back and get the Ed Brown sooner or later 馃槂)

Premium Member
Congrats. Enjoy, you will love the valor. Did you get stainless or black Duty Treat. If you got the black, please take the time to read the sticky in this subforum on what to use and what NOT to use, so you don't ruin an otherwise incredibly durable finish.

Registered
Congratulations. You're gonna love the Valor. It's a great pistol!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I did get the duty coat. Richardw, thanks for the heads up, great thread. Also good to read as I used CLP on my other guns, won't be using it on the DW.

Heading out to the range today with the DW, my old Colt A1, Glock mod 30 ( my present carry gun), and for kicks my car wheel gun ( taurus Judge) - got the judge in a gun trade with the idea of selling it. Turns out it's a decent snake gun. But today will see what kind of group I can get with the .45 LC. However, the star of the event is the DW and what type of group she gets鈥 :)

Premium Member
Most of us use FP-10 or Fireclean on the duty treat. Works great. Other than solvents that can ruin it, the DutyTreat is impervious to wear. And you can read some amazing stories here about drops etc leaving no marks. Great finish

Registered
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, went to the range and shot the valor. Didn't get the groupings I wanted so I picked up the old A1 and did about the same actualy. I think I was anticipating and not using good trigger control, basic firearms 101. Shot ok, but not the tack driving accuracy I expected. But with only a few rounds through the DW, and getting used to it... I'm sure in time I'll get better with it. I'm also sure it's me and not the gun. The gun ran flawlessly without one failure of any time.

Premium Member
I don't know about me breaking in a new gun. But I know it takes a few hundred rounds for the gun to break me in and shoot it the way I want. Believe me, the Valor can shoot groups with any of them.

Registered
Congrats on your new Valor!

Registered
Well, went to the range and shot the valor. Didn't get the groupings I wanted so I picked up the old A1 and did about the same actualy. I think I was anticipating and not using good trigger control, basic firearms 101. Shot ok, but not the tack driving accuracy I expected. But with only a few rounds through the DW, and getting used to it... I'm sure in time I'll get better with it. I'm also sure it's me and not the gun. The gun ran flawlessly without one failure of any time.
Most guns can shoot infinitely better than the person shooting them. I recognize I will likely never achieve the precision of which the guns are capable. As for the Valor, I have yet to get used to the sights and tend to shoot three dot or fiber sights better. I know the sights shouldn't make that much difference, but with the Valor (for me) it does seem to impact my accuracy.

Registered
You made a great choice - and the more you'll shoot it, the more you'll like it.

On my DT V-Bob I use Fireclean with great results - the only product I use to clean, lube and protect. If you ever try it just follow the directions.
Other products that I can personally attest to are FP-10, Mobil 1, Hoppes's No 9, Dan Wesson Rail Lube and Ed Brown Lube.

Stay away from any cleaner/solvent/CLP that contains toluene - AND ALCOHOL IS A NO-NO.

Good luck with your new DW!

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, update: I slept on this and decided hit the range again today. I set the DW on sandbags a 15 yards. Indeed she shoots a jagged hole. Problem is, the hole is 1" low and 1.5 " left. So, some minor adjustments are in order. I see that the rear sight has a small Allen screw in it, and it seems this is for drifting the sight. Sadly I don't see any ability to adjust the sight for " high low" fine tuning. Anyway, I then shot off hand, paying attention to taking up the slack, breathing, sight picture ( I've been a USN firearms instructor ), in the end the gun shot very well except for the sights being a bit off, for me anyway. I am feeling the love. No other gun I'm sure could print any tighter a group unless it shot through the same hole for 7 rounds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts