1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone- I picked up my new Defender yesterday and headed right to the range. It ate up two boxes of Winchester 230 gr. FMJ, then a few boxes of Federal Hi-Shok 230 grs.- what a gun!

I have never been into .45 ACP, but am really impressed with the gun/caliber combination. I am using a Ky-Tak Braveheart IWB holster for carry and already love it. I've enjoyed carrying a full size Delta but to be honest this is twice as comfortable. It hits about 4" low at 15 yards, but that will be solved later with new sights. Anyway, my biggest impression was that while double taps certainly are not as fast as a 5" gun, the recoil is very easy to manage- perhaps the low mass of the gun?

BTW, the shop were I picked it up (a huge Wal-mart sized store called Jay's here in Michigan) literally had 1-2 examples of every gun Colt offers- even the blue Gold Cup. They had been lean on Colt's lately- but indicated to me they were getting a bit easier to get- though she also said that Defenders were the hardest of the line to get. It was fun to handle everything and see several examples of entry level guns with the new roll mark.

To top it off Gun Tests compared the Defender to the similar sized Springfield Armory and a Taurus .45 ACP...the winner? They put the Colt in first place- was more accurate, lighter and smaller than the other three. They conclude by saying that they feel that current Colts are the best guns the company has offered in over 10 years and claim the Defender is the best factory ultra-compact 1911 available.

That is sure nice to hear.

Brent

------------------
NRA, USPSA, IDPA and MCRGO member
http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~bchamber/10mm.html

·
Registered
111 Posts
Congrats on your fine Colt, Brent. I put a few boxes through mine the other night and was amazed how easy it was to shoot. Not a single malfunction of any kind and it was dead-on accurate. The Defender is going to make a great carry piece. Shane

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Hard to believe a gun rag actually told the truth as to Colt's latest quality. Course these guys don't take advertising money do they?

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Enjoy your Defenders, they are awesome little guns!

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

IF IT'S NOT A COLT, IT'S JUST A COMPROMISE!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can you STILL order NIB Colt Defenders through a local FFL? I was under the notion they had been discontinued. But I love those little guns.

Regards,

Warm Bore

------------------
"Molon Labe, and you can have the bullets first!!!"

101 Posts
Originally posted by Brent Chambers:
Hey everyone- I picked up my new Defender
Congratulations. It's always fun getting a new gun, isn't it?

To top it off Gun Tests compared the Defender...They put the Colt in first place
I really respect Gun Tests. Todd never has an axe to grind with any certain company. He justs calls it as it is. Yes, it sure is refreshing to see Colt earn a head-to-head victory.

Speaking on gun mags/rags, I just received the new NRA American Rifleman. They did a piece on the entire line of Springfield 1911s. In one little sentence, they mention the frames and slides are "contracted out", but all the final machining and assembly are done in Geneseo, Illinois. Yeah, but what they failed to mention is the "contracted out" means in Brazil. They left it very ambiguous as to where it is contracted out.

Even American Rifleman is in on the ambiguous puff pieces that are designed to never offend an advertiser. Editor to writers: "Let's choose our words very, very carefully."

Rob

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You sure can- from what I gather they are doing well right now in terms of sales.

------------------

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by Warm Bore:
Can you STILL order NIB Colt Defenders through a local FFL? I was under the notion they had been discontinued. But I love those little guns.

Regards,

Warm Bore
Defenders are still made, but the thing to keep in mind is that Colt makes their guns in "runs". at the moment, it seems they're doing the new rollmark Gov's and the LW Commander's.

Defender's were last available around the begining of the year, I think we bought like 10, and have 1 or 2 left, so it's just a matter of finding a dealer that has one.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called Colt yesterday with a warranty question and was told Defenders are now in continuous production- I think the guy's name was Frank.

Anyway, the way he said it seemed to indicate that this was a new direction, so I'm sure you were right until recently.

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts