1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Ask Colt, they should know and may help you. I’m not blaming you but it looks like something was sprayed on it that the finish couldn’t handle?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had been watching it in a shop for a while. That’s how it looked when it can out of the case. It looks like rust, but I don’t want to try anything without knowing. This is my second defender, my 100 years of service had surface rust the day I got it, I ordered it new and was there when it came in. It hasn’t gotten worse, but drives my crazy seeing the brown on it

·
Registered
131 Posts
Maybe use some steel wool if nothing else works.
Hope you got a decent discount if that how it came out of the box.
I had a Kimber that came pre rusted once.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Try bronze wool and a lubricant.

Take the gun apart, and disassemble the slide and removed the grip safety. Soak them heavily in a lubricant (gun oil, CLP, etc). Allow time for the lubricant to penetrate the oxidation. Then use bronze wool to rub the oxidation off. Repeat until the oxidation is removed to your liking.

I do not know how this will affect the matte finish, however. You may end up with a brighter slide.

Another option - And I don't recommend it, given the finish and where the rust is located - use Mother's Mag polish. I don't recommend this because you'll like end up with a very shiny slide when you are done.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you tried some 80-90% alcohol or hoppe‘s with a nylon bristle brush or old toot brush? Looks like what said minorcan said. Since it appears to be stainless this will not hurt the finish.
I haven’t tried anything, but I will.
Try bronze wool and a lubricant.

Take the gun apart, and disassemble the slide and removed the grip safety. Soak them heavily in a lubricant (gun oil, CLP, etc). Allow time for the lubricant to penetrate the oxidation. Then use bronze wool to rub the oxidation off. Repeat until the oxidation is removed to your liking.

I do not know how this will affect the matte finish, however. You may end up with a brighter slide.

Another option - And I don't recommend it, given the finish and where the rust is located - use Mother's Mag polish. I don't recommend this because you'll like end up with a very shiny slide when you are done.
ya I don’t want a shiny one. I’ve thought about sending it back to colt, but not sure what they are doing right now

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Colt's stainless steel alloy contain high carbon steel content. It requires proper cleaning and lube to block humidity if you live in area with higher humidity or carry often that expose to sweat and other elements might have caused the rust.

Unfortunately Colt doesn't tell you that much detail and some people would've assume it's stainless steel and don't need that much protective oil like blued pistols.

If you are not able to wipe clean those rust with oil, the only way to taking care of the issue is either sand/beat blasting or polishing to remove those.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Part the problem with brushed or bead blasted metal is it hangs on the stains of every kind . Dirt for your hands , maybe certain chemicals used during cleaning or lube . With a couple months of carry time could you have missed what happen or built up over time .

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Part the problem with brushed or bead blasted metal is it hangs on the stains of every kind . Dirt for your hands , maybe certain chemicals used during cleaning or lube . With a couple months of carry time could you have missed what happen or built up over time .
It was like this out of the box, not due to carrying it or dirty hands

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Just take the gun and have it mirror polished. That polishing job will get rid of the rust AND make the gun look pimpalicious.

·
Registered
311 Posts
that was happening to some guns in my LGS, they concluded it was the Air Fresheners Sprays, they have been using.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
If its rust related , stainless steel in firearms tends to be magnetic too so maybe a little vineger with clean it up !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts