1911Forum banner

New Defender

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Whit 
#1 ·
Just picked up a new Defender today to replace the one I traded off...bad move. My first one was an XS and this one an XSE. This one stays with me. Only one minor complaint. Within five minutes of removing it from the box the front sight white dot fell out. Unfortunately I was outside and it fell in the grass. Haven't found it yet. I am thinking about going to a hobby shop and getting some hi viz orange model paint to fill the hole left by the missing white dot. Anyone ever tried that?

#2 ·
yes, it will work, just make sure there is no oil on the front sight. Get florescent paint.

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

IF IT'S NOT A COLT, IT'S JUST A COMPROMISE!

#3 ·
The dot fell out of my Commander's front sight and I just used white acrylic paint and clear fingernail polish. I applied and let the paint dry, approx. (1 hr.) and then applied 2 thin coats of the polish. I allowed the first coat to dry to the touch, approx. (30 min). I then applied the second coat and let it dry overnight.

UdontnoME is right, make sure the sight is free of dirt and oils before attempting this, or you will have the same problem again.

hunter

#11 ·
You guys are probably right in stating that there is no XS or XSE Defender. I was referring to the sights and grip safety on my first on in calling it an XS. It did have the Novak type sight and the beavertail grip safety with the "bump" running it's length. The new Defender has the standard rear sight with the "peened" front sight, not the dovetailed as on the XS.

I hope to make it to the range with it tomorrow, even without the white dot on the front sight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.