1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a DW stainless Pointman Major 9mm. The fit and finish seem first rate. Trigger seems very crisp and easily the equal of my Kimber Stainless Target II 9mm. I really like the white outlined adjustable rear sites. Great site picture!
The only thing that concerns me is the unramped barrel. I've read that the ramped barrels tend to be more reliable in 9mm 1911's. Is this true? Should I be concerned about the unramped barrel? I'd appreciate any feedback from other DW 9mm owners.
I can't pick it up until Thur. due to the mandatory wait period. Can't wait to get it to the range next Fri. I will then post how it shoots.

Nero

·
Registered
717 Posts
I reload my 9mm. My pet load is 4.8 grain of W231 with a 100 grain West Coast 380 bullet. A couple of other guys at my range use 380 cal 95 grain JSP's form Roze Distributors and run a little more powder. Mostly I shoot steel. The little 380 bullets are extremely accurate in a 9mm or 38super with very little recoil.

·
Registered
333 Posts
BadOscar,Is it a DW 9mm?I have not had good luck reloading the one that I have.I shoot the Wally world stuff to,but I reload everything else.
Rich

·
Registered
717 Posts
Really. I wonder if it has anything to do with being unramped. My 9mm is a Springfield 1911 and it has a ramped barrel. What do you mean by "have not had good luck". FTF's?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I picked up my PM9-S today and I've got to say the more I examine and handle it the more impressed I become. I picked-up a Kimber Stainless Target II 9mm about 2 months ago so I figure I'll compare the two side by side for you'll. However, please realize that I haven't shot the DW yet--probably won't get to the range until monday--after I actually shoot the PM9-S I'll update this review/comparison. Also, I know almost nothing about metallurgy, so I won't even address MIM parts, cast vs forged, ect..., except to give MHO on appearance and feel.

1) Finish/Appearance--Both the Kimber and DW are clearly well made stainless pistols, though I would have to say that I personally prefer the DW's finish. It is polished (not mirror bright) on the sides/flats and a slightly darker, matte finish on the top/bottom of the frame and slide. The Kimber has a uniform matte and slightly coarser feeling finish--this coarseness may provide a somewhat better grip/purchase for sweaty hands--but aesthetically I prefer the DW. Both have nicely done front and rear serrations on the slide. The DW has attractive, checkered double diamond wood (?cocobolo?) grips with a plastic DW logo medallion inserted on each side. While the Kimber has a rubber?, checkered double diamond grip. Both appear to be high quality and give a good grip/purchase but again aesthetically I prefer the DW.

2) Slide/Frame fit-- Both the DW and Kimber have a good tight slide/frame fit (I've personally have never been too concerned over my 1911's being very tight--I own and have shot a number of Colt's that were rather loose and were still very accurate and reliable). I'm sorry DW fans, but the Kimber has a slightly smoother feel to it when racking the slide. Though the DW is by no means coarse in this area (much smoother than my SA stainless Mil-Spec).

3) Barrel--The Kimber has a ramped barrel while the DW is not ramped but throated. I have read that some people believe that a ramped barrel is more reliable for 9mm 1911's but I have not yet shot the DW so I'll have to wait until I get it out to the range a few times before I can form a informed opinion. Though on a gut level I would prefer a ramped barrel.

4) Trigger--Both are long, skeletonized triggers. The DW has a smoother less sharp feel to the face of the trigger making it more comfortable to my trigger finger. Both have absolutely excellent trigger pulls, though after comparing both side by side I'd have to say the Kimber's trigger is SLIGHTLY crisper.

5) Sights--The Kimber has Bomar style adjustable rear sights with no white dots/outline. The DW has a pinned in place, white outlined, adjustable rear sight on a raised rib. Both have dovetailed front sights (the DW also appears to be pinned in place), the Kimber has no white dot while the DW does. I really like the white ouline and dot set-up on the DW and it also has little arrows telling you which way to turn the screws to adjust the rear sights. Both provide a good sight picture. My only complaint about the DW's sights is I wish the gap between the rear sight and slide was smaller--nothing functional, just aesthetics.

6) MSH--The DW has a nicely checkered, well fit, ?steel? MSH. The Kimber unfortunately has a cheesy plastic MSH. Putting plastic on a 1911 is just plain UNSAT!!

7) Grip Safety--IMO the DW's bump, grip safety has a much nicer feel to it and is slightly easier to depress. Also DW's grip safety has a better fit.

8) Guide Rods-- Both have full length guide rods. DW's web-site says theirs is 2 piece but I swear mine is a one piece!?! Personally, I'd prefer the good old fashion short guide rod/plug set-up. The Kimber came with a plastic Bushing wrench. The DW did not----but should have.

9) Magazine--Notice I wrote magazine--not magazines. Both came with only ONE magazine. Come on guys thats just chintzy! Throw us a bone and provide TWO mags. If you'll have to charge an extra $20-$25 bucks so be it. In their defense, at least the Mag they each supplied appears to be well made. I know the Kimber mag works well, we'll see how the DW mag works.

10) Reliability/Accuracy--As I said I haven't shot the DW yet so I can only relate my experience with the Kimber. The Kimber is VERY accurate. It is without question the most accurate out of the box 1911 I've ever shot. However, I have had some reliability issues with the Kimber. It's averaging about 5-10 FTE per 100 rounds with Winchester Value Pack 9mm ammo. Each failure is the same--the spent case is not fully extracted out of the chamber. I believe that it is just a matter of tuning or changing the extractor. The dealer says he will send it back to Kimber to be fixed. I will take him up on his offer next week (I've been waiting until I had the DW before sending my Kimber away).

11) Cost--I paid $900 for the Kimber and only $600 for the DW. Frankly, I just don't see how the Kimber is $300 better than the DW!! If the DW shoots anywhere near as well as it appears to be made--- it will be one of, if not THE best 1911 value on the market!!!

As I wrote earlier, I will update this review/comparison as soon as I get the DW to the range. But thus far I am very impressed with my new PM9-S!!

nero

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'm sorry DW fans, but the Kimber has a slightly smoother feel to it when racking the slide. Though the DW is by no means coarse in this area (much smoother than my SA stainless Mil-Spec).
The Kimber is broken in, or at least fired a little, right? I'd be interested in a comparison again after the DW is broken in.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Hello nero,
As your Dan Wesson only came with one magazine, look at the Metalform 9MM Magazines for Springfield 9MM. They have a little ramp attached to assist in feeding.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Nero,befor sending your kimber back ,i would try a lighter recoil spring.Winchester value pack are light loads.That is what I shoot in my DW9mm and had to go with a 7lbs recoil spring.
Rich

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took the PM9-S out to the range today. I used 2 types of ammo, Geco 124gr. and Winchester White box Value Pack 115gr.. First the good; the PM9-S is VERY accurate! Initially it was shooting about 2 inches low at 50 feet. With a quick adjustment of the rear sights I was shooting silver dollar sized groups with it (free-hand @ 50 feet). The pistol is a joy to shoot except (here comes the bad) it was consistantly having FTE problems with the Winchester ammo. Each failure was the same, the spent casing is only partially extracted out of the chamber. I had the exact problem with my 9mm Kimber, so I switched to Geco 124gr. ammo (which did work flawlessly in the Kimber). The PM9-S was reliably extracting the Geco when I used slow fired, but would again consistantly FTE when I tried rapid fire. I tried 3 different magazines with the same results, so I don't think it's the magazines. I believe that it is a case of insufficent extractor tension but I'm no gunsmith, and I'd appreciate any suggestions from anyone reading this posting. Should I try a lighter recoil spring? And if so, what weight?
Bottom line; I think the PM9-S is a great 9mm 1911 and a wonderful value in the 1911 market. I believe that the FTE is a simple matter of tuning the extractor. Again, I'd appreciate any advice anyone could provide on the FTE problem.

nero

·
Registered
717 Posts
I would first check the extractor tension. It should be able to hold a loaded cartrige without falling out but still move around a little. It may need to be tightned, both my DW's exhibited the problem of loose extractors. Take a look at where your empty brass lands. If it is dropping at your feet then you should lighten the spring. The brass should land a good 3-4 feet away. I used an 8lb variable in my springfield 9mm.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all for the suggestions. I just dropped the PM9-S off at a local gunsmith who has quite a bit of experience with 1911's. He also told me that he thought it was too little extractor tension. He said he was swamped with work, but would have it ready by next week.

nero

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
Next week?

Wow it is a 1 minute job, if you take your time.

Go back, bring it home and do it yourself. It isn't rocket science at all.

Bob

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I realize that it's a quick and relatively easy adjustment. But I know that this guy knows what he's doing, and the week wait won't hurt--I've got enough other pistols if I want to shoot between now and then. Besides, this guy will only charge a nominal fee. I should learn how to do it on my own though--when I pick it up I'll ask him to show me how it's done.

nero

1 - 19 of 19 Posts