1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used but unfired Dan Wesson PMDP from my local shop.

The serial number is DP0024X. I will post a pic of it later, but I have seen different variations. Mine has the smaller DW logo on the slide and the gold DW grip emblems. I have seen other posts about this gun and I am a little confused as to how many were made. Is this one part of the original run that was limited to 500?

Regardless of its "collectability," this is a beautiful gun. I had a DW Pistol Pack many years ago, but this is my first DW in a while. May not be the last!

Duane

·
Registered
186 Posts
The more I see that model the more I like it. It has grown on me a lot and would love to shoot one. Unfortunately I have yet to see a DW in person. The first time I'll see a DW in the flesh is when I pick my Patriot up this week.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a PMDP as well. Sounds exactly like yours, my sn is DP0019X range. I really like the looks of the gun, especially the chevron style cocking serrations (even thought they've been called funky on this board in the past).

I think Bob or Phil in the past answered the question concerning how many have been made but I can't remember the number. No matter what the number they're still a very nice gun with a ramped barrel. Have fun

·
Registered
551 Posts
Greetings

I too picked one of these up a few months ago. After a half dozen trips to the range during normal sessions... I am afraid it is either going to be sold or will become a project gun. I have had some fairly significant problems with FTF's with all of the 3 loads I use regularly. These are loads and with magazines that work well in my other 1911's. Wilson, Shooting Star, Colt, and MecGar magazines. The performance is the same almost regardless of brand, although a little worse with Colt factory mags.

The extractor was poorly fitted, but that has been addressed.

The thumb safety is poorly fitted. When I purchased it, I thought it was due to the plunger sticking, but now that does not seem to be the case. It is very loose and very easily moved "off safe" with the slightest touch. I am surprised that it got out of the factory this way.

The only thing I have done so far is to switch the factory extracor with a Wilson that I adjusted. I need to decide if I want to put the original back in and trade it, or try to fix it myself.

I had high hopes based on some of the things I read here, and the price was right.

I am not ready to write off DW based on one example... but I am disappointed. I have had many 1911s in the last 25 years from relatively inexpensive to full customs, but this one has had more trouble out of the box than any I have ever owned.

I would be interested to hear if any other have had problems, particulary with the safey.

·
Registered
114 Posts
PMDP

I have PMDP #205. Had a few minor issues that a quick trip back to DW fixed within a week. Very pleasant folks to deal with.

It's now my favorite .45 to shoot. I bought a P220 recently that I really like, but I still shoot better with the PMDP by a large margin.

Overall I'd say I'm very pleased with #205. I'm also saving for a stainless Patriot - but that will have to wait a while. It's tough for me to justify another 1911 when I have one that functions 100% and shoots like a custom job. Tearing the center out of Bulls at the ranges I shoot at (indoors) is pretty easy with this pistol. It is definitely getting smoother the more I shoot it, and I'm close to 2000 rounds with it now. It's a keeper!

·
Registered
844 Posts
DDGator, Thanks for the purchase and have safe fun with her.

BloodyThumb.... If you need help call us and we will help you out.

Thanks,
Bob
DWF

ANd the rest of you thanks again for the nice comments!!:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got the PMDP to the range this weekend. I shot 80 trouble free rounds of Win White Box. Great accuracy. The fixed sights are pretty much right on for a 6:00 hold.

I continue to be impressed. Very nice gun.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Servarw (Bob).

Thanks for the offer. I am leaving very shortly for the holidays, but I will make that call after the first of the year if that is OK.

I would very much like to get this one running properly. I am one of those folks who likes the idea of having a CROSS on the slide, and had hoped to have good luck with my first DW, possibly give this one to my son for his first 1911, and then look at a Patriot.

Thanks again,

BT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts