1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After cleaning and heavy lubrication, I ran the first 100 rounds through it today. First, this is the tightest 1911 I've had my hands on, maybe too tight. On the first charge it failed to chamber a round. It appeared as though the extractor is so tight that it is not allowing the case head to slide up into the breech face. So I gave it a nudge to get the round chambered, and it would cycle a couple and then bind up again. After 70 rds or so, it started to bind less frequently. Second, the spent cases were coming out so violently that they did a bounce of the slide and went about 30 feet high and right. Using factory mags and SIG elite FMJ ammo. Should I remove the extractor and tune it? Should I add a stiffer recoil spring?

I'm not too interested in sending back to NY for these issues.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I recently bought an Eclipse in 10mm. I've shot 200 trouble free rounds thru mine. It also bounces cases off the slide just behind the ejection port. I replaced the 18# recoil spring with a 22# because it felt really under sprung and flung brass about 20 or so feet. I haven't shot it since the spring change so I don't know if it made a difference. I do like the gun a lot though. It's my 3rd 10mm.
Tomcatt

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
Kimber is notorious for undersprung guns. I use a 22# spring in my Delta Elite.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips. I'm thinking of ordering a wilson combat extractor, and both 22 and 24 lbs recoil springs.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
I shoot my Kimber Stainless Target in 10mm as it came from the factory. I added the grips and an S&A magwell. I plant o add the Bar Dot adjustable night sights. It shoot lighter factory loads, my reloads, which are a little more peppy and hot loads from parabelum research. Its my Zombie Killer.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Congratulations, 10mm rocks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I purchased a Eclipse 5in 10mm a a month or so ago. Had a few issues with chambering. The machining around the entry of the chamber and top of ramp is left too sharp IMO. I very carefully dressed the sharp areas with a small 1/2 round diamond stick, then polished the chamber and edges. I also removed the extractor and polished the end up on my fine wire stainless brush wheel, and polished the bolt face. 200 or so rounds of various brands FMJ and HP, No further problems....very pleased.

PS....mine throws brass about 15 feet......at about 2 o'clock angle. The brass does hit the slide.....no big deal to me. the heavier spring sounds like a good idea to try.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
If you've ever seen a Shok-buff break apart, you will never want to use one again.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
While not a Kimber and not a 5" gun, ny 10mm 1911 also flings the brass about 30 feet away after striking the slide aft of the ejection port. I talked to a Wilson 10mm owner who said the same of his gun. I also talked to BBBill here on this site that stated 10mm is a different beast. He mentioned it could be possible to tame it a bit but it isn't easy to do.

Mine being a 4.25" gun I rather not go trying to mess with it's timing and at current it puts all the brass in a very small circle area just 30 feet away. So I don't feel like playing with the ejector or extractor either.

You guys, with your 5" guns, might have it a little easier to try to tame the beast.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
A simple recoil spring change could solve the ejection issues, especially if they are flying that far away. I'd also venture a guess that if they are, your gun is getting beat up on the recoil side.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok. So I picked up a 22 lb recoil spring, and decided to tune the extractor. I followed bill wilsons instructions, and just eased the entry angle a little, and reduced the side tension. However, I destroyed the black finish on the slide trying to remove the spent brass marks. The finish came right off with hoppes 9 and a scrub brush. After firing, and confirming my tuning, I think I'll send the slide out to have the hideous, cheap looking, and thin black coating removed and polished. It sucks that my $370 m&p has a nicer finish than my $1100 kimber...

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
Sorry, but the Eclipse has always been known for a terrible finish. Pretty when new, but wore off like crazy. If you really want to keep the gun my recommendation would be to send the whole gun in for Robar's Np3 finish. It is not a spray and bake like so many others, but a chemically bonded coat that has a lifetime guarantee. Many will suggest hard chrome, but that doesn't hold a candle to Robar, and it still rusts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I ran another 100 rounds through the eclipse. now it will fail to feed about 1 in 8 rounds, the spent cases are still bouncing off the slide and traveling 30 to 40 feet. Now the hang up with feeding seems to be in the chamber throat. perhaps the chamber is a little too fully supported. Perhaps the barrel lug timing is no good. Perhaps the ejector is just wrong. Perhaps it wants a 25 lb recoil spring. It is a nice looking and accurate piece though.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
Perhaps it's time to call Kimber customer service? After all your issues I would be firm and possibly ask for a supervisor.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sorry, but the Eclipse has always been known for a terrible finish. Pretty when new, but wore off like crazy. If you really want to keep the gun my recommendation would be to send the whole gun in for Robar's Np3 finish. It is not a spray and bake like so many others, but a chemically bonded coat that has a lifetime guarantee. Many will suggest hard chrome, but that doesn't hold a candle to Robar, and it still rusts.

I have been looking very hard at the Eclipse 10 mms,after reading the above, should I look at the stainless target ii. This shall be my first Kimber.

Info like this is why I joined this fourm. I am going to retire in about 9 months,if I get over my health problems ,knee replacement,hip replacement, and back problems.the hip is happening tomorrow.

Thanks for all info,that I have gotten from ,the Kimber members.

·
Registered
375 Posts
own a 10mm elite (carry sights...not target). bought it (ahem...) "used" (if it was ever fired before I bought it, I'd be shocked)

she's not ammo finicky at all, however, she is funny about mec-gar mags. (think it's a fixable issue).

I have zero complaints about the pistol whatsoever. recoil isn't the awful, end of the world as we know it, global warming inducing horror that some would have you expect.

the price of 10mm practice ammo is the only gripe I have with the caliber...hopefully, since the 10 is seeing a rebirth in popularity, that may change.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts