1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Banned
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw, brand new on the shelf @ $889.00.

The stainless looked great. The black finish accents looked fine until I took a closer look. Finish on the black grip safety is scratched and thin. Overall it reminds me of one of the last Detonics guns to come out. I'll be sticking with the CDP series, as I have questions about the durability of the black accent finish on the Eclipse.

Regards,
SamColtFan

· Registered
50 Posts
Without a doubt Kimber's CDP series is a winner. Their ProCDP is one of my favorite carry pistols.

But now and then I go crazy. Yes, I admit it, I bought a Pro Eclipse II - with stupid firing pin safety and all.

The grip safety on mine ain't scratched...yet. According to Randy with Kimber, the pistol's finish is similar to bluing. They vat dip it in a black oxide finish and then buff polish it. Should be as durable as a blued pistol, more or less.

If mine's not accurate, it's something I'm doing wrong. But I claim the over 50 (years old) with bifocals handicap.

Here's 50 rds. offhand at 15 yards.

Now my ProCDP has a great shooting, great looking companion.

All the best.

· Registered
254 Posts
Tx CCL,

WOW - Nice pistol!

I think I may have to have one...

Does the Pro Eclipse come w/nite-sights?

Would you rate the Eclipse comparably to the Pro CDP?

If yes, to above questions - I'm sure I will have to have one!

Thunder25, Out...

· Banned
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Saw my first Eclipse Custom II @ $1015.00 today. The gun was absolutely perfect. Beautiful finish, nice fit, great trigger and no scratches or thin finish as was the case with the Eclipse Pro II. The Custom was a knockout!
SamColtFan

· Administrator
80,888 Posts
Originally posted by SamColtFan:
Saw my first Eclipse Custom II @ $1015.00 today.
SamColtFan
Talk them down below a grand, then buy it. You'll like it, trust me.

TX CCL, what happened with those four stray rounds? Better send it off to Kimber to have it fixed, right away!

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI 1911 pistols website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 07-17-2001).]

· Registered
1,564 Posts
Originally posted by Thunder25:
Does the Pro Eclipse come w/nite-sights?
Yes, they're fixed, not adjustable.

Would you rate the Eclipse comparably to the Pro CDP?
Heavier frame, not rounded edges, a hair cheaper. The finish looks nice, but won't last a very long time in high wear areas.
(this shouldn't be a problem with the blackened inset area's) Course, I've worn through the bead blasted area's on the stainles, leaving shiny spots, so it's not a major thing.

If yes, to above questions - I'm sure I will have to have one!

Thunder25, Out...
I have no fear you'll buy one as soon as you look at one, regardless :)

· Registered
50 Posts
DSK,

4 stray rounds?

Those must of been from my 2 double-tap drills. Yeah, that's it.

Did send slide off to Kimber after that range session but was cause front nite sight went dark after only 150 rds.

Got slide back today and will be at the range this afternoon to see if front sight holds up or not.

Damn, I love .45's - big sound, big hole. Oh, and make my .45 a 1911.

- All my shots make one ragged hole.

· Registered
499 Posts
I almost bought one at the last gun show I went to. I ran a cross a Springfield long slide V16 in 45acp/45super that I couldn't pass up at $600. I've priced them in shops in this area and they run in the $895-$ll00 range. I didn't make counter offers because I didn't want to waste someones time since
I already owned on. I still plan on dealing on an Eclipse. Seems people I've talked with either really like the finish or strongly dislike it. To each is own!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.