1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called one of my LGSs this morning on a hunch, and they had a California-approved Executive Target in stock. Drove over to check it out and simply couldn’t resist. No flaws or imperfections that I could find, the bore is like a mirror, a sweet 4 lb. 2 oz. trigger and with a super tight lockup but with butter smooth cycling. It is sitting in 10-day jail now, but not before I snapped a couple of crappy cell phone photos. But when I get her home, I will post some photos that even birdy would be envious off..

(Just kidding, birdy - no way I have your skills!:()

In any event, I have a new Wilson Combat Snag-Free gold bead front sight for it, and tomorrow I'll get in touch with Brian at Challis Grips for some fancy new clothes for baby. I'd like to get a flush crowned muzzle as well, at some point soon.

Only thing I'm not sure of is the Gen III coated finish. While it is certainly nice looking, this particular piece will not be a carry weapon, and if I want to have additional custom work performed (such as rear slide serrations or a chamfered slide stop hole) then I would need to need to have the frame and slide re-finished. It also appears that the controls (safeties, releases, etc.) are Gen II coated as well, yes?

So my question to all you knowledgable Ed Brown owners, do you know if the Gen III Exectutive Target is stainless or carbon steel? If carbon, then bluing would be a refinishing option. ... I guess I could just call Ed and ask him...

Thanks, guys!

Crappy cell phone photo…
Phone Photo in Store.jpg

BTW, this is probably a dumb question, but how do you insert an actual photo (as opposed to an "attachment") into a post? I checked the Forum's FAQs, but must have missed something.

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Congrats on the new Brown.

As to the base steel it can be either, all depends on how it was ordered.

Pull the slide off of the frame, if there is a S stamped/engraved on the underside of the slide and inside the bottom of the frame behind the slide stop pin then it is in fact stainless steel..IF missing these markings thine it is carbon steel.

Enjoy your Brown.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
LongColt,

Great handle. A fine, old cartridge.

Of course, your slide would need to be refinished if you cut into it. I think that you would not need to refinish the frame with the work you described. A lot of smiths want you to send in the whole gun if you refinish the slide so they can check the fit. I would check with whoever is doing the work.

If you go to Questions and Suggestions on the index page of this Forum and then hit the first thread on How to Post a Picture, there are great instructions there.

Regards,

Craig

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Congrats! Very nice Brown.

BTW, this is probably a dumb question, but how do you insert an actual photo (as opposed to an "attachment") into a post? I checked the Forum's FAQs, but must have missed something.
You have to open a free account at Photobucket (or Flickr, ImageShack, etc).
You can upload your pics there and then link them in your post (use the "insert image" button).

In any event, I have a new Wilson Combat Snag-Free gold bead front sight for it...
Different front sight dovetail cut. Not going to work.

I'd like to get a flush crowned muzzle as well, at some point soon...
Consider ACW for this job (just my 2c).

Enjoy your new toy! :)

·
Registered
2,631 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
The fact that the handgun (including specs) is listed on the CA roster.
You cannot change any spec when you buy it.

California Roster of Handguns
Thanks for that link. It's purely for interest purposes only, as I'd never live in CA.

That said, if you had to pick one or two features that put a handgun on the list, what would it be (i.e. mag capacity, etc.)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Ed Brown Executive Target

REPLICANT: California approved handguns are listed under CPC sections 31900, 31905, 31910, 32005, 32010, 32015, 32020, 32025. I don't want to hijack the thread but you can google the California penal code and read the listed sections. Be forewarned written by attorneys for attorneys to generate revenue for the attorney you have to hire.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ed Brown Executive Target

Thanks, guys, for all of your comments and informative replies...

It is good to know that Ed Brown is good and fast for additional custom work on their guns. I would have to ascertain if they can perform all the options I'd like to have...

Hammond: Thanks. I will check for an S stamped/engraved on the underside of the slide and inside the bottom of the frame. I remembered to bring my Lyman electronic trigger pull guage to the LGS, but forgot to bring my magnet to check for ferritic stainless (which is also magnetic to a degree) vs carbon steel.

replicant: The link to the CA-approved list which Birdy posted is the one I use - he beat me to the punch. My understanding is that firearms manufacturers must submit three copies of each model to the Cal DOJ for "destructive testing", drop testing, etc., along with about five grand (this information was obtained from a respected LGS owner). Obviously, they are not going to do this for models which are not selling really well. Currently, there are only three CA-approved 9mm 1911s - two Kimbers and a Springfield; I have never seen one (oh, woe is me!).

Birdy: Thanks for the details on the in-line photo insertion methodology. I'll give it try on my next post. On the gold bead front sight, I can use the Wilson version on my Springfield when I send it to ACW for major customization and finish work next year. I also want them to heavily customize my Dan Wesson. Both of these 1911s, while not being top grade weapons, will shoot 10 rounds into well under one inch at twenty five yards from my Ransom Rest with specific handloads (usually 185 grain Sierra JHPs over AA#5 or Tightgroup), and thus are prime candidates for a style update (at least, they are to me). When I called ACW recently, they said they are booked for the rest of the year and to call back in January. I got the impression that the wait would be several months. Can you provide any feedback on that?

Interestingly, I have read that a pre-shipping swap to the front sight does NOT remove a firearm from the CA-approved list. I have emailed Tony Munson at Wilson Combat to check into that for my upcoming Supergrade build - havent' heard back yet. If true, then I could have a gold bead added to my upcoming Baer build (although they also don't show a gold bead front sight on their list of parts on their website. Also it looks like Brown does not offer a gold bead front sight on their website, so it looks like I should either call them or consider other alternatives. Any additional thoughts on this...?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Also it looks like Brown does not offer a gold bead front sight on their website, so it looks like I should either call them or consider other alternatives. Any additional thoughts on this...?
A couple of years ago, Brown told me that they would install a Wilson rear sight if no special milling of the slide were required. The only way to know for sure what they would do now would be to call them and ask.

Also, you have some very nice weapons with more coming!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, scw2. I think I definitely should call Ed and find out what's what on all this stuff.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Ed Brown offers a gold bead front sight, it's a Novak (at least they offered it...)

A picture is worth a thousand words, so take a look at this EB SF 9mm thread.

Post #6. Pic #1/3/5/6: factory Ed Brown gold bead fs on a Ed Brown Special Forces. Pic #2/4/7/8: factory Wilson gold bead fs on a Wilson Classic SG.

Regarding the crowned and recessed barrel. Carefully take a look at post #3, pic #4/5.
Do you see the difference with the angle? ACW cut is more the Wilson way.
Ed Brown bevel/cut is something around 10-12º.
The question is: what do you like more?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
The fact that the handgun (including specs) is listed on the CA roster.
You cannot change any spec when you buy it.
This is pretty close. You cannot change any spec before you take possession of the gun. Once you have the gun in your possession, you can change it however you like.

Sights are not part of any CA requirement and can be changed prior to purchase.

You can insert pics like this:

Like Birdy said, the image must be on the internet somewhere. Then right click on the pic. If you're using Firefox (and you should be) click on Copy Image Location. If you're using some other browser, copy the URL. Then click on the
and past what you copied in the popup window. Then click OK and your picture will be inserted.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I forgot to add this. Your gun is carbon steel. That is the one that's on the CA DOJ list and unless you're a LE, that's all they can sell you. Ed Brown won't take any chances on guns sent to CA. They will all be exactly what's on the list.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Posting Photos...

Hey, it worked! (not that I would ever doubt the sagacity of the wisdom dispensed on our illustrious forum!) Thanks Birdy and Rastoff

1924 Colt Government Model wearing its new stag

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sights, Muzzles, CA Rules and Customer Service

Birdy: I called Ed Brown this afternoon. They buy Novak gold bead front sights in bulk as it is a very popular option. The CS rep, Justin, provided me with the exact diagramatic specifications of the sight (depth of dovetail, height above slide, angle, width). I subsequently ordered that exact sight from Novak.

I checked out your side-by-side muzzle crown comparison photo. Couldn't really see the angle on the .45 ACW crown that clearly, but it looks to me like the ACW (Wilson style) bevel might have a bit shallower angle. However, you've got a great macro shot of a Wilson 9mm beveled crown on your Supergrade Dressed thread. Comparing the Wilson crown to the Brown crown, I still couldn't discern much difference. Probably would if I was holding both guns. In any event, they both look great to me and I'm sure I'd be more that happy with either.

California Sights:
I heard back from Tony at Wilson Combat. No way they are modifying the front sight on a new gun shipped to California. Justin at Ed Brown told me the same thing. Regardless of the verbiage of the legalese in the California statutes (which I have not subjected myself to the pain of reviewing), these boys are not taking any chances.

Custom Modifications:
At this point, my grand scheme is to send the Brown back to Brown for the custom work that I would have ordered had I not lived in CA. They can now strip off the Gen III coating and blue the firearm if I desire (and at a very reasonable cost, I might add) - something they have only recently acquired the methodology to perform. I will also send the Wilson back to Wilson for the custom work. Warrentees remain intact, and the results should be the same as if I had custom ordered these guns. Any additional work will go to ACW. My Dan Wesson and Springfield will go to ACW as well.

Ed Brown Customer Service
After reading mixed reviews on the quality of the customer service of several semi-custom 1911 shops on different forums, including this one, I wasn't sure what to expect today when I called Ed Brown to ask about the gold bead front sight. As mentioned, Justin provided me with the specs to order the correct part from Novak. We then discussed everything from the characteristics of the Gen III coated finish (ultrasonic cleaning is just fine), to break-in, to returning the gun to Brown for more custom work and the pricing structure, firearms shipping and how Brown could help with that, and more. Justin was thoroughly knowledgeable; he had all the info right at his fingertips. Additionally, he was pleasant and accomodating, making several helpful suggestions. Granted, I was not calling about a problem or requesting warrantee work; nonetheless, it was one of the better customer service conversations I've experienced.

Thanks again to everyone.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Harley Rider: You know, the Ed Brown rep (Justin) was firing off prices for all this different work that I was asking about, and I was just sitting here thinking, "OK, that sounds good ... yeah, that sounds good..." I didn't write anything down because he said that when I was ready to send back the firearm that I should call and we'd put together a price package.

But, I remember thinking that it was stupid cheap. Just working from my aging memory, I'm going to say it was under $200 - I am fairly certain that if it was more, it wasn't much more, and that was for the frame, slide and all the Gen III coated parts! I asked, and Justin said that they do not use mechanic means, such as bead blasting, to remove the Gen III. He implied that they use a proprietary solution-based dissolvant, which would reduce the labor involved and subsequently the cost.

I'd give them a quick shout on Monday at 573-565-3261. If you do, maybe you could post back with those prices?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts