1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my old set of earphones didnt work out, they were the lower end $100 ones. I got the manufacturere to refund my money. I now need new ones.

Peltor Tactical 6S, Peltor Tactical 7S, Remington R2000, etc.........

What do you use?

·
Registered
238 Posts
The tactical 7s are the classics and have served me well for years. They are more comfortable for long periods and have a slightly better NR. I recently tried the comtac model for awhile and did not find them as comfortable nor as effective as the 7s

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I like my 6S's alot. They are thin enough that they don't get in the way when shooting long guns. The batteries seem to last just about forever, and they work quite well. I've grown devoted to these muffs as an instructor. There is nothing better then hearing a student or the range officer clearly and not fussing with the muffs all the time. They are basically comforable enough that I don't have to take them off if i'm even just near the range.

later,
AJ

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have the 7's.. got them about a month ago, they work great, but looking back, I'd probably get the sixes, which seem lighter.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Radians disappointing

I got the Radians when they became available here last May and while the NR is great and they had done well until recently, the two major drawbacks have been SHORT battery life (7-10 hours) and flat head non-captive screws on the battery compartments.

BUT: after six months now, the left side is becoming unusable - after about an hour, an annoying static starts up and persists. I haven't contacted Radians yet about warranty, but I am disappointed.

While they were half the cost of Peltors the battery issue makes them more expensive over the long run (3 AAA cells per side adds up when replaced every 10 hours of use or so.)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had 3 pairs of Radians go bad on me. I got my money back.

I can get Peltor Tactical 7s for $125 (old design, not the new Surround Model). The Peltor Tactical 6s are $140 and the ComTacs are $250.

Which one should i get?

·
Registered
398 Posts
musky hunter said:
I can get Peltor Tactical 7s for $125 (old design, not the new Surround Model). The Peltor Tactical 6s are $140 and the ComTacs are $250.
You should be able to fint the 6's for ~$110 is you look around some. IPSC has the 7's for ~120

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What model of Pro Ears do you recommend? I am looking to use this for all around shooting. The $120 for the 7s is a good deal, but they are too large for 3 gun use. I am seriously looking at the 6s and Remington R2000.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have a couple pairs of pro ear dimentions and a pair of the magnums. I use the magnums the most cause they are real quiet.

Really a great set of muffs. I have a set of the peltors that I leave in my truck incase I forget my proears but mostly I just loan they to others. They are ok but not quiet enough for me.
Mike

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I had the Peltor Tac 6, they only worked for about a year. Even after being rebuilt by Peltor they still had some static. I now use Proears Magnums. I am very pleased with them.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Anyone have a link to a Proears site or dealer? Haven't seen them in So Cal.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Peltor Tactical 6s, Peltor Tactical 7s, and Peltor COMTAC Headset's are really good, its rare to hear of people who've had problems with them. If you don't have the need to hookup comms to your headset then I'd just go with the T6's or T7's, even though the Comtac is heavier duty and will take more abuse.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
11_Bangbang said:
The Peltor Tactical 6s, Peltor Tactical 7s, and Peltor COMTAC Headset's are really good. Its rare to hear of people who've had problems with them,

I shoot with 4 other people that bought Peltor Tac 6 or Tac 7 earmuffs . Only 1 person has not needed to have them repaired or replaced within 1 year. Peltor has a specific link on their website for electronic earmuff repair, that doesn't sound like a product that rarely breaks to me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
eljay45 said:
I shoot with 4 other people that bought Peltor Tac 6 or Tac 7 earmuffs . Only 1 person has not needed to have them repaired or replaced within 1 year. Peltor has a specific link on their website for electronic earmuff repair, that doesn't sound like a product that rarely breaks to me.
Just about every company under the sun puts out a few lemons here and there (regardless of what products they make), I am unaware of any wide spread quality control problems with Peltor . Having a Tech Support and Repair link doesn't indicate a problem, it does however indicate a company willing to stand by their product and try to correct any problems should they arise. I have had a Peltor ComTac for little awhile now and I'll bet almost anything that its been through a lot more abuse than any civvie shooter has put his headset through.
In addition to my personal experience, the Peltor's are being highly regarded by soldiers serving in both Afghan and Iraq, they are also getting quite a bit of use here stateside. The ComTac and T6's seem to be the popular of the bunch however, I only know of one soldier with a pair of T7s in my battalion and he seems to like them. Whether being used in the field here or over in raghead land I have yet to hear of any complaints about the performance or quality of their headsets.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I personally had to replace 2 sets of Peltor 6s - I replaced the second set with a set of Peltor Tactical 7s which I have been using for more than a year with no problems.

The problem both sets of P6s developed was a slowly developing hum/static first in one, then in both ears, increasing to the point that that was all you could hear. I have talked with several others in my club who have had the same problem with the P6s, and the common thread is that all of us sweat heavily about the head when competing and practicing.

My theory is that the P6s seem to be susceptible to excessive moisture, which in a short while damages the circuitry.

I have had no such problem with the P6s.

I felt that both the P6s and P7s provided adequate protection, particularly when used with foam or molded plugs when indoors or around the big stuff.

Just my $.02.

Tony

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have been using a set of ProEars Predator 300's and like them alot. The ProEars use a compression rather than a cut technology which works well and keeps hearing rather natural.

The Predators are cheaper than the rest of their line because the electronics will only compress sound, not amplify it (this is what the guy at Ridgeline (the mfr) told me).

I got them pretty cheap too (like $99) at Midway, but I see the price has gone up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts