1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a like new in the box 2 tone 45 firestorm 45 that looks to be a 1911 clone .fit and finish look good.have not shot it yet. only had to give $200 for it. are they junk or did I do ok.....thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have one and I love it. Shoots great as a stock pistol, but I wouldn't go trying to modify it. All parts are not compatible with other 1911's, but some are.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont believe anything these mags say at least the ones that accept advertisements. had a friend that worked for a magazine and you would not believe the things he told me . In short if you are a advertiser you get good reviews, also they pick non advertised brands and give bad reviews, and also article contend is controled by advertizers as well.This id not to reflect on gun test mag because I know nothing about them.they may accept advertisers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Preserve Freedom:

They tested the Model FS45GM.

RON 1: GunTest Magazine does not accept any advertisements whatsoever.They give you their straight honest views on all the equipment they test.They also sell the equipment that they test at the same price they paid for it.Great people www.gun-tests.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My firestorm is a FS45GTD. I dont know but for $200 it shoots well and never hangs up....everyone to there on eben gun test mag....

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had a friend that owned one years ago.It was no tack driver,but possesed acceptable combat accuracy and never really had FTF or FTE with ball ammo.If I remember right,there wasn't too much interchangable with 1911 types,but so what.I think they're made in Spain.These guns always impressed me as pretty powerfull gun in a small and extremely light little package.If you got a basically new one for $200,I'd say thats a great deal.If you can shoot a couple/few hundred rounds threw the thing without drama,no worries.

Just my 2 cents,enjoy Byron

·
Registered
21 Posts
I purchased a Full size Firestorm last month. Other than the trigger being less than smooth, which causes me to shoot low, I like it just fine. Paid $286 out the door...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by RON 1:
I bought a like new in the box 2 tone 45 firestorm 45 that looks to be a 1911 clone .fit and finish look good.have not shot it yet. only had to give $200 for it. are they junk or did I do ok.....thanks
Ron... that soulds like a good deal to me. I bought a NIB full size 45 Firestorm last month, but was not two toned. Paid $285 out the door. The only problem I have is the stiff trigger... it's not very smooth at all... hope it gets better with use. Mine shoots real low at 10 yds.. most likely because of the stiff trigger and my pulling the gun down as the result. Other than that it's fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Firestorm Gov't 45

I got mine at a gun show several years ago. I polished the hammer hooks and sear which greatly improved the trigger pull. I also hated the way the trigger flopped up and down in the frame by almost 1/4" (I'm not telling how for fear of being laughed out of the country :biglaugh: ). After fixing those problems I have a great carry gun with great features for $250.00 plus I ordered several spare parts just in case (www.firestorm-sgs.com). The importer directed me to a webpage that lists 1911 compatability but it's not perfect. I broke the sear (routine safty tests for a carry gun, I pulled the trigger too hard in half-cock, not a failure of the weapon per se) and found that the pin for the sear and the hole in the sear is slightly smaller than standard 1911 so that a 1911 sear will have too much slop. I can't recall a single jam in over four years and probably close to 1k rounds. I also got a houge front grip insert which really makes it comfortable!!!! (the serrations on the front of the grip dug in too much sometimes) If only pachmyer would make their wraparound grips for the different screw position of the firestorm/llama

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
These guns seem to be hit or miss which makes me think they must use the same quality control folks that Sig does on the GSR line! :biglaugh:

ranburr

·
Premium Member
20,432 Posts
They got tired of being called Llama...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope to post a range report later on mine, I bought a goverment length FireStorm for $340... yes, it was kinda high priced, but not much available locally unless you want to pay $400-500 for a springfield. This is my first handgun.

I took it to the range, and within 100 rounds, I was putting the whole mag within a 1" patch in the center, at 10 yards... no FTE or FTF's with 230g FMJ winchester and blazer ammo.

How accurate should I be trying for? what's a decent range, 20 yards or so? I have trouble spotting where I hit a target at 25 yards w/out binoculars! LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Firestorm .45 government model

I purchased a firestorm .45 government model about 3 years ago. This gun has more than 2000 rounds through it with zero failures.

·
Banned
221 Posts
I bought 1 of these in the spring it was more reliable than the Colt I owned for my 1st .45 . Only problems were that the Magazine lock kept working it's way lose , and it shot low and left so bad it wouldn't hit a buulseye target at about 30 ft . I sent it off to Ahlman's for warrenty repair they fixed the mag lock and then called me and tried to convinve me it needed a $75 trigger job because it shot just fine for them . I elected to not have them do a trigger job , when the gun got back they had done something because I could now atleast hit the paper even though it was still low and left .

Then I did a REAL DUMB thing .

I tried installing a Millet adjustable sight myself, and took the gun apart and tumbled the sear , hammer , and trigger to polish them figuring it would help the trigger . I have the gun back together and everything seems to function but the gun wont fire ! Now I need to send it off to a gunsmith I have been putting it off because I know I am going to look like a fool when I explain what I did .

If your gun needs work or you want to do something DO NOT make the mistake I did !

1) there is a spring under the rear sight that works the trigger safety , I lost mine and had to order another from firestorm
2) the notch for the rear sight is deeper than a Colt's and a millet wont fit ,it will need a gunsmith to machine it and refinish the area when he is done

Years ago I had greatly improved the trigger on a S&W 586 by simply deburring the parts by running them over a wetstone " got this idea out a Guns & Ammo magazine " it worked great thats why I figure " Hey I can do this !!"

I wish I had left my Firestorm alone even though it shot low and left I should have just drifted the rear sight and kept shooting it till the trigger got better or spent the $ and let a "Smith" fix it .

I Know I look like a fool here but hopefully it will keep someone who is realy new to guns from messing up a perfectly good gun . Follow the manufactors directions when cleaning -working on them unless you have a qualified person to help you or be prepared to send it off to a gunsmith and look foolish !

·
Banned
221 Posts
figured out what I did wrong

Called the "smith " I go to and he was a little busy so I decide to have another go at Firestorm to see if I could fix her .

I figured out that what was happening was the mainspring was moving when I installed the grip safety . The finger that activates the firingpin safety via the grip safety wasn't making contact with the pin in the frame .

If you take one of these apart , durring the reassemble process slide the mainspring housing into the frame just enough so that it will hold the mainspring down . Then slide your grip safety into place from the top , in other words line up the holes and install the frame safety then push the grip safety down on the mainspring and push your mainspring housing up and install the pin that holds it into place .

While I'm not about to go and rip my Charles Daly apart I imagine this will be helpfull to those that completely take any 1911 style weapon down to the frame .

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought a Firestorm .45 Gov't about 2 months ago. It has proved to be a very accurate and reliable weapon. At 20 yds it shoots about 5" to the left. other than that, the accuracy is great. I have not had a single jam, except I had a winchester .45 self-defense round smokestack on me one time. I have found that this gun performs best, for me, on Wolf ammo. (surprisingly)

I have had only one problem with this gun, and it was minor. The plunger screws continually came loose when I would fire it, causing the slide stop to be totally unuseable. That was fixed easily though. Has anyone else had this happen, or was it only a freak problem? Overall, for the price, I think it is an excellent .45

·
Registered
35 Posts
BTW Big001, you said your gun shoots low and to the left, right? Just some friendly advice, is it at all possible that you are "jerking" the trigger? Usually, when you jerk the trigger, it shoots a low-left. Try resting the gun on something solid, and very gently squeeze the trigger and see if it helps. And it might still be the gun, and you may have already tried it. When I first got my 1911 Gov't, i thought it shot low-left, until I realized that I was very frequently jerking the trigger. Now, that I'm shooting correctly,(like I said before) It shoots 5" to the left at 25 yds. So try it and see if it helps any.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts