1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been drifting around on this forum and the 1911.org forums for a while now, looking and reading mostly about Rock Islands. My dad has always told me about this .38 super a friend gave him, I may have seen it once years and years ago, but the good news is he just found it a couple days ago! I have a couple of questions:

The piece is not in the best condition, some pitting throughout on one side of the pistol, and what appears to be some rust splotches on the outside. On the mag release side is "COLT super .38 automatic" with the horse logo. On the other side is "Colt's MFG. CO. Hartford CT. U.S.A. The serial number is 106032. Any ideas on when it was built? What it could be worth in its condition, and is it worth refinishing and tuning up? Where would be a good place to find a factory magazine?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It looks like it was manufactured in 1952 according to proofhouse.com. Maybe you could post some pictures so we can all see it. You can buy new factory magazines from Brownells. You'll have to search around if you want a vintage 38 Super factory magazine. Some others hear can likely give you an estimate of value. Again, pictures would help.
http://www.proofhouse.com/colt/index.html
www.brownells.com

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
The gun has been heavily modified for probably Bullseye use.

Has:

a) the frontstrap been checked or is that one of those clamp-on or stick-on checking pannels?

b) has the rear sight notch been enlarged to accept the Micro adjustable rear sight?

c) has the slide at the base of the front sight been milled at all?

There is a 1950's vinatge .38 Super that has been modified just about exactly like your's but has been reblued in a shop near here...asking price is $750.00

Bob

ps..use a darker background and the detail of your gun will come out better..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the tip about the pictures, will keep that in mind next time.

I honestly haven't been able to do much investigative work with it, because I frankly don't know what the heck I'm looking at. I don't know much about gunsmithing, so I don't know how to tell if the sight notches have been modified.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
For the rear sight you would just have to tap out the old one and see if an origianl Colt still fit in the dovetail.

As to the front sight, sometimes when adding a large Patridge type sight like this, a smith would mill a flat on the top of the slide so that the whole base of the sight sat flat on the slide.

If you go over to GunBroker.com and look at some of the 50's vinatge guns over there, some have pretty good pictures you can compare your gun to.

Bob

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
The gun is worth refinishing and fixing up. First as you have it it's worth cleaning up and checking out the mechanics of it. There is a sticky around here somewhere on checking out the safeties on the 1911, etc. that is worth looking at.

Magazines for the gun will be available at your local gunatorium or online.

I'd encourage you to take the piece by a local gunsmith for a complete disassembly, cleaning and checkout.

This piece could be brought back to decent shape.

tipoc

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
...and remember also that these older guns have the headspace on the case rim barrels that don't give the best accuracy in the world. If you are going to keep it to shoot it change out the barrel to a heaspace on the case mouth design chamber. If properly done the original barrel can be put back in for no loss in collector value.

Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all of the advice and input, I will take a look around here and see if I can find some of the stickies about the safety tests and all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts