1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Inspired by the late Rob Simonich's 'Gunner' grips.

The frontstrap pictured has been slightly dulled using 240 grit
sandpaper. The grip is very positive, yet less 'sharp' than 20lpi
checkering. It is only .030" deep, so works well on thin frontstraps.
The high-cut is 'as-machined' and still requires blending.
I will be doing mainspring housings and slide panels as well.

Can anyone think of a name for this?

:) :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey Chuck, that looks great. It looks like it may provide a little more "bite" than regular scalloping? A couple of names for the pattern could be:

1. Simonich Surface

2. Simonich Scallop

3. Rob(s) Ridging

or simply:

4. Simonich Pattern

·
Registered
713 Posts
New frontstrap treatment

Looks great Chuck....if it sticks as well as Simonichs grip panels
and you do the same to the MSH ....wow....I will be shipping a frame and MSH soon :D
Later-Barry
PS: I guess you took the saying of "If you ain't the lead dog the view never changes"literally ...
BJG:biglaugh:

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
Very nice.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Looks great! If you could figure away to do the grips in reverse I think it would blow everything else away.

Do you think this would work on the thin frame of the Browninh Hi-power?

Hardball1911

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
"Working on a new treatment" and done with a new treatment are two different things.:hrm: It appears simple (read understated), and functional. This will be perfect on that S70 I sent you. Another fine idea.

So then:

"Simonyds" (not my idea)

"Siamonds"

"Simonellograms"

"Simon's Diamonds"

"Simonich's Diamond's"

"Tributes"

"Rob's Ridges"

·
Registered
203 Posts
That looks great!

How about RIPS

Rest In Peace Simonich

I guess I am going to have to hunt down another Series 70 to ship you. Then I can say I got my gun RIPPED by Chuck Rogers. Between you, Ted Yost, and CT Brian, my kids will have to go to trade school or they better start cracking the books to get scholarships.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I call it innovative, creative, fantastic, awesome etc. Once again Chuck has showcased his incredible talent. I really like the look with the matching grips. Are the grips available for sale? Thanks for the great show...........I like it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Chuck you're killin' me. I thought I had guns with all the front strap treatments there was. Now here's another I need.
Now to find a base gun.

How about:
negadomes (negative domes)
simmples (simmonich dimples)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Very elegant Chuck, I'm truley impressed. While I cannot think of a 'catchey' name for it, I would call it 'reverse diamond texturing', or 'reverse diamond checkering,' leaning to the latter as my favorite.

This gives me a great idea for a future project, I just need to cross a few more off of my list before I get to it.

Thanks for the pic's.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts