1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been selfishly enjoying my new Fusion custom and have finally found enough time to sit down long enough to write a little review of this fine 1911, including some photos.

First, let me say that this is my first 1911. Up till this point, I have been shooting a Beretta 92, a Kahr P9 and various S&W wheelguns. Most of my shooting interest has revolved around the shotgun sports and shooting sporting clays with my wife. Then out of nowhere, I got bit by the 1911 bug. I spent about four months lurking on this and the other forums. As this was my first gun, I didn't really want to invest $2,000 or more for an EB or LB or NH. On the other hand, I wanted a gun that was "special" and more than just another mass produced factory piece.

After much research, I discovered Fusion Firearms and Bob Serva. Being new to 1911's, I was a bit intimidated to pick up the phone and call a custom shop. But Bob could not have been easier to work with. Having read horror stories about deplorable customer service at some of the big custom houses, I was surprised and delighted that Bob was so friendly and accessible. If you need anything, you pick up the phone and you are talking to Bob. If you hit him with an email, you get a response within the day, if not within minutes. The art of customer service is alive and well at Fusion Firearms.

The following is a copy of my work order, to give you an idea of the features I wanted on this gun.

Overview: 1911 custom built pistol in 45 acp, 5 inch, With
Stainless Steel Pro-Series matte finish frame and slide with polished sides

Item Description Cost
1) 1911 Custom Pro-Series frame with Front strap checkering(30 LPI)
Beveled/chamfered magazine well, .250 radius cut for
high ride grip safety
2) Slide 5 inch, Front & Rear serrations with Novak sight cuts with
Adjustable Novak sight rear and front dovetail both, Rear Black serrated
ADD XS white dot with tritium Front $30.00
3) Custom Trigger group, with trigger job to 4.0 - 4.5 lb with clean
let-off.
TYPE of HAMMER: Pro-Comm, Black
TYPE of TRIGGER: Black "K"
4) 416 SS, Match grade STD barrel with fitted link and SS bushing
5) Small parts: All Small parts Stainless Steel a) High ride beavertail,
b) Checkered Mainspring housing, c) Extended thumb safety,
d) Checkered slide stop, e) Full length 2 pcs guide rod
f) Combat slightly extended mag release
6) Grips - Smooth Satin AAA+ grade Cocobolo THIN GRIP
With Torx screws
7) Matte Pro-Series fine Matte for frame and polished sides on slide
8) Complete build cost $975
9) (2x) Magazines 45 ACP, fittes and function tested w/pads
(x) Additional Mags $14.80 if you want them. ******
10) Shipping to FFL of customers choice $35.00
11) Dehorn, all Edges $45.00

Total $ 1 ,085.00

Before I continue with my impressions of this gun, I will post some photographs.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Nice! Thanks for the pics - I have been considering one of his guns for myself.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ducks,

Thank you for the nice comments! I'm speaking for Bob and myself when I say that Your quote, "The art of customer service is alive and well at Fusion Firearms.", is the backbone of our mission. Without our customers we have nothing, no sales, no service, and no business. Yeah, we do our best to provide a quality, attractive, reasonably priced product but that's only half of the equation and everyone knows that you can't survive giving 50%.

Again, we truly enjoy our work and appreciate all of our customers. Thanks!!:rock:

Dale.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Once again I add my kudos to Fusion. Next on my list some kind of 9mm CCO or Commander, in that order.:rock:

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Ducks,

Looks like a great pistol at a great price, congratulations :rock:

How do you like the slightly extended mag release? If you were
shooting with a flashlight any chance you could hit it? It doesn't
look that way. I only ask because I used my Brothers para with
an extended mag release and dropped the darn mag out during an IDPA
flashlight stage :dope: This looks like it would be easier to use without
the risk of hitting it.

Looking forward to a range report....when you get a chance:)

Still saving for my Fusion.....Hopefully by summer. I see these great
pics and terrific reports and can't take it any longer:biglaugh:

Good luck, she looks like a beauty!

Chris

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RANGE REPORT 1:

Went to the outdoor range a few weeks ago. Given the cold conditions, I really was not planning on shooting for accuracy, but only to ensure that the firearm was functioning properly. I met three other friends at the range, with hopes that they would help me put some rounds through the Fusion.

We put out targets at 12 and 25. The only ammo used was WWB. I brought two 100 rnd boxes.

In addition to the Novak mags that came with the gun, I brought one extra McCormick 8 rnd Power Mag.

Having come from shooting a Beretta 92, which exhibits fine "combat accuracy", I was blown away by just how accurate the Fusion was. (So, this is what you guys mean when you talk about "groups") At 12, the gun was printing big ragged holes, just left of center. The adjustable rear sight was easy to zero, giving positive clicks on adjustment, and we were able to start getting hits on center.

Moving out to 25, seated at the bench and shooting off of bags, we were able to easily print 1-2 inch groups.

We finished off all 200 rnds WITHOUT ANY TYPE OF MALFUNCTION WHATSOEVER. This Fusion just ran and ran on the WWB ammo.

In a word, the Fusion just felt smoooth. There is no clunky mechanical feeling to the cycling. Although the slide is obviously hand-fit nice and tight to the frame, there is no sense that the parts are binding. The slide feels silky smooth, as if moving on a ball bearings. The trigger, which I am guessing falls in the 4 lb. range, is delightfully crisp. All mags seated instantly and positively and ejected with authority. Brass was ejected out and away from the shooter.

My next range report will hopefully be from a nice warm indoor range. I will run some HP through the gun and try and have some test targets from various ranges.

Based on my first range experience, I could not be more happy with my purchase. For $1,100, I have a special gun, made up to my specs, with the hand-fitting and attention to detail of guns costing hundreds of dollars more, and with the knowledge that if I do encounter any problems or simply need a a little advice, I can pick up the phone just about any time and be chatting instantly with Bob Serva, the very guy who built my gun.

Don't tell my wife, but I definately see a 10mm longslide in my future.

·
Registered
632 Posts
RANGE REPORT 1:

Went to the outdoor range a few weeks ago. Given the cold conditions, I really was not planning on shooting for accuracy, but only to ensure that the firearm was functioning properly. I met three other friends at the range, with hopes that they would help me put some rounds through the Fusion.

We put out targets at 12 and 25. The only ammo used was WWB. I brought two 100 rnd boxes.

In addition to the Novak mags that came with the gun, I brought one extra McCormick 8 rnd Power Mag.

Having come from shooting a Beretta 92, which exhibits fine "combat accuracy", I was blown away by just how accurate the Fusion was. (So, this is what you guys mean when you talk about "groups") At 12, the gun was printing big ragged holes, just left of center. The adjustable rear sight was easy to zero, giving positive clicks on adjustment, and we were able to start getting hits on center.

Moving out to 25, seated at the bench and shooting off of bags, we were able to easily print 1-2 inch groups.

We finished off all 200 rnds WITHOUT ANY TYPE OF MALFUNCTION WHATSOEVER. This Fusion just ran and ran on the WWB ammo.

In a word, the Fusion just felt smoooth. There is no clunky mechanical feeling to the cycling. Although the slide is obviously hand-fit nice and tight to the frame, there is no sense that the parts are binding. The slide feels silky smooth, as if moving on a ball bearings. The trigger, which I am guessing falls in the 4 lb. range, is delightfully crisp. All mags seated instantly and positively and ejected with authority. Brass was ejected out and away from the shooter.

My next range report will hopefully be from a nice warm indoor range. I will run some HP through the gun and try and have some test targets from various ranges.

Based on my first range experience, I could not be more happy with my purchase. For $1,100, I have a special gun, made up to my specs, with the hand-fitting and attention to detail of guns costing hundreds of dollars more, and with the knowledge that if I do encounter any problems or simply need a a little advice, I can pick up the phone just about any time and be chatting instantly with Bob Serva, the very guy who built my gun.

Don't tell my wife, but I definately see a 10mm longslide in my future.
Great to hear you have a keeper! I WILL OWN a Fusion 10mm longslide. Guaranteed. Saving money now. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Range Report 2:

Up until this time, I have put 300 trouble free rounds of WWB 230 grain FMJ through the Fusion. This morning, I ran 3 different brands of HP and two brands of FMJ, including the following:

.45 ACP Hornady Handgun Cartridge, 185-Grain HP/XTP Bullet, 970 fps,

.45 Auto Remington 185 Grain JHP Golden Saber

.45 Auto Winchester Super-X, 185-Grain Silvertip Hollow Point, 1000 fps,

.45 ACP Blazer Brass Centerfire Handgun Cartridge, 230-Grain Full Metal Jacket Round Nose Bullet, 830 fps,

.45 Auto, Hornandy Handgun Cartridge, 230-Grain Full Metal Jacket, Round Nose Bullet, 850 fps, 20 Rounds Per Box

As expected, no feed issues whatsoever from the 230 grain round nose. However, I would note that I got terrible accuracy from the Blazer rounds. The Hornandy 230 gn FMJ was wonderfully accurate and provided me with my best groups of the day. I think for day to day range work, I will just stick with the WWB in the Walmart value pack.

Switching over to the HP's gave me my first Malox moment. I started with the Winchester 185 grain Silver Tips. The second round failed to feed and I needed to sling shot the round into the pipe. The third round also failed to feed. Oh Crap! A gentle nudge and the round chambered. At this point, I am starting to get worried. My Fusion cam with a Novak, eight round mag, which is the mag I was using when getting my failures. However, I also have a McCormick 8 rnd Power Mag.

I immediately swicthed over to the Power Mag and ta-daaaaa....no more feed issues. Whew!!! All the other HPs fed perfectly through the Power Mag. (I should note that the Novak mags have never failed to feed FMJ, and I will continue to use them for range work.) However, after this mornings experience, I will be adding a few more Power Mags to my collection.

As for the HPs, I got my best groups from the Hornandy 185-Grain HP/XTP.

So, after about another 120 rnds of mixed ammo, the Fusion continues to run strong. The FTFs that I did have appear to be completely mag related and easily remedied with a switch to the Power Mag.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
I am another soon to be Fusion owner of one and most likely two of their arms. Right now its my decision on the finish for a 5-inch 45 to be a night-stand gun, then a long-slide in 10-mm for well, deer hunting.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Thank you for the very nice range report!
Let us know if you need any further help,
Bob
:):):)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts